Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Is this just for droid or also droid x?
Droid 1 only. The Droid X has has its first update pushed back to September due to performance issues, probably related to MotoBlur.

Droid 2 Has 2.2 and the X is essentially the same except for the obvious characteristics. So you think the X is getting a different version of 2.2 than the D2? Or is this post an assumption of unknown facts?

The update needs to be configured to work with each devices individual hardware (processor, screen size and so on) so the update for one device is not totally compatible with another even if the UI overlay is the same on both devices.

jebmn

Reaction score
we got our 2.2 version 1b this am on wife's droid 1

jebmn

Reaction score
Since it's my wifes phone I am not sure when she got the message she really isn't a phone or tec kind of person

jebmn

Reaction score
Which post list what the update's are from 2.1 to 2.2 are I read speculations of what they might be or what is on Nexis1 but for the droid 1 is there a link to the list?

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Droid 1 only. The Droid X has has its first update pushed back to September due to performance issues, probably related to MotoBlur.

Droid 2 Has 2.2 and the X is essentially the same except for the obvious characteristics. So you think the X is getting a different version of 2.2 than the D2? Or is this post an assumption of unknown facts?

The update needs to be configured to work with each devices individual hardware (processor, screen size and so on) so the update for one device is not totally compatible with another even if the UI overlay is the same on both devices.

Same internal hardware with the exception of the HDMI port and minus a keyboard and the resolution of the screen is the same, so size doesnt matter.

Spyte

Reaction score
For 2.2 details see post by Shadez on or around page 3

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Still no update.
I was hoping it would be a good b-day gift today even but nope. Nothing.
Ah well I will eat cake with no FroYo. LOL

Well days not over and you should have it by tomorrow.. and happy bday :) :icon_ banana:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Same internal hardware with the exception of the HDMI port and minus a keyboard and the resolution of the screen is the same, so size doesnt matter.

And maybe there's a problem with one of those tiny little components that's causing an issue with the update? Early versions of 2.2 on the X had the same performance level of a scared 8 year-old with a tuba. The Droid 2 rolled with full FroYo and hasn't had any issues with speed.

Perhaps the guts aren't as similar as rumor has it? It'll be a few weeks. That's the problem with early adoption.

Still no update.
I was hoping it would be a good b-day gift today even but nope. Nothing.
Ah well I will eat cake with no FroYo. LOL

:bday2: You could always force an update -- what better gift than one you gave yourself that's exactly what you wanted? :D

still awaiting my first update too :( :( :(

So are a lot of people, but there are at least 2 days before Verizon has borked its own deadline. You could always push the update manually -- it doesn't void the warranty and it has a lower reported instance of issues than the OTA/automatic update.

bhjazz

Reaction score
Just outside of Seattle, WA with the 2.2 update this morning. FRG01B, version 2.2. So far, it's eating my battery alive. It's down to 40%. So far this morning I have done the following:
received and installed the udpate
checked my bus time
made one phone call
browsed the web on the bus (45 minutes).

Normally this would get the battery down to 80% or so. I'll just write this off as the cost of the update for now, but if there is a 2.2.1 coming, hopefully it's some battery tuning.

24 hour update: I think it was the update that took so much of the battery. Today's commute was back to normal as was battery usage.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Just outside of Seattle, WA with the 2.2 update this morning. FRG01B, version 2.2. So far, it's eating my battery alive. It's down to 40%. So far this morning I have done the following:
received and installed the udpate
checked my bus time
made one phone call
browsed the web on the bus (45 minutes).

Normally this would get the battery down to 80% or so. I'll just write this off as the cost of the update for now, but if there is a 2.2.1 coming, hopefully it's some battery tuning.

24 hour update: I think it was the update that took so much of the battery. Today's commute was back to normal as was battery usage.
Thanks for the update. The update can take a lot out of a phone, that's for sure, especially during the followup sync. If you were in low-signal areas and it was a bad signal day (we've all experienced those! :D) to boot, your phone was working overtime to do anything. If you continue to experience battery issues and you've updated the Facebook app, there's a possibility that your phone is reading the battery wrong. What you need to do then is let the battery discharge until the phone shuts off and then plug the phone in and let it charge off the AC adapter for an hour or more. This isn't cycling the battery, it's forcing the phone to relearn the battery. I had to do it and I've had great results with it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ever so true but I do not want to force it. I must be perverse.:icon_eek:

Nah, there are plenty of arguments for and against it. And I almost won the creepy post of the day award for my humorous attempt I decided not to post.

You may end up doing it anyway, though, if Verizon missed your phone for some reason -- but that's a few days off if true. :)

Durania

Reaction score
I think this may be a case of mis-informed store. My cousin went to the Verizon store here in Crossville yesterday and asked about the update. They told him it had been pushed back because of phones locking up. I am thinking they are only aware of it getting halted from a few weeks ago since people are still getting the update.

bimmerbill

Reaction score
I haven't received any update yet, and have been checking every couple of days. I'm on the east coast, north of Boston.