Second Android Update 2.2 Froyo (FRG22 Rolling) Out Now

dwoid

Reaction score
The big thing I didn't like is that the Market update changed my build number to FRG22. Plus there were other more subtle non-vanilla changes that got made, giving me a feeling of mis-matched builds.

After seeing that, I just reloaded P3's FRG22D and Chevy's kernel of choice, did a little housekeeping and was back to where I was before the Market update. Could have restored a backup, but didn't need to.

You don't have to do much to get back home.

:)

DOH :icon_eek:, too late. Your message was received about a minute after I updated. i still can't install the google apps mentioned above but the others did show up. I knew I should have done a Nandroid backup first.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
OK and update from me. I was running the original FRG22 with 928's theme, and a few things manually installed. I tried to update to FRG22D and had a major bork with SU, likley because I had updated ny SU manually with the XDA files.

I went back and performed a complete wipe and factory reset. I got back 46 of my 51 market apps, with the only problems being Temp Monitor, a Shooting ballistic program, voice search, maps and google search. Redownloading the shooting program and temp monitor was successful, and I will fiddle with the other Google apps now. But, I immediately performed a search for Flash, and low and behold, there it was, as has been reported. Just installed, 10.1 from the market.

Craig

dwoid

Reaction score
Glad you're back up and running, Craig. Interesting about the manual SU install, clearly not something I've run into, but I tend to try to stay with the automated leak installs because they know more than I do. I was tempted to try a manual rooting and update with OTA FRG01B just for the learning, but then FRG22D came out and I figured I'd just go with that.

I haven't noticed any major differences with the Market Flash, but I do like not having to keep the non-market Flash around on my sdcard anymore. dancedroid

Market is running nicely, in addition to Flash, I've done a number of successful app updates from it. I do have some apps not showing up there, but if I remember correctly, I also had that happen with the 2.1 upgrade for a day or so after it was released in OTA, then everything showed up appropriately.

I think it's time for a backup. I like the way this is all running.

OK and update from me. I was running the original FRG22 with 928's theme, and a few things manually installed. I tried to update to FRG22D and had a major bork with SU, likley because I had updated ny SU manually with the XDA files.

I went back and performed a complete wipe and factory reset. I got back 46 of my 51 market apps, with the only problems being Temp Monitor, a Shooting ballistic program, voice search, maps and google search. Redownloading the shooting program and temp monitor was successful, and I will fiddle with the other Google apps now. But, I immediately performed a search for Flash, and low and behold, there it was, as has been reported. Just installed, 10.1 from the market.

Craig

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Glad you're back up and running, Craig. Interesting about the manual SU install, clearly not something I've run into, but I tend to try to stay with the automated leak installs because they know more than I do. I was tempted to try a manual rooting and update with OTA FRG01B just for the learning, but then FRG22D came out and I figured I'd just go with that.

I haven't noticed any major differences with the Market Flash, but I do like not having to keep the non-market Flash around on my sdcard anymore. dancedroid

Market is running nicely, in addition to Flash, I've done a number of successful app updates from it. I do have some apps not showing up there, but if I remember correctly, I also had that happen with the 2.1 upgrade for a day or so after it was released in OTA, then everything showed up appropriately.

I think it's time for a backup. I like the way this is all running.

Craig

I hear you. I am back almost 100% now. The only thing I have not reinstalled is the equalizer ap, and decided upon what I want to do with the music ap. Otherwise I am where I was, market, flash and all. I did have to use Motaboy's tweak for Maps (thanks MB). That was a wierd one, as it does not make sense that if this what will OTA, maps would have to be uninstalled from system (or be in there in the first place) if it needs to be in data. Head scratcher for sure. The only apps that gave me issues were google apps, and one would speculate if this "ota" file was proper, the google apps should be the least problematic. Dunno.....

I am gonna run with the stock kernel for a few days, and even the white notification bar, as I always do when doing this kind of upgrade. When I flash custom roms I tend to go crazy, but with the "stock" I like to get a feel for everything before tweaking. All in all, this was a little more problematic than the first 22, but not terrible by any stretch.

The only other thing I would note for anyone reading this far is that if you have done much in the way of non-market customizations (like xda hacks etc.) or are running a theme, you might want to consider a full wipe and factory reset. Things are a bit different these days compared to the way they were back in the 2.0 days, with all of the xml changes.

Craig

dwoid

Reaction score
Yup, I have to agree, if you're doing a lot of theme work, or coming from a ROM that does lots of themes, you almost have to do a complete-everything wipe.

