Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

Sal

Reaction score
It does seem odd. Usually, when these OTA goes ou on a given day, there are a lot of people who just check in on the forums to say so. Not today though....

They do it in stages, and there are times for a day when no updates go out. My wife hasn't received it yet either.

Yeah, it just seems that this whole second wave of the first OTA update -- a ridiculous concept to begin with -- has been crazy. One or two bursts, then nothing -- if you judge by forum member input.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It does seem odd. Usually, when these OTA goes ou on a given day, there are a lot of people who just check in on the forums to say so. Not today though....

They do it in stages, and there are times for a day when no updates go out. My wife hasn't received it yet either.

Yeah, it just seems that this whole second wave of the first OTA update -- a ridiculous concept to begin with -- has been crazy. One or two bursts, then nothing -- if you judge by forum member input.
So, who's taking bets on the first "will this work on my X/Incredible" question?

dwoid

Reaction score
So will this work on my IThing?

Do I have to hold it differently?

:icon_ banana:

jpedi001

Reaction score
someone please help me...im sort of new to this...been trying to follow the froyo madness. what exactly will we be getting. i still havent got the first 2.2 OTA...will i get both( the first and the revised one?). what is going on.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You'll be getting FRG01B at some point between now and (supposedly) the 18th, which is a significant date because that's when the first final (I hate saying that, but it's accurate.) build of Flash 10.1 for Android will hit the market. We're hoping for hardware acceleration on that. Until that date, the only way to put Flash on your phone is to manually install the .apk with a program like Astro.

I went off track there only to make sure you had all the basics. The circus that has been this update has had many, many people confused.

Once you get the FRG01B update, either OTA or by manually installing it, within a few days Verizon will be pushing a second update to your phone (or you can manually install THAT once we have the file off someone's phone or off the Google server), that may or may not be FRG22. The actual build is unknown, but it's supposed to tie into Flash in some not-insignificant manner.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I haven't gotten any OTA update yet. After reading the above information, I can assume that sometime between now and the 18th, I can expect 2.2.

That works for me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I haven't gotten any OTA update yet. After reading the above information, I can assume that sometime between now and the 18th, I can expect 2.2.

That works for me.
That is the believed time line since the first Flash build for the Droid will hit the market on the 18th, and from what Verizon says in the flier an OS update will have to occur before users can see it.

jpedi001

Reaction score
You'll be getting FRG01B at some point between now and (supposedly) the 18th, which is a significant date because that's when the first final (I hate saying that, but it's accurate.) build of Flash 10.1 for Android will hit the market. We're hoping for hardware acceleration on that. Until that date, the only way to put Flash on your phone is to manually install the .apk with a program like Astro.

I went off track there only to make sure you had all the basics. The circus that has been this update has had many, many people confused.

Once you get the FRG01B update, either OTA or by manually installing it, within a few days Verizon will be pushing a second update to your phone (or you can manually install THAT once we have the file off someone's phone or off the Google server), that may or may not be FRG22. The actual build is unknown, but it's supposed to tie into Flash in some not-insignificant manner.

thanks a lot. that cleared it up. i was just confused because people were talking about FRG01B being released OTA and then pulled and then a second update and i was like wait....i still havent gotten anything. thanks alot though.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quite welcome, and that's exactly what happened. It started rolling, stopped, a new update file appeared that did more than the original OTA update file, and all the while a newer build of FroYo had leaked at the same time as the OTA updates had started!

Talk about a circus. I'm seeing three rings and a whole mess of clowns.

Anyway, the information in the above post is the condensed version of the fun we've been having over the last two weeks. :)

Pack3t SynAck3r

Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion that if a "newb" asks a question, even if it's been answered before, if someone has a helpful answer it makes for much more pleasant reading than a bunch of "use search n00bz" posts.

I consider myself a pretty advanced user of all things technology, and I myself find that most forum searches are somewhat lacking when it comes to finding info.

There is the trick to search a particular site for particular search terms using Google, but not everyone knows how to do that.

quote]

There is the trick to search a particular site for particular search terms using Google, but not everyone knows how to do that.[/quote]

[/quote]

So why not clue them in? The format for googling within a particular site is

(your search terms) site:"whatever.com" {make sure no spaces between site: and the actual site/extension you are searching in}

example:

"froyo 2.2 features motorola droid site:droidforums.net"

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Or you could put it in like this site:droidforums.net +"froyo features" -furbearingmammal

The + means you want results that only have what follows, and the quotes mean you want those two words to appear next to each other in every search. The - means you don't want the word furbearingmammal to appear at all in every hit, IE you don't want to hear what I have to say on the subject. :)

For S&Gs, here's that Google search done for you.

site:droidforums.net +"froyo features" -furbearingmammal - Google Search

As you can see, I use FireFox as my default browser.

And remember, it's FroYo or Android 2.2 -- saying FroYo 2.2 is redundant, repetitive, pleonastic, superfluous, tautological, and above all so overused it's gauche. :)

captclueless

Reaction score
So, If I manually installed that "Full" 76 MB 2.2 update last week (the one that required you to root if you had installed the other 2.2 update), will I be getting ANOTHER update sometime after the 18th?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And remember, it's FroYo or Android 2.2 -- saying FroYo 2.2 is redundant, repetitive, pleonastic, superfluous, tautological, and above all so overused it's gauche. :)

This is off topic, but I have to say, I am VERY impressed with the vocabulary here. Even as a writer, I haven't seen some of these words in QUITE awhile. Very nice. :D