Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

db83

Reaction score
Just got my 2.2 update this morning on my moto droid. The phone now seems to run a bit slower, and I have had several crashes by the android launcher since. I like the extra desktops, but the cost is a bit much...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Just got my 2.2 update this morning on my moto droid. The phone now seems to run a bit slower, and I have had several crashes by the android launcher since. I like the extra desktops, but the cost is a bit much...
If it keeps doing that after a reboot you probably have a borked install and will have to either take it to Verizon or push a manual update using the file from the Circus thread...

And just a reminder to everyone, this is NOT about the first 2.2 push that you are currently receiving or not receiving, this is about a reported second push.

djspy

Reaction score
I went to a verizon store to swap my battery yesterday and I asked the person working there about the new build and she confirmed it.

I told her that ever since I got the first update my phone has been laggy and glitchy. She told me "yes, some people have experienced that and that's one of the reasons for the new build that's going to be pushed out."

I aksed her if she knew when and she replied "no".

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Hrm... I suppose it's nice to see that it's not just my phone that took a kidney shot with this update.

Even with an active day's use at work, my phone has never had less than 40% left on the batter when I left work. Today, on the other hand, it was down to 15% after a mere 6 hours of work (7 hours from leaving the charger). I had to shut it off to make sure that it didn't flat out die on me.

Also, I noticed a number of my apps quit working, most notably my Swype beta. "This software was designed for use on another phone." I realize that updates will often mean that the apps will need updating, but it was hell today having to go back to no Swype.

Here's hoping that they take care of those issues quickly. Well, most of what Google's responsible for would be the sudden battery drain, but I hope Swype updates their beta soon...

Droidist

Reaction score
I just got the update pop up. I hit install now and my phone was rebooted. It then took me to the SPRecovery screen where I hit reboot. After everything loaded, I checked the system info and it says android 2.1, LOL! I'm not sure what happened. I don't think I'm rooted since I don't have the Super User icon. Did SPRecovery block my update?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hrm... I suppose it's nice to see that it's not just my phone that took a kidney shot with this update.

Even with an active day's use at work, my phone has never had less than 40% left on the batter when I left work. Today, on the other hand, it was down to 15% after a mere 6 hours of work (7 hours from leaving the charger). I had to shut it off to make sure that it didn't flat out die on me.

Also, I noticed a number of my apps quit working, most notably my Swype beta. "This software was designed for use on another phone." I realize that updates will often mean that the apps will need updating, but it was hell today having to go back to no Swype.

Here's hoping that they take care of those issues quickly. Well, most of what Google's responsible for would be the sudden battery drain, but I hope Swype updates their beta soon...

Swype is a known issue. The fix is kicking around if you look. As to the battery, cycle it down till the phone turns off and then charge it uninterrupted for at least an hour and preferably two on the wall charger to get your phone to relearn the battery levels. This isn't for the battery, it's to force your phone to relearn charge levels.

I just got the update pop up. I hit install now and my phone was rebooted. It then took me to the SPRecovery screen where I hit reboot. After everything loaded, I checked the system info and it says android 2.1, LOL! I'm not sure what happened. I don't think I'm rooted since I don't have the Super User icon. Did SPRecovery block my update?

Yes. SPRecovery = rooted phone, even if you don't have root access in the OS. SPRecovery blocks OTA update installs to prevent losing root access in the OS. Either allow the update to install through SPRecovery, which should also get rid of SPRecovery, or install a 2.2 ROM with a build id of FRG01B to stop the udpate from coming down every couple of days and nagging you.

Droidist

Reaction score

Swype is a known issue. The fix is kicking around if you look. As to the battery, cycle it down till the phone turns off and then charge it uninterrupted for at least an hour and preferably two on the wall charger to get your phone to relearn the battery levels. This isn't for the battery, it's to force your phone to relearn charge levels.

Yes. SPRecovery = rooted phone, even if you don't have root access in the OS. SPRecovery blocks OTA update installs to prevent losing root access in the OS. Either allow the update to install through SPRecovery, which should also get rid of SPRecovery, or install a 2.2 ROM with a build id of FRG01B to stop the udpate from coming down every couple of days and nagging you.

Hey thanks for the reply. So, once the 2.2 update pops up again and I hit install now (which will reboot and bring me to SPRecovery) What do I do next? Do I allow the update or and then install update?

mr.kronic602

Reaction score
I just got my 2.2 upgrade about an hour ago it only took 3 minutes and did everything automaticly so far so good pretty smooth. Phx. AZ

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you want to take your phone back to stock, yes. If you want 2.2 stock but with root access there's a file or twelve for that. If you want a custom ROM...

