Android 2.2 - as fast as you wished!

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
android22-fast.jpg

AndroidPolice now got a Nexus One with Froyo (Android 2.2) for testing and one thing they did, was Benchmarking the System, to show how fast it is. Expectations are pretty high, as FroYo is expected to come with JIT (Just in Time Compilation).

Now, they used the app Linpack, which measures all Benchmarks in FLOPS (floating point operations per secound).

the nexus one has been tested with 6.5 MegaFLOPS, which is very fast, compared to a Hero with 2 MFLOPS. but now, how is FroYo doin on the Nexus?

PWNAGE! It shot 37.5 MFLOPS!! this is 5 times faster as 2.1 is....just one more reason to sincerely wait for android 2.2!!

Tigger
via

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm dying to know how this will translate to the Droid. Hopefully we get similar results with the JIT working good.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Just ran the linpack on BB v1.0 running @ 800Mhz and I score a consistent 6.4xx MFlops. So it seems that the Droid at 800Mhz is roughly the equivalent to the Nexus at 1Ghz when it comes to floating point ops. Now the question is whether or not JIT translates to real world performance or just some increase on a synthetic benchmark.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I get 9.915mflops in linpack with BB1.0 at 1.2ghz lv. The JIT is doing something, that's for sure be it synthetic or not.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I get 9.915mflops in linpack with BB1.0 at 1.2ghz lv. The JIT is doing something, that's for sure be it synthetic or not.

Umm... from what I see here LinPack scales nearly linearly with clockspeed.

800 Mhz Droid = 6.4
1.2 Ghz Droid = 9.9

6.4 / 8 = .8
.8 * 12 = 9.6

So now the question is what JIT does to increase those numbers and is it an artificial result solely based on the benchmark? In order to see a real impact one would need to run some type of process intensive task, say converting a file to an .mp3, from the Droid console on a rooted device. Otherwise I would take this with a grain of salt.

Zarniwoop

Reaction score
Benchmarks, shmenchmarks.

I don't give two craps about benchmarks...

I want the snappy response the Incredible seems to have out of the box, and the battery life of a Saharan Camel. :)

gatewayad

Reaction score
I wonder how fast it is on 3g vs. the wifi they are running, haven'tweI seen high 25's on the droid on wifi

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The Droid News section has no edit, for whatever reason.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Sorry what I'm saying is isn't there a big speed difference doing a benchmark test on WiFi vs doing it on 3G