My theme days came close to an end back in the DroidMod days when I began to see that every time there was an update my themes disappeared. Then when Metamorph moved to XML and obsoleted all my custom themes, I had enough, it just wasn't worth it. Since then, other than experimenting with other ROMs to see what they were like, I've either run with stock-rooted leaks or with BB, which was heavy on system tools and relatively light on theme work. Lately I use ADW's themes if I want something "special".

As mentioned, I've never had to do a complete wipe to get these leaks/ROMs working properly. I do routinely wipe cache, especially before flashing or restoring a backup, until yesterday when I started to observe that if I delete the FRG01B OTA file, I'll get another OTA in the mail.

Anyway, did my backups to sdcard, copied sdcard to PC. I'm safe and my Droid is dancing. dancedroid

The only other thing I would note for anyone reading this far is that if you have done much in the way of non-market customizations (like xda hacks etc.) or are running a theme, you might want to consider a full wipe and factory reset. Things are a bit different these days compared to the way they were back in the 2.0 days, with all of the xml changes.
Craig

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Use root explorer to remove voice search and quick search from system/app folder, reboot and then install. I will edit this post for the maps fix once I find my post on mdw.

That didn't work so well. I accidentally deleted maps also and was unable to get that install at all. google search didn't come back either. So I just went back to the original P3 FRG22 rooted leak. I'm gonna sit here for a bit and let the dust settle plus I don't have a lot of time the next few days to be working on it. Maybe early next week or Sunday eve I may try again. I'm really suprised I'm not seeing this same issue from somebody else in this forum. I'm gonna read thru the MDW thread and see if there is anything posted over there.
Thanks for your help.!

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
That didn't work so well. I accidentally deleted maps also and was unable to get that install at all. google search didn't come back either. So I just went back to the original P3 FRG22 rooted leak. I'm gonna sit here for a bit and let the dust settle plus I don't have a lot of time the next few days to be working on it. Maybe early next week or Sunday eve I may try again. I'm really suprised I'm not seeing this same issue from somebody else in this forum. I'm gonna read thru the MDW thread and see if there is anything posted over there.
Thanks for your help.!

Copy the maps.apk from the update to the system/app folder, set the permissons properly, reboot and run maps once. After you run it then follow the adb commands to remove it. Reboot after it is removed and then goto market for download and install. Search worked for me after I removed googlequicksearch or whatever it was called. A reboot is always good after removing an apk to install an update.

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I still haven't gotten the update. Is there an update.zip of the patch floating around yet?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten the update. Is there an update.zip of the patch floating around yet?

not yet - because evidently zero people, on the forums anyway, have actually received the frg22d ota yet...

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Good news for owners of the original Motorola DROID desperate to see their web pages clogged up with Flash adverts, videos, games and animations. Verizon has just confirmed to us that they’re pushing out an update for the DROID that will allow owners to download Adobe’s Flash Player 10.1 from the Android Market.

motorola_droid1.jpg

“Verizon Wireless has begun pushing an update today to the DROID by Motorola (introduced November 2009) that will allow customers to download Adobe Flash 10.1 via Android Market. Flash Player 10.1 provides access to millions of sites with rich content including animations, casual games, videos, rich internet applications, audio and much more.”
The news comes on the heels of the Android 2.2 Froyo update for the DROID, which recently began distribution OTA. It brings the DROID up to date with the DROID 2, software wise, though the second-generation model does have Motorola’s MOTOBLUR social networking enhancements.

[via Android Community]
Engadget

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news for owners of the original Motorola DROID desperate to see their web pages clogged up with Flash adverts, videos, games and animations. Verizon has just confirmed to us that they’re pushing out an update for the DROID that will allow owners to download Adobe’s Flash Player 10.1 from the Android Market.

“Verizon Wireless has begun pushing an update today to the DROID by Motorola (introduced November 2009) that will allow customers to download Adobe Flash 10.1 via Android Market. Flash Player 10.1 provides access to millions of sites with rich content including animations, casual games, videos, rich internet applications, audio and much more.”
The news comes on the heels of the Android 2.2 Froyo update for the DROID, which recently began distribution OTA. It brings the DROID up to date with the DROID 2, software wise, though the second-generation model does have Motorola’s MOTOBLUR social networking enhancements.

[via Android Community]
Engadget

cool - maybe this one will roll out quicker given how small an update it is

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm….seeing as I'm getting the Droid 2 on Tuesday maybe I'll just let the push come in and actually install it and put my phone back to stock.

dwoid

Reaction score
It was an interesting revelation last night for me to see Flash showing up in the Market, running vanilla P3's FRG22D, after only clearing the Market app's cache and data. It does what Verizon has said FRG22D would do. Judging from this functionality and the smoother, crisper operation it provides, I suspect it's the real thing, at least for rooted users.