Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Shadez, Aug 12, 2010.

1. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    RE: Task killers:

FroYo has one built in, and running a second one is like running a second antivirus software on your computer -- they'll interfere with each other, get in each others' way, and bog things down like mad. You only need one. I have a dandy analogy for that, but it's non-family-friendly and probably inappropriate even though I don't swear in it.

Having lots of apps running won't eat your battery unless they're pulling data or keeping the screen alive. Your phone clocks waaaay down unless the CPU is being polled, and when you turn the screen off it goes to sleep, further reducing battery drain. The biggest battery-users on a stock phone are the radio -- 3G and phone calls -- and the screen.

The main theory behind using the task killer was to free up memory, but that's a near non-issue in the Android OS, and doubly-so on FroYo due to improved memory handling. The Android OS was built with the idea that the RAM would be limited in the first place, and provisions were made. Without getting too technical I can say you can trust your designers! :)

2. Brokn68

Brokn68 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got the update and like what I see. I especially love the new dock screen(s). Having it go to just date/time in a dim green, screen saver style is great.

3. dogwolf

dogwolf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.2 First Impressions

Nothing positive yet. (I'm not negative by nature, but gotta call it like I see it.) Hopefully I'll find some.

Downsides so far:

1. If anything, decrease in speed. OS dogs.

2. New car screen loses Maps button. You have to scroll to next page to get maps. This is the one function I used every time in my car. FAIL!

3. Helix Launcher (which I've loved as a great improvement over the native launcher) NOW CRASHES every time I hit the Home button. FAIL!
    But this is the responsibility of HL authors. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix soon! Pleeeeez!

4. nhat

nhat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for those of you manually updated to frg01b or frg22 and receiving the OTA push notificiation, how do you stop it from popping back up???

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I'm rooted and running a leak of FRG22. Supposedly you accept the update, and when it attempts to install, it fails when recovery starts. That's what I did, more or less, and when I restarted the phone the update notification was gone.

(I did a full backup afterward, and noted the backup file was almost 100Mb larger than normal. After poking around a bit, I found the update file--exactly the same as the one that can be downloaded and manually installed--sitting in the cache folder. Deleted it to clear up some space.)

-Matt

6. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Totally agree. The old dock screen was too bright at night. The 2.2 one is perfect. So far I like all the other changes too.

7. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +211
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    If you havent gotten the OTA update yet, goto Settings/About Phone/Check for updates and see if it works now.

8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Have you tried Launcher Pro?

-Matt

9. nhat

nhat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, time to give it a try.

10. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Give the update time. If after a couple of hours and a reboot or two it's still laggy as heck, the only option is to install the larger update file manually. It will clear your lag issues right up.

The maps thing sounds like a problem. Maybe there's a setting you could change or an app you could run to fix it.

Helix Launcher doesn't like FroYo. Why the Dev hasn't updated it considering the Android 2.2 SDK has been available for months is beyond me, but it's possible s/he/they don't care. Try ADW or Launcher Pro as already suggested.

11. LassieGal

LassieGal Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    This is my only annoyance with 2.2. I don't have an "official" car dock, though, so I have just replaced the "Car Home" shortcut with the "Maps" shortcut on my main screen. You can get to the Navigation function from there anyway.

12. srobster

srobster New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bleh, I still haven't got the first update yet but am still waiting. I tried going into settings>about phone>System Updates and it still says I'm currently up to date. :( I guess I'll just keep waiting for my 2.2 update though.

Search tags for this page
does spybubble work on motorola droid x2
does spybubble work with droid razr
droid razr m spybubble
how to install spybubble on a droid razr
how to remotely install spybubble on a droidx

items waiting to upload remote device offline

malwarebytes free download for droid bionic
spybubble
spybubble droid bionic
verizon galaxy s iii 4.2 update