If you want to take your phone back to stock I can have you there tonight without an issue unless the OTA would have done the same thing to you, or you can wait for the OTA update to drop onto your phone again and then you:

Boot into recovery, select install, select allow update.zip, select install update.zip (deprecated) and wait, reboot, wait, and hopefully nothing borked during install and will require more effort on your part. :)

Droidist

Reaction score
If you want to take your phone back to stock, yes. If you want 2.2 stock but with root access there's a file or twelve for that. If you want a custom ROM...

If you want to take your phone back to stock I can have you there tonight without an issue unless the OTA would have done the same thing to you, or you can wait for the OTA update to drop onto your phone again and then you:

Boot into recovery, select install, select allow update.zip, select install update.zip (deprecated) and wait, reboot, wait, and hopefully nothing borked during install and will require more effort on your part. :)

I ended up installing the FRG0b1 or whatever file from one of the links on this forum. That did the trick as I now am no longer rooted. I'm not sure if that was the same update Verizon was trying to push to my phone a couple of hours ago or if it was the FRG22 build. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the update pops up again. Thanks for your help!

Billyd

Reaction score
Ok in helping with my sanity, I got the OTA I guess on the first day. It took quite a while to perform including a reboot. I posted and took a video. ')

This was a stock MotoDroid that previously had the OTA 2.1 upgrade like most. It now reports 2.2 but the build is FRG01B again which I assume is what most actually have even if they mention 2.2?.

Not sure yet if it's right, some things are nice but seems to lag a little from time to time. I'm a 28yr computer vet so I have a really good feel to even the slightest hesitation in an app. Thinking it will be great when polished. (fingers crossed)

One other note while I can get to the keyboard, I have been using BW's widget forever it seems and have never had the little prob I just noticed. I just grabbed my cell to put in my pocket before leaving and hit on/off to kill display as we all know must be done, and then I stopped for a moment, thought, hit on/off again to see what time was on the BW clock,, I couldn't believe it said 12:03 when it was actually 2:30am.
I was like doh!!.. the time in the taskbar was correct.. I know, this could be a whole nother thread... lmao

If anyone has ever seen that let me know so when I get back I can start checking into that.
Sorry for the off topic, but Wtfo???.. wow..

Thanks for all the wonderful data, info and opinions etc..
X/BillyD..
icon14.gif

Ah, ok I just returned an hr and a half later finding that I had just previewed this and never posted..
When I got out the front door and in the car I pulled my Droid outta my back pocket and plugged it in as usual and laid between my legs on the seat. I have it set to stay lit when on charge but found it is always nicer if I unlock it also as when driving and receiving a call it can be difficult to unlock.
Anyway, point is,,,, after I unlocked it I watched and it took a min for the clock etc. from BW's to finally refresh and show up, but when it finally did it had the correct time..

Go finger, some weird fluky thing was going on I guess but still feel there is something unhappy laying dormant that is going to cause me some probs if not corrected soon..

Thanks again and now let me finally post this mess and F5 it and see if there is any good news. ')~
X/BD..

Dan.Droid

Reaction score

Yeah, I did the reboot yesterday. The Swype issue has actually already been fixed. I went to the site for the beta to see if they address it, and it said that a new version of the beta has been released. I uninstalled Swype and reinstalled the new beta apk and it's back.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
anyone else have a problem since the update with not being able to put their phone on silent? My phone now only goes as low as vibrate if i use the side button to control ring tone.

Also, has anyone been able to find where the media volume control is...it used to be in settings under sound.

I wondered about this after someone asked on another forum. So I searched here on this forum.

2.2 has two choices

1--vibrate and sound
2--silience and sound

Yep that's it. They removed it so you can't have silience, vibrate and sound.

There are widges on the market you could use if you need all three.

I don't know wy they removed the option to have all 3 on the side button. I rarely use vibrate, my phone's mostly on silient, but I liked the option and used it sometimes.

Thanks for that info. Maybe the second update will fix that. I loved having the option of silent/vibrate.

MrSnipy13

Reaction score
I manually installed 2.2 from this site. Its been great and no errors either. But my question is if I will still get OTA the official update? It was suppose to be by the 18 but I havnt received it.I havnt installed adobe flash 10.1,but I'm waiting till it is release in the market.Can someone please help. Moto Droid.
Btw, keep up the good work guys.