Verizon pulls Android 2.2 "FRG01b" update for DROID 1, future updates uncertain

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if they stop updating the droid 1 does this mean that they will cycle it out?

From what I've seen in this forum, the D1 won't be able to run the update after this (Gingerbread). By the time that rolls out, I may be on to the Droid Pro (assuming everything I know remains true).

ohfire

Reaction score
I know Squat, I graduated from high school with him. 4 foot 3 inches tall and 245 pounds....Squat

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Being as impatient as I am I am tired of waiting around for Verizon to answer the question as to whether or not they have suspended the 2.2 update for Droid or not. My email to them was (copy and pasted from original email):

Message Body: I would like to know what the status of the Droid 2.2 upgrade is? I was told by 2 of your reps that it was supposed to start on August 3rd, but here it is August 9th and I haven't received anything nor have any of my family or friends which is quite a few people.
I am concerned because I read on the forum on your website that someone was told that Droid 1 owners were being put off on our updates because of the Droid X rollout. If there is truth to that statement I would say that is pretty shady. WE are already customers of yours, have been for many, many years so we should take priority.

*Now for their response (once again, copied and pasted from the original email from them):

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. I am sorry if you feel we have delayed your software update in any way, I can assure you this is not the case. My name is Devoni, starting 8/3/2010, Verizon Wireless introduced the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update for DROID by Motorola. The new software is being rolled-out from 8/3/10 - 8/13/10.

Software updates are automatically sent to random batches of mobile numbers by our system. If you have not received your update by 08/13/2010, please contact us for additional assistance.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your DROID Software Update inquiry today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Devoni
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service
That sounds like a VZW Rep to me on the other end of that e-mail of yours.

They have about as much information as anyone else does -- none -- and they're quite happy to spread it around. A VZW Rep is low-man on the totem pole when it comes to information.

You just have to wait or push the released update manually.

reschkerw

Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt. Yesterday I spoke with a Verizon Rep who stated, "I've heard froyo may be pushed back to September."

To me makes sense. Why would you release 2.2 on the D1 right before the release of D2 with 2.2. Pure marketing, why take away one of the bigger selling points for the D2.

marc295

Reaction score
wuyanks droid and gingerbread

Hate to burst your bubble Wuyanks but Gingerbread is not coming to Droid one. It can't handle it. In order for a phone to run gingerbread you have to have at least a 1ghz processor. Last I checked Droid 1 only has an 550 MHz processor.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hate to burst your bubble Wuyanks but Gingerbread is not coming to Droid one. It can't handle it. In order for a phone to run gingerbread you have to have at least a 1ghz processor. Last I checked Droid 1 only has an 550 MHz processor.
Google denied it was out of the question. Doesn't mean you're not right, of course. ;)

marc295

Reaction score
That maybe true, but we were promised froyo last week and the vast majority still has not received it because they are still working out kinks after all this time. I for one will not hold my breath for gingerbread on droid one. My contract is up anyway I'm just waiting for next year when LTE arrives and i can get a 4g phone. In the mean time if it does happen cool if not just the same.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That maybe true, but we were promised froyo last week and the vast majority still has not received it because they are still working out kinks after all this time. I for one will not hold my breath for gingerbread on droid one. My contract is up anyway I'm just waiting for next year when LTE arrives and i can get a 4g phone. In the mean time if it does happen cool if not just the same.
I hear that on the cool factor. Google is in no way responsible for our OTA, though, so while non-rooters may not get Gingerbread, by the time it rolls around the warranty will be up on just about everyone's phone anyway. And with the SBF files kicking around, nobody needs to know... ;)

Either it'll get shoehorned in by the ROM developers or enough features will be to keep people happy till they give in and get whatever locked-down offering Verizon is tempting us with.

Dual-core Tegra sounds pretty tasty to me, Gingerbread or Honeybun (my nomination for the next version's code name) flavor. Doesn't matter to me. :D

droidmikes

Reaction score
Hey all, I thought you guys might want to know that I just received the 2.2 FRG01b update OTA. It's 8/10/10 and I received @ 9:40 pm pacific time. WooHoo!!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

droidmikes

Reaction score
I wish I could. I would have had to have done it prior to mu upgrade. Frankly I didn't even think about it. I was just so excited that I just accepted the update.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Hey all, I thought you guys might want to know that I just received the 2.2 FRG01b update OTA. It's 8/10/10 and I received @ 9:40 pm pacific time. WooHoo!!

You don't know how happy this just made me, lol.
You just confirmed that they're still rolling out updates. Huzzah!

droidmikes

Reaction score

You don't know how happy this just made me, lol.
You just confirmed that they're still rolling out updates. Huzzah!
I actually had called VZW earlier and they had told me that the update had been delayed till the 18th. That just goes to show you how little the tech reps really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.