Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you need a media manager..... just create folders on your sdcard and set your pc to sync with them when you plug in the phone... it's pretty simple.

Drag and drop files to and from your sycn folders.... plug in the phone and your done.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
They say 2.2 will be much faster, but...

I read that FroYo will use the JIT compiler to dramatically increase speeds (up to 450%, according to Linpack). However, I also read that this is only possible by taking advantage of the new 1GHz Snapdragons...

I'm not steeped in the technical workings of these things. Does the Droid get screwed out of these speed increases? Or will it just be far less dramatic?

Droids

Reaction score
I think those demonstrations were only performed on the snapdragon processors, but I could easily be mistaken. I'm doubtful that the Moto Droid will see a 450% increase in speed, that's pretty huge. But I do think our Droids will see a significant speed increase, something very noticeable, as well as the other goodies coming with Froyo.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think that JIT would make it to the Droid. Aren't some ROMs experimenting with JIT on the Droid? I don't think there's a technical reason why JIT couldn't run on the Droid, but I could certainly be wrong.

fallsgable

Reaction score
I am SO excited for Froyo ...I just JIT myself!

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

iPirate

Reaction score
How would it only be taken advantage of on the snapdragon? JIT deals with performance of java, everything android is java.

Where did you read this? Link?

Last edited:

KevinJ

Reaction score
You people. You're all in the dark. You have no idea what's going on.

I can tell you when 2.2 will be released.

Soon.

And that's a 100% guarantee.:)

J. Dub

Reaction score

Soon.

LOL. 2.2 is out. It's just not out for us common folk yet. That, we'll have to wait for VZ to clear.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Soon.

LOL. 2.2 is out. It's just not out for us common folk yet. That, we'll have to wait for VZ to clear.

No.

Test builds are out. The source hasn't even been released.

iPirate

Reaction score

Soon.

No.

Test builds are out. The source hasn't even been released.
I'm curious if Motorola gets the SDK before it is released. If they don't it is going to be another 3 months from when the SDK is release :(

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've no doubt they have received either that, or a test build directly from Google.

However, history has shown us that the source will be released when its ready, and its obviously not ready yet, hence neither are any of the test builds ready for primetime.

Please note, the SDK and source code are mutually exclusive :)

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Tethering

IMO, what Verizon will do (and probably should do) with the Wifi Tethering functionality is to make it an official feature, tied to the $30/mo tethering plan that they have for other phones. And then all the people tethering using PDANet/etc., should be hit with usage charges (going forward, that is).

Yes, that will probably result in tethering being limited to 5GB a month, but it should also keep the 3G network strong, and you'd be able to tether legitimately, without violating your contract.

iPirate

Reaction score
IMO, what Verizon will do (and probably should do) with the Wifi Tethering functionality is to make it an official feature, tied to the $30/mo tethering plan that they have for other phones. And then all the people tethering using PDANet/etc., should be hit with usage charges (going forward, that is).

Yes, that will probably result in tethering being limited to 5GB a month, but it should also keep the 3G network strong, and you'd be able to tether legitimately, without violating your contract.
I'm not going to pay more to use my data plan. If Verizon doesn't want people to use wifi tethering don't give us Android 2.2.

Reaction score

You need to read around more cause there are threads that basically disprove your entire post

Status
Not open for further replies.