Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
New car screen loses Maps button. You have to scroll to next page to get maps. This is the one function I used every time in my car. FAIL!

This is my only annoyance with 2.2. I don't have an "official" car dock, though, so I have just replaced the "Car Home" shortcut with the "Maps" shortcut on my main screen. You can get to the Navigation function from there anyway.

srobster

Reaction score
bleh, I still haven't got the first update yet but am still waiting. I tried going into settings>about phone>System Updates and it still says I'm currently up to date. :( I guess I'll just keep waiting for my 2.2 update though.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
bleh, I still haven't got the first update yet but am still waiting. I tried going into settings>about phone>System Updates and it still says I'm currently up to date. :( I guess I'll just keep waiting for my 2.2 update though.
Yes. After all, a manual update is out of the question.

The "trick" to call updates only works if you've been pinged to get it and it didn't download for whatever reason. People (Verizon employees) seem to forget that and then tell everyone it'll work no matter what.

MinnAcadia

Reaction score
I'm in Minneapolis and irritated that I STILL don't have the update. 2 coworkers got it today and they got their phones after me. Will be interesting to see if I have it by tomorrow morning.

dogwolf

Reaction score
Nothing positive yet. (I'm not negative by nature, but gotta call it like I see it.) Hopefully I'll find some.

Downsides so far:

1. If anything, decrease in speed. OS dogs.

2. New car screen loses Maps button. You have to scroll to next page to get maps. This is the one function I used every time in my car. FAIL!

3. Helix Launcher (which I've loved as a great improvement over the native launcher) NOW CRASHES every time I hit the Home button. FAIL!
But this is the responsibility of HL authors. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix soon! Pleeeeez!
Give the update time. If after a couple of hours and a reboot or two it's still laggy as heck, the only option is to install the larger update file manually. It will clear your lag issues right up.

The maps thing sounds like a problem. Maybe there's a setting you could change or an app you could run to fix it.

Helix Launcher doesn't like FroYo. Why the Dev hasn't updated it considering the Android 2.2 SDK has been available for months is beyond me, but it's possible s/he/they don't care. Try ADW or Launcher Pro as already suggested.

Per recommendation, I pitched Helix for Launcher Pro. Definitely snappier.
Thanks!

But I think the Maps thing is a fixed redesign. Apparently they decided to keep the car home screen to 6 buttons, and Maps lost out to Navigation. Pity for me since I rarely use Nav. I like to look at maps prior to a trip. Every day commuting to work I want maps to get traffic updates. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

So now you have to scroll to the next screen. On the bright side, they included 2 screens and on the second, along with Maps, is the brightness/dimmer button. That's a considerate addition.

But I gotta believe losing the auto/default access to Maps on the car screen will be noticed by many.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
True on the car home. I stopped using it when I put the FRF57 on my phone, so that was a long time ago, and just used Navigation at that point. Glad Launcher Pro is working for you, though. :)

Maybe when the next update rolls out it'll be fixed, or a program update in the next bit when feedback hits. Never know.

firemannelson37

Reaction score
Well obviously the updates wont be complete by midnight, cuz its 12:02 am on the east coast and no update for me yet...

TheCrusher

Reaction score
Does Verizon intentionally leak these releases to get some beta testing in before the real release?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So should I root now having FRG01B... or wait for the FRG22 update and root then?

If you're going to root, root now. There's no benefit to waiting except there might be another rooting app on the Market. DMUpdater should be out soon, if the Devs can figure out how to not leak an exploit to the hacking world that would put the entire Android community at risk. Easy Root will do it, but it doesn't do the greatest job of rooting -- though that could be (mostly) user error. The rescue squad is going bald helping out bad roots, and I've lost a few myself with a couple of people. :)

But, really, once you're rooted you can install everything you want, so there's no reason to wait if you want to do it.

Does Verizon intentionally leak these releases to get some beta testing in before the real release?

Yeah, we've wondered about that. The answer is we don't know. Of course, if a company were leaking things it'd be Motorola, not Verizon. Most likely it's an employee and the company might be turning a blind eye, thinking "free beta testing". I stress the might because I can see people losing their jobs over the leaks.

PhoenixAmazon

Reaction score
I was quite surprised Tuesday night when I was playing a game on my Moto Droid to allow it to perform a systems update. After it did its thing was falling in love with my phone again. Keep in mind that before I really loved my phone prior to the update.

Dingbat

Reaction score
I live in a VZW "Extended Area". Will I get the OTA or do I have to be in their 3G area? Thanks.