Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

flipsy

Reaction score
So should I root now having FRG01B... or wait for the FRG22 update and root then?

If you're going to root, root now. There's no benefit to waiting except there might be another rooting app on the Market. DMUpdater should be out soon, if the Devs can figure out how to not leak an exploit to the hacking world that would put the entire Android community at risk. Easy Root will do it, but it doesn't do the greatest job of rooting -- though that could be (mostly) user error. The rescue squad is going bald helping out bad roots, and I've lost a few myself with a couple of people. :)

But, really, once you're rooted you can install everything you want, so there's no reason to wait if you want to do it.

Does Verizon intentionally leak these releases to get some beta testing in before the real release?

Yeah, we've wondered about that. The answer is we don't know. Of course, if a company were leaking things it'd be Motorola, not Verizon. Most likely it's an employee and the company might be turning a blind eye, thinking "free beta testing". I stress the might because I can see people losing their jobs over the leaks.

If I were to root now, I wouldn't be able to download Flash Player off the market correct? Don't you have to have FRG22 first to download flash off the market? This is why I'm hesitating to root now or later.

paulmac

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and my droid said there was an update available and I could choose to install, install later, or more info. It was for Froyo 2.2. I told it to install but it failed immediatly. Probably cause my phone is rooted, and I already have (and have had for a few weeks) 2.2. So in my case an uneeded update, but they appear to be going forward.

exhobass

Reaction score
Update received

I have received the froyo update on my Moto Droid from VZW. I'm already running bugless beast with 2.2. Should I ignore the VZW update? I mean it seems like i have what i need and i don't want to change it but the update notification on my phone wont go away!

Thanks

exhobass

Reaction score
BTW i havent installed the VZW update and dunno if its even safe to do after ive rooted and rommed my phone.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have received the froyo update on my Moto Droid from VZW. I'm already running bugless beast with 2.2. Should I ignore the VZW update? I mean it seems like i have what i need and i don't want to change it but the update notification on my phone wont go away!

Thanks
This might help.

-Matt
for those of you manually updated to frg01b or frg22 and receiving the OTA push notificiation, how do you stop it from popping back up???
I'm rooted and running a leak of FRG22. Supposedly you accept the update, and when it attempts to install, it fails when recovery starts. That's what I did, more or less, and when I restarted the phone the update notification was gone.

(I did a full backup afterward, and noted the backup file was almost 100Mb larger than normal. After poking around a bit, I found the update file--exactly the same as the one that can be downloaded and manually installed--sitting in the cache folder. Deleted it to clear up some space.)

-Matt

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
So should I root now having FRG01B... or wait for the FRG22 update and root then?

If you're going to root, root now. There's no benefit to waiting except there might be another rooting app on the Market. DMUpdater should be out soon, if the Devs can figure out how to not leak an exploit to the hacking world that would put the entire Android community at risk. Easy Root will do it, but it doesn't do the greatest job of rooting -- though that could be (mostly) user error. The rescue squad is going bald helping out bad roots, and I've lost a few myself with a couple of people. :)

But, really, once you're rooted you can install everything you want, so there's no reason to wait if you want to do it.

Does Verizon intentionally leak these releases to get some beta testing in before the real release?

Yeah, we've wondered about that. The answer is we don't know. Of course, if a company were leaking things it'd be Motorola, not Verizon. Most likely it's an employee and the company might be turning a blind eye, thinking "free beta testing". I stress the might because I can see people losing their jobs over the leaks.

If I were to root now, I wouldn't be able to download Flash Player off the market correct? Don't you have to have FRG22 first to download flash off the market? This is why I'm hesitating to root now or later.

Neither update will currently let you see Flash in the market. I don't think the optimized-for-Droid version has been released yet. AFAIK only the N1 has a version in the market so far.

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
I just received 2.2 on my Moto Droid, Lincoln NE. It broke almost every app I have running on the desktop.
I can't send or receive text messages.
Freaking out, more to come.

aldaudio

Reaction score
I got my update this morning.
Before I installed it I disabled launcher pro and then let it update.

I must say it is quite a bit faster. Works great with both launcher pro and stock home screen.

Too bad I am at work to test out more stuff.

One thing I did not pay attention too was my previous baseband version. I think there must have been an update I have a great signal now at work in my office. My office being in the basement of a 150 yr old building service is usually spotty. Now I have had 3 phone calls and great clear service. No drops. I am liking that.

Now hopefully I am not last in line for the 2nd update.

i didnt disable launcherPro before updating, but i noticed after i updated my wisdgets seem to load slow when returning to the home screen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
I got my update this morning.
Before I installed it I disabled launcher pro and then let it update.

I must say it is quite a bit faster. Works great with both launcher pro and stock home screen.

Too bad I am at work to test out more stuff.

One thing I did not pay attention too was my previous baseband version. I think there must have been an update I have a great signal now at work in my office. My office being in the basement of a 150 yr old building service is usually spotty. Now I have had 3 phone calls and great clear service. No drops. I am liking that.

Now hopefully I am not last in line for the 2nd update.

I've noticed an increase in signal strength also. This is great, considering before in my room I got maybe one bar. Now there's only a couple small spots with only one bar, and the rest is all 2 or even 4 bars. I've almost never had a 4 bar signal.

No problems with messaging, camera, browser... nothing. I'm in total shock at how well this is working. And it's running so much faster!

My only wish is that the search bar was sleeker... it still sticks out like a sore thumb there. And 'm trying to find that awesome clock that so many other people have (I meant to ask the guy working on my phone who had it on his Incredible, d'oh...)

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
Update, after 10-15 minutes all the Widgets started working and text messages started flowing.
Now i have to find more stuff to put on the new home screens.
Tom

crackhadx

Reaction score
bleh

i recieved the software update in the morning when i woke up and everything works perfectly fine if not better, but theres one thing i absolutely hate about it!. the text message screen is now white as oppossed to the sleek black it used to be before, and everything aobut the text messages are horrifying. anyone know how i can change it back or at least make it better to look at?

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
i recieved the software update in the morning when i woke up and everything works perfectly fine if not better, but theres one thing i absolutely hate about it!. the text message screen is now white as oppossed to the sleek black it used to be before, and everything aobut the text messages are horrifying. anyone know how i can change it back or at least make it better to look at?

Ooh, someone else who hates it! I'm not fond of it either, it hurts my eyes a little.

And BlackWS, I would have been TERRIFIED lol. I had problems syncing Facebook to my contacts (I use it for the pictures really), and I had to go in, un-sync it in the Settings, and re-sync it, and it worked perfectly thank god.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
I may go to a 3rd party messaging app, who knows.

And I've stumbled upon my first problem: Market will not connect when I try to enter my credit card info. It keeps saying there's a server error and telling me to Retry or cancel.

Awesome, I find the app i want and it won't let me have it. Boo.

Sweettooth

Reaction score

Ooh, someone else who hates it! I'm not fond of it either, it hurts my eyes a little.

Ha! I'm not alone! I opened the Messaging app the first time, squinted and was like, "Wtf?" I spent at least two or three minutes looking for a non-existent option to change the background color. Who in the hell suggested white enough for Google to make the change??
Other than that, .wav files from Exchange not playing, and the screens going blank momentarily when exiting a memory consuming app or just opening/closing the keyboard it's an awesome update. I still hope this second 2.2 update starts rolling out soon and they can polish it some more. Rooting is fine if that's what you want to do, but us stock users need love to! :)