Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO, what Verizon will do (and probably should do) with the Wifi Tethering functionality is to make it an official feature, tied to the $30/mo tethering plan that they have for other phones. And then all the people tethering using PDANet/etc., should be hit with usage charges (going forward, that is).

Yes, that will probably result in tethering being limited to 5GB a month, but it should also keep the 3G network strong, and you'd be able to tether legitimately, without violating your contract.
I'm not going to pay more to use my data plan. If Verizon doesn't want people to use wifi tethering don't give us Android 2.2.

Well, what MIGHT happen is in the version of 2.2 Verizon issues they leave out wireless tethering. But don't kill the whole update. Believe it or not some of us could care less about wireless tethering.

Darkseider

Reaction score
IMO, what Verizon will do (and probably should do) with the Wifi Tethering functionality is to make it an official feature, tied to the $30/mo tethering plan that they have for other phones. And then all the people tethering using PDANet/etc., should be hit with usage charges (going forward, that is).

Yes, that will probably result in tethering being limited to 5GB a month, but it should also keep the 3G network strong, and you'd be able to tether legitimately, without violating your contract.
I'm not going to pay more to use my data plan. If Verizon doesn't want people to use wifi tethering don't give us Android 2.2.

Well, what MIGHT happen is in the version of 2.2 Verizon issues they leave out wireless tethering. But don't kill the whole update. Believe it or not some of us could care less about wireless tethering.

Really doesn't matter to be honest. Those that are stock will get Froyo sooner rather than later due to the fact that the Droid runs vanilla Android. Those that have rooted Droids will get it sooner just like they did with ERE27 and ESE53 builds of Eclair prior to the official OTA. In any case other than the Nexus getting it first the Droid won't be far behind. The others out there though, those with Sense UI, MotoBlur and whatever other factory skinning will be more or less at the mercy of the manufacturer and carrier. Anyway, looking forward to the start of Google I/O to get more details!

Darkseider

Reaction score
I figured developers would have it but from what boostdscoob posted he made it appear as a general release.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out the SDK? Is it stable, I just got my phone like I want it with DarkEdge and I don't want to try it after all the trouble with DE without knowing if it works good.

cashman

Reaction score
The awesome feature that it might have is the applications will be stored into the SD Card, and more likely, it will make the Droid works much faster then it does now.... If its reported to be 450% faster on Nexus One, it might be fast on Motorola Droid by 200%. That really would be awesome.

Droid101

Reaction score
Now I might have missed it somewhere but does anyone know if we will get to see the 7 homescreens on our Droid? Only reason I ask is I have been using helixlauncher and likeing the added homscreens ( I don't use all 7 but find the ability to add that very usefull) just need a more stable way of getting the added homescreens.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think that all phones will go 450% faster not just the Nexus One.

As far as more Home Screens I highly doubt it. This is a very general update to all Android phones - not specifically to the Droid.

The awesome feature that it might have is the applications will be stored into the SD Card, and more likely, it will make the Droid works much faster then it does now.... If its reported to be 450% faster on Nexus One, it might be fast on Motorola Droid by 200%. That really would be awesome.

cashman

Reaction score
I would think that all phones will go 450% faster not just the Nexus One.

As far as more Home Screens I highly doubt it. This is a very general update to all Android phones - not specifically to the Droid.

I just thought that since Nexus One runs on 1GHz Snapdraggon, it would be faster by 450%, but since Droid is 550mhz, it might be slower then that, but I'm not sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.