Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
OK, yesterday morning my daughter texts me to gloat about getting Froyo OTA. She also got 2.1 before me even though I got my Droid week one and I gave her hers for graduation in Dec.
Today I took mine to Big Red as I was having a problem even after a factory reset. During their bench testing I browsed the store and played with Droid 2. Long story short I'm getting a replacement for my Droid which is going to wifey and I bought the D2 getting a discount for extending my internet air card contract.
I'm digging stock Froyo scoring 1284 on the Quadrant full benchmark, enjoying 7 homepages, pre-loaded Swype and everything it's been touted to be, except of course, no flash yet but that's Adobe's issue.
BTW everyone in the store confirmed you'll all be getting the OTA shortly.
The build:
Android 2.2
Baseband version: BP_C01.09.05P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g59f0395

Boat,

As a point of clarification, the specs you list, specifically the baseband, are for the D2? I have never seen the baseband you listed as a D1 option.

Thanks,

Craig

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, yesterday morning my daughter texts me to gloat about getting Froyo OTA. She also got 2.1 before me even though I got my Droid week one and I gave her hers for graduation in Dec.
Today I took mine to Big Red as I was having a problem even after a factory reset. During their bench testing I browsed the store and played with Droid 2. Long story short I'm getting a replacement for my Droid which is going to wifey and I bought the D2 getting a discount for extending my internet air card contract.
I'm digging stock Froyo scoring 1284 on the Quadrant full benchmark, enjoying 7 homepages, pre-loaded Swype and everything it's been touted to be, except of course, no flash yet but that's Adobe's issue.
BTW everyone in the store confirmed you'll all be getting the OTA shortly.
The build:
Android 2.2
Baseband version: BP_C01.09.05P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g59f0395

Boat,

As a point of clarification, the specs you list, specifically the baseband, are for the D2? I have never seen the baseband you listed as a D1 option.

Thanks,

Craig

was wondering the same...

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Yea Im D1 also ..but hey, look at it like, if it does happen great..if not, oh well .. lol

I feel the same way so to speak. For us unrooted types, we're at Verizon's mercy. There is NOTHING we can say or do that will speed up the push.

Patience is all we need. I, for one, have stopped being concerned about it. When it happens, it happens.

That said, I do think it was a little odd that the X was released when it was with a total OS update scheduled to drop within the first 90 days of it's release. It should've dropped with Froyo...IMO. Less than optimal biz results.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Flash won't appear in the market unless you have it installed or you're possibly running some modded Nexus 1 code. If you want it, install the .apk with a file manager like Astro, free on the market.

I'm running my Droid 1 at 1.1GHz and I'm routinely pulling down 1300 on Quadrant, and at one point with this kernel I got 1550.

Yes, I'm rooted, and this isn't a root-or-not discussion, just saying that the Droid 1 isn't dead yet, EOL or not.

And Fenriswolf, I plan on watching you eat those words with ketchup. Old ketchup. :D

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yea Im D1 also ..but hey, look at it like, if it does happen great..if not, oh well .. lol

I feel the same way so to speak. For us unrooted types, we're at Verizon's mercy. There is NOTHING we can say or do that will speed up the push.

Patience is all we need. I, for one, have stopped being concerned about it. When it happens, it happens.

That said, I do think it was a little odd that the X was released when it was with a total OS update scheduled to drop within the first 90 days of it's release. It should've dropped with Froyo...IMO. Less than optimal biz results.
You could install the update manually.

hapster

Reaction score
Since the rollout has resumed, I've been wondering if anyone who did the manual update to stock 2.2 last week has gotten an OTA update notice. And if so, what happened? Did you install it? Did it work, or did it fail?

Sent from my Droid

alimar712

Reaction score
I saw an acticle on pcmag.com that says google getting sued by oracle for copyright infringement on them using javascript. It was strongly hinted at that this could suspend the OTA 2.2 update.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those who haven't followed the Froyo saga. Simply put VZW put out Froyo now because the D2 is live, and it is running 2.2 stock. The next update may or may not be FRG22 as I have heard it. Originally the update was pulled because of Adobe and Motorola not playing nice. VZW chose to release something instead of nothing which is good for all the end users. A little more patience will bring Flash to the Droid as well an updated build too

I'm thinking in this vein, let me know your thoughts or what your sources tell you.

