Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

matt23

Reaction score
ok I just uninstalled the task killer...I always thought that if I didn't always use this then all the apps would be running and drain my battery...thanks for your help

justinevan88

Reaction score
Get rid of task killers! They do not play nicely with froyo and eat your battery alive for most users!

How is it "bad" for the battery? Thanks

Because it takes the same amount of battery to have idle applications in memory as it does to have nothing in memory. So, when you "kill" a tsk, it just starts right back up again which uses more battery than it just idling in the background.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
RE: Task killers:

FroYo has one built in, and running a second one is like running a second antivirus software on your computer -- they'll interfere with each other, get in each others' way, and bog things down like mad. You only need one. I have a dandy analogy for that, but it's non-family-friendly and probably inappropriate even though I don't swear in it.

Having lots of apps running won't eat your battery unless they're pulling data or keeping the screen alive. Your phone clocks waaaay down unless the CPU is being polled, and when you turn the screen off it goes to sleep, further reducing battery drain. The biggest battery-users on a stock phone are the radio -- 3G and phone calls -- and the screen.

The main theory behind using the task killer was to free up memory, but that's a near non-issue in the Android OS, and doubly-so on FroYo due to improved memory handling. The Android OS was built with the idea that the RAM would be limited in the first place, and provisions were made. Without getting too technical I can say you can trust your designers! :)

Brokn68

Reaction score
Got the update and like what I see. I especially love the new dock screen(s). Having it go to just date/time in a dim green, screen saver style is great.

dogwolf

Reaction score
2.2 First Impressions

Nothing positive yet. (I'm not negative by nature, but gotta call it like I see it.) Hopefully I'll find some.

Downsides so far:

1. If anything, decrease in speed. OS dogs.

2. New car screen loses Maps button. You have to scroll to next page to get maps. This is the one function I used every time in my car. FAIL!

3. Helix Launcher (which I've loved as a great improvement over the native launcher) NOW CRASHES every time I hit the Home button. FAIL!
But this is the responsibility of HL authors. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix soon! Pleeeeez!

nhat

Reaction score
for those of you manually updated to frg01b or frg22 and receiving the OTA push notificiation, how do you stop it from popping back up???

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for those of you manually updated to frg01b or frg22 and receiving the OTA push notificiation, how do you stop it from popping back up???
I'm rooted and running a leak of FRG22. Supposedly you accept the update, and when it attempts to install, it fails when recovery starts. That's what I did, more or less, and when I restarted the phone the update notification was gone.

(I did a full backup afterward, and noted the backup file was almost 100Mb larger than normal. After poking around a bit, I found the update file--exactly the same as the one that can be downloaded and manually installed--sitting in the cache folder. Deleted it to clear up some space.)

-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Got the update and like what I see. I especially love the new dock screen(s). Having it go to just date/time in a dim green, screen saver style is great.

Totally agree. The old dock screen was too bright at night. The 2.2 one is perfect. So far I like all the other changes too.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
If you havent gotten the OTA update yet, goto Settings/About Phone/Check for updates and see if it works now.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nothing positive yet. (I'm not negative by nature, but gotta call it like I see it.) Hopefully I'll find some.

Downsides so far:

2. New car screen loses Maps button. You have to scroll to next page to get maps. This is the one function I used every time in my car. FAIL!

3. Helix Launcher (which I've loved as a great improvement over the native launcher) NOW CRASHES every time I hit the Home button. FAIL!
But this is the responsibility of HL authors. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix soon! Pleeeeez!
Have you tried Launcher Pro?

-Matt

nhat

Reaction score
I'm rooted and running a leak of FRG22. Supposedly you accept the update, and when it attempts to install, it fails when recovery starts. That's what I did, more or less, and when I restarted the phone the update notification was gone.

(I did a full backup afterward, and noted the backup file was almost 100Mb larger than normal. After poking around a bit, I found the update file--exactly the same as the one that can be downloaded and manually installed--sitting in the cache folder. Deleted it to clear up some space.)

-Matt

thanks for the info, time to give it a try.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Downsides so far:

Give the update time. If after a couple of hours and a reboot or two it's still laggy as heck, the only option is to install the larger update file manually. It will clear your lag issues right up.

The maps thing sounds like a problem. Maybe there's a setting you could change or an app you could run to fix it.

Helix Launcher doesn't like FroYo. Why the Dev hasn't updated it considering the Android 2.2 SDK has been available for months is beyond me, but it's possible s/he/they don't care. Try ADW or Launcher Pro as already suggested.