Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This source is not giving me a definite day. Well the day has been moved once already. So I can't say that they know more then anybody else. Yet I don't know of any reason they would deliberately mislead me. I want and hope they are correct but I gotta look at what makes sense. June makes sense.

toddj

Reaction score
As others have stated, given the track record for the 2.1 OTA update, I wouldn't trust the release date remarks. But, it could be that they have learned from that experience and have a better estimate of time now. I hope anyway. A June release would be shocking, but still awesome.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I think that june is when the update will come out. Sounds the most reasonable. Unless it gets pushed back 4 times and we get it in august..

Droids

Reaction score
I posted before thinking the Droid will get Froyo first, but I changed my mind. I think on May 19th, Google will introduce Froyo, and it will be running on the N1. The Google conference is all about Google and the N1 is the flagship Google phone, for now. So it's likely Froyo will get pushed to the N1 first. Google doesn't have to wait for Verizon or anyone else's approval, if they have it working on the N1, then the N1 will get it pushed out first. The Moto Droid will get it second, as soon as Verizon gives it a stamp of approval. Then the Incredible will get it. At least Verizon doesn't have to make Blur work on Froyo, like HTC will need to do with Sense.

We'll all know in just a couple of days.

eeaarrll

Reaction score
omg.. do you seriously not understand this? the htc incredible is COMPLETELY IRREVELANT TO THE 2.2 FROYO UPDATE. htc controls all updates on their phones EXCEPT the N1 since it does not have sense. sense is completely different from just plain old stock android. sense is a giant puzzle intertwined. google doesnt have anything to do with the incredible except that htc takes googles updates and makes them compatible for sense. this will take however long htc wants to.

eliassami5

Reaction score
omg.. do you seriously not understand this? the htc incredible is COMPLETELY IRREVELANT TO THE 2.2 FROYO UPDATE. htc controls all updates on their phones EXCEPT the N1 since it does not have sense. sense is completely different from just plain old stock android. sense is a giant puzzle intertwined. google doesnt have anything to do with the incredible except that htc takes googles updates and makes them compatible for sense. this will take however long htc wants to.

take it easy there buddy

ExactDroid

Reaction score
My brothers cousin's uncle works for google...... lmao

Anyway.... anyone with common sense knows and understands that first google will release it.... then many months later verizon will try to release it... try as in the last time it took a few tries. :)

There will be no 2.2 for the droid anytime soon and in anytime soon i'm saying in the next few months... and yes I will put money on this as well... no matter who's cousin's uncle works for whomever. :)

It's just the way the game is played.... click, click, click,

fgw

Reaction score
#1 Wish for 2.2

If my windows remark caused this to go off topic I'm sorry. Can we get back on topic now?

sure. It should be safe for you to say "I'm going with the crowd for a june release even though I did hear from a somewhat unreliable source that they thought ... X ". That way if they are right you reported good news and if they were wrong we were warned :)

I agree, bluetooth voice activation is a big piece of missing functionality. I'd think as a phone and tool that was more important than Flash support would be. No doubt Flash has broad appeal for entertainment but for bluetooth users it is a stickler. It made a friend turn his phone back in within the 30 day trial period back in November.

Bluetooth voice dial. If that is the only thing I got on the update I would be totally satisfied. I absolutely do not understand why such a basic and necessary feature has been ignored. Should have been there on day 1.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
This source is not giving me a definite day. Well the day has been moved once already. So I can't say that they know more then anybody else. Yet I don't know of any reason they would deliberately mislead me. I want and hope they are correct but I gotta look at what makes sense. June makes sense.

If all you are talking about is the release from google, then say that please..... because really that means nothing and it's much a a worry. We all know it's coming from google... but that's not where it matters.... verizon is where is matters..... and again... not gonna happen for a while after g releases it.

Droids

Reaction score
Are you replying to my post? I said pretty much the same thing, didn't I?

trumpet444

Reaction score
whatever device gets it first (prob N1) the rom devs will have their hands on it and out to rooted devices before vzw can clear it

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If all you are talking about is the release from google, then say that please..... because really that means nothing and it's much a a worry. We all know it's coming from google... but that's not where it matters.... verizon is where is matters..... and again... not gonna happen for a while after g releases it.

It sorta does matter though. Google releases 2.2 and then the manufactures can work on it. If it goes like last time a couple of pre-releases slip out into the wild and some devs get a hold of it. They release roms for it and some of us try it out. After that the official OTA gets announced a few times until it actually happens.

Who thinks an unofficial 2.x release is actually done on purpose so a bunch of free testing that doesn't require any support can occur?

dhinged

Reaction score
What 2.2 needs...

To make me keep my phone, Android 2.2 needs to implement this:

1. Media manager: for music, playlists, album art, pictures, video, podcasts (audio and video) that can sync easily from the PC. Basically iTunes for Android. Is it really that hard?

2. Hands-free media controls: something like what the iPhone does with their microphone stereo headphones... play/pause/next/previous/forward/back and volume controls. Very slick. Non-existent for Android.

3. Hands-free voice dialing: the iPhone doesn't have this, but Android should. The ability to press a button on my headset or earphones and make a phone call through the Voice app. *Click*, "call John Doe" or "call 800-555-1234" or "call Pizza Hut" and it would dial the closest one available. This would totally stomp the iPhone.

4. FM Tuner app!!: I know this wouldn't work for some phones, but so what? Disable it. HTC did one with the Incredible almost as well as Apple did with the Nano and there's no reason Google can't do it better. Wi-Fi tethering is not that useful. I would have much preferred an FM tuner (or transceiver) app.

Google has the opportunity to surpass the iPhone in the next two years but I only see them covering things that the Jailbreaker type asks for, not the average user. Sure they do alot of geeky things that the iPhone doesn't right out of the box, but how often does everybody really use all that stuff? I just want an all-in-one device so I don't have to carry around two devices or look at my phone much while I drive.

ovrclock

Reaction score
To make me keep my phone, Android 2.2 needs to implement this:

1. Media manager: for music, playlists, album art, pictures, video, podcasts (audio and video) that can sync easily from the PC. Basically iTunes for Android. Is it really that hard?

2. Hands-free media controls: something like what the iPhone does with their microphone stereo headphones... play/pause/next/previous/forward/back and volume controls. Very slick. Non-existent for Android.

3. Hands-free voice dialing: the iPhone doesn't have this, but Android should. The ability to press a button on my headset or earphones and make a phone call through the Voice app. *Click*, "call John Doe" or "call 800-555-1234" or "call Pizza Hut" and it would dial the closest one available. This would totally stomp the iPhone.

4. FM Tuner app!!: I know this wouldn't work for some phones, but so what? Disable it. HTC did one with the Incredible almost as well as Apple did with the Nano and there's no reason Google can't do it better. Wi-Fi tethering is not that useful. I would have much preferred an FM tuner (or transceiver) app.

Google has the opportunity to surpass the iPhone in the next two years but I only see them covering things that the Jailbreaker type asks for, not the average user. Sure they do alot of geeky things that the iPhone doesn't right out of the box, but how often does everybody really use all that stuff? I just want an all-in-one device so I don't have to carry around two devices or look at my phone much while I drive.

+1000000 about the media manager. It seems Android has the leg up big-time on the iPhone OS, except in this category. And if Google can get this right, especially with some decent cloud integration (hello Chrome OS) man would they be unstoppable!

Status
Not open for further replies.