Official flash vs beta - Hardware accellerated?

1. 10.1 for the mac (or PC dont remember) just got released with HW accel...

2. We know flash "Functions" (I'd say works, but people have varying interpretations of this) on 2.2 already, we've been using the beta on it for months.

3. So the 2.2 build works, but now they need to do something in the build to make the HW accell compatible, and I think they would be tweaking the OS a bit more for batt (crosses fingers).

In any case, this is good.

I went to install flash on my sapphire 1.0, but then decided to cancel as something will be going down next week. At the very least, I'll do the official release instead of the beta.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For those who haven't followed the Froyo saga. Simply put VZW put out Froyo now because the D2 is live, and it is running 2.2 stock. The next update may or may not be FRG22 as I have heard it. Originally the update was pulled because of Adobe and Motorola not playing nice. VZW chose to release something instead of nothing which is good for all the end users. A little more patience will bring Flash to the Droid as well an updated build too

I'm thinking in this vein, let me know your thoughts or what your sources tell you.

Official flash vs beta - Hardware accellerated?

1. 10.1 for the mac (or PC dont remember) just got released with HW accel...

2. We know flash "Functions" (I'd say works, but people have varying interpretations of this) on 2.2 already, we've been using the beta on it for months.

3. So the 2.2 build works, but now they need to do something in the build to make the HW accell compatible, and I think they would be tweaking the OS a bit more for batt (crosses fingers).

In any case, this is good.

I went to install flash on my sapphire 1.0, but then decided to cancel as something will be going down next week. At the very least, I'll do the official release instead of the beta.

I will get more info on some of this but 10.1 did just update for ym PC.

On Flash I believe it's still off the market even though we have the beta posted for the end users.

On the OS. I do expect it to get an update as the email suggested. I didn't ask why but I will today.

On Flash I have used the beta too and i say it works, but not effortlessly to me. The device still struggles with it. I continue to hear full Flash integration is needed. Meaning its not downloadable but built in to the OS

Sal

Reaction score
So, did anyone get anything of any kind over-the-air today?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I got a whiff of some impatience, but I don't think Verizon was responsible for that.

This rollout will only start after the last one is finished, so if you're talking about the first OTA you can either wait or install it manually. If you're not talking about this update you'll have to wait or root to install it manually from a leaked build.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
furbearingmammal - sleep

didn't you only have 100 posts a few days ago? :)

j/k obviously... you're like a help machine

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
furbearingmammal - sleep

didn't you only have 100 posts a few days ago? :)

j/k obviously... you're like a help machine
I tried sleep. I was up till about 4:30 this morning and still woke up before 10, and I had a busy day yesterday that kept me out from about 2PM till around 1:30AM.

You may have noticed I wasn't posting yesterday afternoon/evening. You may not have. The former assumes an ego I've tried very hard to suppress. :)

Back on topic here, I have the feeling FRG22 may have a bug or two they needed to work out, otherwise when the OTA resumed it probably would have been repackaged with FRG22.

Of course, they may have decided to roll out with FRG01B because they already had the package ready, then created the FRG01B "clean" install that JG and Pete released onto the scene to recover bad installs of FRG22 when it gets released without the risk of flashing SBF files in the stores. Development over at Motorola must be more hectic than a hot dog eating contest in Amsterdam's red light district, so I can imagine them pushing out FRG22, even if it has bugs, just to plug the hole while they work on other things for a while.

I guess what I'm saying is that anyone who knows exactly what's going to happen isn't talking, or nobody knows 100% for sure what's going on.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Well, this makes me feel a little better. I was honestly a little sad when I woke up and there was no update, but I'll try and be patient for a little longer. But if I still don't have it by the 18th, Verizon will be getting an angry call from me.