Verizon pulls Android 2.2 "FRG01b" update for DROID 1, future updates uncertain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizarrox

Reaction score
Motorola support page is back

Howdy folks! Long time lurker, first time poster...

Not sure if this was 100% the most appropriate thread to post in, but it certainly seems to be the busiest, so here goes...

A few days ago it was noted that Motorola had pulled the "Android 2.2 Software Update" page, displaying something like an "access denied" message if you tried to open it. Well, it's back now, as you can see here: DROID Android? 2.2 software update

Note that right at the top it says "We are pleased to announce the new Android™ 2.2 software update for DROID by Motorola. The new Android 2.2 (FRG01B) software update includes new features and tons of shortcuts."

Personally, I'll take this as a good sign that the rollout is/was in business, though I'm still curious to see if an FRG22 update shows up this week for the 01B that I manually installed (with mixed results) last week.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
LOL I'd say that's a sweet first post. ;)

No way the rest of you do NOT get 2.2. I agree with the guy that said that.
I cannot imagine going back to 3 screens now, BLECH!

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was planning to wait until the 15th (or until an official word) to make a decision on manual installation.
i did the manual, my phone is faster than ever, some lag problems i used to have seem to be gone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Threads merged. We have plenty of froyo threads, but thanks for contributing.

re747

Reaction score
LOL I'd say that's a sweet first post. ;)

No way the rest of you do NOT get 2.2. I agree with the guy that said that.
I cannot imagine going back to 3 screens now, BLECH!

I'm running an unrooted droid with 2.1. I've been anxiously waiting froyo since may, for the same reason you mentioned... I HATE ONLY 3 HOME SCREENS. about 3 weeks ago I downloaded LauncherPro & now I am happily running with 5 home screens (you can have up to 7 if you like). It was the first home launcher app I've tried and I was very nervous it would slow down my phone or mess something up, but my phone is actually much faster and I haven't had a problem to date. If anyone else is chomping at the bit for more than 3 screens but hasn't gotten an OTA upgrade/doesn't want to do the manual upgrade/or may have to uninstall the manual upgrade, you should definitely give launcherpro a try! I know this sounds like an ad or something but I am just really pleased with the app and I wish someone told me about it sooner (would have saved my hours and hours of trying to find out when froyo would be coming to droid), so I thought I'd pass it along.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
(A)nd curiosity strikes me... when they do release these updates, how do they send them out? is it a random pick of phones, or does it go according to when you purchased you phone/ activated the plan?

If it's like the last two, it's completely random, even down to the point of a person buying two Droids at the same time, but not getting the update on both at the same time.

When the one in December came out someone created a map on Google so you could "stick a pin" when and where you were. No rhyme or reason at all.

billyk

Reaction score
So, is this the thread for the latest on the OTA release slated for this week?

If so, what's going on? HookBill stated in a thread yesterday that the roll-out is going to "resume" but then there was no follow-up info that I could find.

Am I looking in the right place??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

azneelys

Reaction score
UPDATE from Verizon on Droid 2.2 Update

Being as impatient as I am I am tired of waiting around for Verizon to answer the question as to whether or not they have suspended the 2.2 update for Droid or not. My email to them was (copy and pasted from original email):

Message Body: I would like to know what the status of the Droid 2.2 upgrade is? I was told by 2 of your reps that it was supposed to start on August 3rd, but here it is August 9th and I haven't received anything nor have any of my family or friends which is quite a few people.
I am concerned because I read on the forum on your website that someone was told that Droid 1 owners were being put off on our updates because of the Droid X rollout. If there is truth to that statement I would say that is pretty shady. WE are already customers of yours, have been for many, many years so we should take priority.

*Now for their response (once again, copied and pasted from the original email from them):

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. I am sorry if you feel we have delayed your software update in any way, I can assure you this is not the case. My name is Devoni, starting 8/3/2010, Verizon Wireless introduced the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update for DROID by Motorola. The new software is being rolled-out from 8/3/10 - 8/13/10.

Software updates are automatically sent to random batches of mobile numbers by our system. If you have not received your update by 08/13/2010, please contact us for additional assistance.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your DROID Software Update inquiry today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Devoni
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

rustyb

Reaction score
Very informative. Thanks for that. I have a feeling it will be "Thursday". I will post here when, where, what time I receive it..:icon_cool:

droid15

Reaction score
So if they stop updating the droid 1 does this mean that they will cycle it out?

pizza3

Reaction score
The answer

It is painfully obvious to me. Why doesn't anyone else see it? While they may have started the rollout on Aug 3 it doesn't appear that anyone here has gotten one or knows anyone who has. The only logical conclusion is that they have singled out everyone who uses or reads this board or anyone that they know to get the OTA last. Probably 11:59 on Friday, the 13th. So take a nap and set your alarm for that time. Or maybe they started the rollout on the 3rd but only one person a day starting in Wasilla, Alaska. When they finish in Alaska they will continue with the rest of the nation. Just be patient. Or maybe they have been transmitting the OTA but their transmitters are broken and they don't know it. Or maybe, they decided since they are discontinuing the model there is no point in updating and is actually counterproductive to sales of other devices. Or more likely all the people who has posted here don't really know squat and Verizon will issue it if and when they feel like it. Then again I could be wrong.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is painfully obvious to me. Why doesn't anyone else see it? While they may have started the rollout on Aug 3 it doesn't appear that anyone here has gotten one or knows anyone who has. The only logical conclusion is that they have singled out everyone who uses or reads this board or anyone that they know to get the OTA last. Probably 11:59 on Friday, the 13th.

"slaps himself upside his head" Of course. Why the answer was right there in front of me.

So take a nap and set your alarm for that time. Or maybe they started the rollout on the 3rd but only one person a day starting in Wasilla, Alaska. When they finish in Alaska they will continue with the rest of the nation. Just be patient. Or maybe they have been transmitting the OTA but their transmitters are broken and they don't know it. Or maybe, they decided since they are discontinuing the model there is no point in updating and is actually counterproductive to sales of other devices. Or more likely all the people who has posted here don't really know squat and Verizon will issue it if and when they feel like it. Then again I could be wrong.

Pizza, that was kind of harsh. But that's ok, it's all part of the update. We do have sources, some of them are different. Right now we are in the "we don't know squat" stage. That could change very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.