Verizon Confirms Second Android 2.2 Update Coming for Motorola Droid.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well, this makes me feel a little better. I was honestly a little sad when I woke up and there was no update, but I'll try and be patient for a little longer. But if I still don't have it by the 18th, Verizon will be getting an angry call from me.
Go for it. :) And then when they tell you to go to your local VZW store that can do software updates you can tell them you heard it here first. ;)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So, did anyone get anything of any kind over-the-air today?

Still waiting.
If you're going to hold your breath I'd like pictures of the pretty shades of blue you're going to turn before you either get it or give up and start breathing again. :)

If you're that impatient, go install the manual update.

tae111

Reaction score
Not impatient. Its just that some have said it would start rolling out this week and be complete by 8/18. I just figured if one person got the official update that it wasn't just another line of B.S.

tae111

Reaction score
I'm not impatient. I just figured if someone actually got the update by now than all the talk of it being released this week and completed b 8/18 would not be just another case of wishfull thinking.

Sal

Reaction score
I'm not impatient. I just figured if someone actually got the update by now than all the talk of it being released this week and completed b 8/18 would not be just another case of wishfull thinking.

It does seem odd. Usually, when these OTA goes ou on a given day, there are a lot of people who just check in on the forums to say so. Not today though....

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
This one was JUST announced and won't go out till the FIRST one is finished. That won't be for at LEAST a week. NOBODY will get this one for days. THIS rollout hasn't started yet. The LAST update hasn't finished yet. If you're talking about the last update it only JUST resumed and people were posting yesterday they got it in the circus thread.

Please do not get these two updates confused. They are totally different builds of FroYo. Whether or not the NEW update will be FRG22 is unknown at this time. All that is known is that this SECONDARY 2.2 update will be rolling out AFTER the original OTA update finishes.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does seem odd. Usually, when these OTA goes ou on a given day, there are a lot of people who just check in on the forums to say so. Not today though....

They do it in stages, and there are times for a day when no updates go out. My wife hasn't received it yet either.

dwoid

Reaction score
It is interesting to note that the very qualified folks who made stock-rooted-odexed FRG22 available to the Droid community did so after testing it for a number of days. Like the local DF thread's odexed 76.9 MB version of FRG01B, this stock-rooted-odexed version of FRG22 at 74.7MB is also a complete install with all the files, but it doesn't appear to have the scripts to update all the way from 2.0.

There is online documentation of experiences of at least one person coming into a VZW store with a Droid problem and having the non-rooted version of FRG22 installed by the store manager, so I would guess that it might be available and trusted in that current form.

Whether that "Manager's distribution of FRG22" is a final form, or whether it is functionally different from the rooted FRG22 that was released a few days ago is yet to be seen... But after having done bitwise-comparisons of many of the files in the large FRG01B and FRG22 builds, other than having SuperUser installed and the signature changed to protect the leak source, there are very few visible differences (other than the scripts). Because the Droid running-memory footprint of FRG22 is larger than FRG01B, there is speculation that FRG22 has tuning at a system level, possibly related to buffering that would improve Flash functionality.

None of us knows what is lurking in the minds of the Big 3 related to the official final Froyo OTA release. All I can tell you is that on my Droid, I ran stock-rooted-odexed FRG01B with the Flash beta when this build came out and it was very reliable. And I've been running stock-rooted-odexed FRG22 also with the Flash beta since this build came out, and it has actually been a little smoother and faster, slightly improved battery life and heat, and very reliable. I've had no issues with FRG22, and after having been running lots of ROMs, I'm pretty critical of how my Droid runs. I've had no reasons to look anywhere else after FRG22.

We're all going to have to wait to see how close this stock-rooted-odexed FRG22 is to the release that is actually sent out in the OTA. The OTA may be a different build number, or it may be FRG22. As has been seen with FRG01B, there is no guarantee that the build number identifies a fixed set of files, features or functionalities.

Just my .02...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just reinstalled FRG22 because I was getting random reboots with the big "stock for rooters." It could have been just clutter and junk causing the issue so when I installed FRG22 I did a wipe. I had a keyboard issue with FRG22, I don't seem to have that now.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I just reinstalled FRG22 because I was getting random reboots with the big "stock for rooters." It could have been just clutter and junk causing the issue so when I installed FRG22 I did a wipe. I had a keyboard issue with FRG22, I don't seem to have that now.

Well Ive never had random reboots before, but have had 3 since froyo update.. dont know if its that or something else.