Second Android Update 2.2 Froyo (FRG22 Rolling) Out Now

technique

Reaction score
This new 1.6MB FRG22D patch doesn't work for me since I deleted some of the stock apps (google goggles). I get an error assert failed: "apply_patch_check("/system/app/GoogleGoggles.odex".

Any idea how to restore the stock apps from FRG01B?

technique

Reaction score
Nevermind my previous post, I didn't delete them, only renamed them .bak, thankfully. So I just restored the previous filenames and FRG22D installed successfully.

For the other poster asking about easyroot, I had rooted using universal androot (similar 1-click root) and FRG22D installed on top of my FRG01B no problem. But you will probably have to run easyroot again.

dwoid

Reaction score
This is from Google's website, and it is the size of the file that is supposed to be delivered, so it might be the right one...

That said, this update has a number of different files in it than P3Droid's FRG22D. It is of course a partial patch... Where P3Droid's FRG22D appears to be a complete update...

And more importantly, this new update includes a new recovery image. I have to wonder if this new recovery image is locked similarly as the recovery image has been on the Droid2.

If you like having your Droid1 rooted, or if you ever want to root your Droid1, I'd strongly suggest waiting to hear more about this from the pros before attemping to install it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the question for some of us newbies is, if we rooted our phone using an app like "Easy Root," do we have to unroot before applying this update? If so, can the update (FRG22D) be rooted using Easy Root?

easy root doesn't work... about to try universal androot, or whatever it's called

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the question for some of us newbies is, if we rooted our phone using an app like "Easy Root," do we have to unroot before applying this update? If so, can the update (FRG22D) be rooted using Easy Root?

easy root doesn't work... about to try universal androot, or whatever it's called

nevermind, according to droid-life, androot doesn't work either

technique

Reaction score

nevermind, according to droid-life, androot doesn't work either

Confirmed, I just went from rooted FRG01B to unrooted FRG22D.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is from Google's website, and it is the size of the file that is supposed to be delivered, so it might be the right one...

That said, this update has a number of different files in it than P3Droid's FRG22D. It is of course a partial patch... Where P3Droid's FRG22D appears to be a complete update...

And more importantly, this new update includes a new recovery image. I have to wonder if this new recovery image is locked similarly as the recovery image has been on the Droid2.

If you like having your Droid1 rooted, or if you ever want to root your Droid1, I'd strongly suggest waiting to hear more about this from the pros before attemping to install it.

I tried to install it. SPRecovery blocked it. I renamed the file update.zip and it still blocked it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's official, and the bootloader is not locked (I just flashed sprecovery). It has a new feature built into it (like FRG01B) where it restores stock recovery upon reboot after flashing sprecovery (or cw), but that can be worked around.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's official, and the bootloader is not locked (I just flashed sprecovery). It has a new feature built into it (like FRG01B) where it restores stock recovery upon reboot after flashing sprecovery (or cw), but that can be worked around.

Here's the thread by Motocache talking about what he calls FRS (Flash Recovery Service): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
So this means Droids can be rooted post-patch?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's the thread by Motocache talking about what he calls FRS (Flash Recovery Service): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Sorry - that thread links to it, but here's the actual thread discussing it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-feature-undo-custom-recovery-partitions.html

Osprey

Reaction score
To sum this stuff up...it appears there is no advantage to updating to FRG22D. (I already have FlashPlayer) if someone is on a custom ROM FRG22D would nullify the ROM more than likely unless the builder had it setup to run on 22D. I understand EasyRoot and the other one-click app will not work on 22D so someone would have to do the other work around to root. As of right now it would just be better to wait if phone is rooted and have FlashPlayer etc. than going to FRG22D. Did I hit that on the head? Just a few replies will suffice.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yes osprey ......22D will only benifit the non root users.

Sent from my Droid

Bear in NM

Reaction score
To sum this stuff up...it appears there is no advantage to updating to FRG22D. (I already have FlashPlayer) if someone is on a custom ROM FRG22D would nullify the ROM more than likely unless the builder had it setup to run on 22D. I understand EasyRoot and the other one-click app will not work on 22D so someone would have to do the other work around to root. As of right now it would just be better to wait if phone is rooted and have FlashPlayer etc. than going to FRG22D. Did I hit that on the head? Just a few replies will suffice.

Osprey,

While I do not want to contradict CK (as he has the ability to send me to oblivion:)), the advantage I see to 22D with regard to market is having flash and other google apps installed properly. By properly I mean with the ability to get automatic market updates. I had the original FRF22 installed, but quite a few of the newer google apps and flash were via manual install, with no market link.

One other point is that CVPCS reported (more confirmed) that there are indeed a couple of different files as they relate to gps and wifi. So, if your phone is running fine on all points, and you can live with keeping manual track of some apps, then you are probably good to go.

Craig

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this means Droids can be rooted post-patch?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Evidently, yes. I haven't tried it myself (about to), but a couple of people are reporting that they were able to get root access post today's official 22D OTA patch with Motocache's method.