Android 2.2 - as fast as you wished!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
From my quoted quote of a quote above (LOL)

While this won't help native apps directly, it means that many of your apps will get at least a 2 to 3-fold speed increase. And native apps should indirectly benefit, as faster non-native apps means more CPU freed for native ones.

The quote implies that all non native apps can be utilized by JIT to perform 2 to 3 fold faster. It gives no indication that these apps have to be modified at all.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

While this won't help native apps directly, it means that many of your apps will get at least a 2 to 3-fold speed increase. And native apps should indirectly benefit, as faster non-native apps means more CPU freed for native ones.

The quote implies that all non native apps can be utilized by JIT to perform 2 to 3 fold faster. It gives no indication that these apps have to be modified at all.

I guess we will see. Even JIT enabled roms out there are not getting benefits aside from placebo effects and benchmarks.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Native apps means apps not written in java. Of course JIT can't help there. Any app written in java will be faster with a jit-enabled jvm. Been coding java since 1998...

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Native apps means apps not written in java. Of course JIT can't help there. Any app written in java will be faster with a jit-enabled jvm. Been coding java since 1998...

Any GUI app running is not native then?

Because all GUI apps are java.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Android goes beyond Java, gains native C/C++ dev kit

Per that article, android apps can have java and native components. So, the speed increase from jit will only be seen in apps that use java.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Android goes beyond Java, gains native C/C++ dev kit

Per that article, android apps can have java and native components. So, the speed increase from jit will only be seen in apps that use java.

Show me one gui app right now that has both.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I guess we will see. Even JIT enabled roms out there are not getting benefits aside from placebo effects and benchmarks.

THIS. I have tried JIT enabled ROMs a few times and noticed absolutely no performance increase at all no matter what I was doing besides benchmarks. Until I see a repeatable performance gain in real world applications and daily use I will take all this with a grain of salt.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Haha, you guys are funny. Just be happy. JIT is good.

I am not saying that I am not happy. What I am saying is that until I see some real world improvements in performance and not some static benchmark I am not impressed.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hear you. What I'm trying to say is that in my experience the same exact java programs perform noticeably faster. JIT made a huge difference when desktop VMs got it so I expect that android will see a benefit too.

And as mentioned, with JIT making apps faster, CPU cycles will be freed so everything will be a bit quicker. I'm really excited about 2.2. It's a great step forward and I'm really just happy about it. I love you guys.

brando56894

Reaction score
I saw this on droid-life earlier and it blew my mind, granted that these benchmarks are most likely inflated JIT will definitely help performance. People that have had their hands on Froyo say its amazing compared to all previous builds. I cant wait until this gets released and then gets modded :D

I've gotten as high as 15.xx MFLOPS on my moto droid with JIT enabled and using a 1.3 GHz kernel, it was ridiculously unstable though.

cb2000a

Reaction score
Yeah but I will be excited when our phones are in a teraflop range like my gpu on my desktop. It will happen. :icon_ banana: