Verizon to make FRG22 the official DROID 2.2 OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENOTTY

Reaction score
I'm kind of apprehensive about Froyo. On one hand, flash and the JIT will be great, but on the other hand, take a look at these issues: Froyo Sound quality issues resulting in degraded quality from Pandora Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code And apparently the volume control changed and got way more confusing. In 2.1 and earlier, it was sound -> vibrator -> silent. Anybody have any thoughts on these issues, especially the sound quality one? There's no way im willing to live with crappy music from Pandora.

Husher315

Reaction score
I'm kind of apprehensive about Froyo. On one hand, flash and the JIT will be great, but on the other hand, take a look at these issues: Froyo Sound quality issues resulting in degraded quality from Pandora Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code And apparently the volume control changed and got way more confusing. In 2.1 and earlier, it was sound -> vibrator -> silent. Anybody have any thoughts on these issues, especially the sound quality one? There's no way im willing to live with crappy music from Pandora.

I listened to Pandora for about 20 minutes today. I listen to a lot of techno and trance and I had one bad song and one great quality song. Then I put on a Rock station I have and it worked fine.

it could just be with some tracks, but who knows.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score

silentbob343

Reaction score

Disable stage fright and your sound quality issue will be gone.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Disable stage fright and your sound quality issue will be gone.

Can't do that unless you're rooted. The Pandora issue is legitimate, but could be fixed soon... or not. Depends on if this article is talking about FRG22 or 3.0: Pandora and Froyo Not Playing Nice, Issue Processing Audio Files | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The volume thing is a nuisance, too. But, 2.2 runs so much better than 2.1, for me anyway it's worth it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This update is starting to resemble the 2.1 update....:wacko:

Totally different. The 2.1 update never was launched at all at the rumored date. They did make an announcement but pulled back before the release.

The people that did get the 2.2 update have a fine working OS. It's better the 2.1, and hopefully FRG22 will be even better. I say that with a little reservation because I'm running it and have seen a thing or two here and there that I didn't see in FRG01B

armeddroid

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear there is official news on a patch for the FRG01.
I am non rooted and I got Flash to work but I'm guessing FRG22 will probably improve it. Hmm?
So we wait... again.
Ehh.. :[

and I type this from my Droid.

thinkmega

Reaction score
I just think it's funny that some people were so eager to cast doubt on the FRG22 build that we released and now it is to become the official OTA.
Just saying... ;)

Well, for me anyway, I didn't doubt the validity of frg22 (I did comment on it which is why I'm saying this). It was just REALLY weird that y'all had this leaked build right in the middle of the OTA frg01b starting. In other words, whatever was wrong with 01b that required frg22 was known about when it was pushed out OTA. The obvious question then being, why? So I know for myself, and a lot of others, we don't doubt you and p3, but it made no sense whatsoever. We're sitting there with the .zip for 01b, which, since it was the OTA file, we assumed was the "final". And then frg22 appears, with minimal explanation.

So, as always, we appreciate you guys, but this one was just weird, you can't blame us too much for wondering! ;)

I can't agree with you more! These leaks, new leaks in the middle of OTA just raise more questions than answers. I dont know how the release management is being handled at vz/moto/google. There are obvious quality issues involved. To the benefits of all of us, especially vz/moto/google, they need to handle this better or this "open source" advantage can backfire.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just think it's funny that some people were so eager to cast doubt on the FRG22 build that we released and now it is to become the official OTA.
Just saying... ;)

Well, for me anyway, I didn't doubt the validity of frg22 (I did comment on it which is why I'm saying this). It was just REALLY weird that y'all had this leaked build right in the middle of the OTA frg01b starting. In other words, whatever was wrong with 01b that required frg22 was known about when it was pushed out OTA. The obvious question then being, why? So I know for myself, and a lot of others, we don't doubt you and p3, but it made no sense whatsoever. We're sitting there with the .zip for 01b, which, since it was the OTA file, we assumed was the "final". And then frg22 appears, with minimal explanation.

So, as always, we appreciate you guys, but this one was just weird, you can't blame us too much for wondering! ;)

I can't agree with you more! These leaks, new leaks in the middle of OTA just raise more questions than answers. I dont know how the release management is being handled at vz/moto/google. There are obvious quality issues involved. To the benefits of all of us, especially vz/moto/google, they need to handle this better or this "open source" advantage can backfire.

Well, from my experience with Blackberry leaks are not the least bit uncommon. I've installed final releases that were leaked in Blackberry that were minutes away from being released to the public.

To me it's all part of the fun. :)

nateccnn

Reaction score
The FRG01b update had USB tethering. It's in the Networks submenu in settings. FRG22 will more than likely have that removed.

It's ight there where you said it would not be on my frg22 installation. I did not try it to see if it works, but the option is there.

Nate

mikeas

Reaction score
FB has released 1.3.1 which is supposed to clear up the battery issue.

bpad10

Reaction score
This update is starting to resemble the 2.1 update....:wacko:

Totally different. The 2.1 update never was launched at all at the rumored date. They did make an announcement but pulled back before the release.

The people that did get the 2.2 update have a fine working OS. It's better the 2.1, and hopefully FRG22 will be even better. I say that with a little reservation because I'm running it and have seen a thing or two here and there that I didn't see in FRG01B

I agree with you that the sequence of events are slightly different, but the same outcome has transpired. Had a projected date that everyone would get an update and then pull it for various reasons. Kind of comical if think about it...

Hey, if the new build gives us a better product than I'm all for it. Any news as to when they'll start the OTA again? I should really just root........very skeptical to do it on my own....

dwoid

Reaction score
As a corporate developer I can understand Verizon's pulling back on the OTA. It is *much* better to stop an implementation if there are serious enough issues to justify that. It is *much* worse to have 3 million Froyo users complaining of a glaring issue, customer support would never be able to deal with it and Verizon, Moto and Google would get a reputation like another prominent smartphone maker ("just hold it differently").

So whatever is different between G01B and G22, it must have been worth getting fixed before the full OTA went forward.

I'm continuing to have very good service with G22. I would recommend, as has been recommended by key Froyo developers, that you get rid of any resident task killers. I was having some severe system lag and battery drain until I took that step. I suspect G22 is more sensitive to that than G01B was.

Status
Not open for further replies.