[ROM] TWO roms?? This guy's crazy!

avt123

Reaction score
Gmail app keeps force closing every time I try to open it. It force closes instantly at startup as well.

I changed the gmail.apk file that came with your ROM to gmail.bak and installed Gmail from the market and it is working again.

Also, is it safe to delete one of the calendar apps? If so which one? :)

Last edited:

bcals0087

Reaction score
Install w/ constant reboot issue!!

So I had recently reported about an issue I had after installing rubix .5 and trying to install market apps, apps from the internet, or anything and I would have a reboot. It would freeze up as it was about to install and boom reboot. Not market related at all from what I see. I remembered I had installed the vanilla theme right after I installed the rom; mounted system and everything. It seems that is when the problem came about. After the theme. vanilla does not have any blur apps themed, just the basics. It made me wonder if the services.jar file or the framework would have anything to do with these constant reboots. Then I sbf'd and the same problem occurred. It seems that it has to do with the data because after I did a complete data wipe from factory recovery, the problem went away. So my question is, why the hell could this be happening?

Update: It was definitely the theme that was added on. I'm curious as to why no one else who added a theme didn't run into this problem considering Vanilla is one of the most basic ones out there. hmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
OP
D

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Gmail app keeps force closing every time I try to open it. It force closes instantly at startup as well.

I changed the gmail.apk file that came with your ROM to gmail.bak and installed Gmail from the market and it is working again.

Should only be one calendar app?

bcals0087

Reaction score
Backup assistant fix!!!

Ok so I know some of you are going to like this one. I personally like backup assistant and think it is very useful. So I made it my personal mission to figure this one out. Well what I did was I compared both /system/app files from blurry and focused to see what was missing. I found one key component. That would be android-syncservice-app.apk. I moved this file, and backupassistanceclient with root explorer to the /system/app folder, set permissions and reboot. And that's it! I clicked on backup assistant after that and it started right up and loaded everything thing. I have uploaded the apk's for everyone who would like to do the same. Once again I'll spell out the steps.

1. Transfer both .apks to sd card. easiest way is through usb mass storage.

2. open up root explorer navigate to sd card

3. Long press backupassistanceclient.apk and copy and navigate to /system/app

4. Paste. Then long press, set permissions to 644. (First column all checked, first check in second column)

5. Repeat for android-syncservice-app.apk.

6. Do not hit install! Just reboot your phone after that and your good to go.

:) Props to Drod for making a beastly rom.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Thanks for chiming in :) There are apps I changed for the AOSP counterparts in blur as well. I have a themers template made up if you'd like it 928.. also, the music app might still work, since its still the "stock" AOSP one, motorola didn't do anything blur-like to it that I can see

Yes a Themers Template is always a great thing and very much appreciated!! Between you and I, the Devs that take the time to let us Themers know what has been changed from stock (or from one Release to the next) so we don't have to go thru everything...are always at the top of my "Themes to do next" list :)

The Music app is a simple test, open Car Dock and see if you can use the Music player part of it.

On a personal note as "just" a Droid X owner, I appreciate the fact you are making a ROM that doesn't strip the Blur away. Some Devs haven't even given Blur a chance and just willy nilly strip it all off without even using it for a while (or at all). Some of it I don't like, BUT a lot of it is far superior to the normal Android stuff, once you use it and understand it. I like that you are giving us DX'rs choices and not trying to dictate our options to us!

Great job, anxious to see more from you !!!!

droid_freak

Reaction score
Another question...can you use any theme on either of these ROMs or does focused have to be a blurless theme?? Would the 928blackglass work on either of these?
Thanks

Remember it's not like with have a Droid 1 with only 256mg of internal storage... we got the Big Dog X with 8 gigs of internal storage (although all of that is unfortunately not available to the system area)
dancedroid

My Theme will also add back the stock Music app (Themed), but some may like that since it is tied into the Car Dock app and unless there is a secret I am not aware of yet, you loose Music functions in the Car Dock with other Music apps besides the original anyway.

All of the apks in my Theme are optimized also (and I mean that too :), well, with the exception of a few certain ones that I know cause issues when optimized, but most users don't notice those...at least for a while.

Now for clarity sake, only Drod2169 knows what all has been changed in his ROM, so I am not and do not mean to speak for him. Just giving the best guess I can from the changelog info and based on a "little" knowledge I have about the "928 Black Glass Theme" :) I am sure he can probably make a better guess since my current Themes are stock based only and the stock system is of a publicly known "configuration/format". So I defer to Drod2169 for the final word on this, plus it's his ROM, and his Thread too!

In a nutshell, I know I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try on Drod2169's Blur version, but certainly would NOT on the Blurless version.

I am running the rubix 0.5 version w/ 928 and have had no problems. Fabulous brought up a good point that you have to look at the .apk list in the theme to see what is being replaced or added and remove those prior to install. Again it works fine for me, no issues.

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Remember it's not like with have a Droid 1 with only 256mg of internal storage... we got the Big Dog X with 8 gigs of internal storage (although all of that is unfortunately not available to the system area)
dancedroid

My Theme will also add back the stock Music app (Themed), but some may like that since it is tied into the Car Dock app and unless there is a secret I am not aware of yet, you loose Music functions in the Car Dock with other Music apps besides the original anyway.

All of the apks in my Theme are optimized also (and I mean that too :), well, with the exception of a few certain ones that I know cause issues when optimized, but most users don't notice those...at least for a while.

Now for clarity sake, only Drod2169 knows what all has been changed in his ROM, so I am not and do not mean to speak for him. Just giving the best guess I can from the changelog info and based on a "little" knowledge I have about the "928 Black Glass Theme" :) I am sure he can probably make a better guess since my current Themes are stock based only and the stock system is of a publicly known "configuration/format". So I defer to Drod2169 for the final word on this, plus it's his ROM, and his Thread too!

In a nutshell, I know I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try on Drod2169's Blur version, but certainly would NOT on the Blurless version.

I am running the rubix 0.5 version w/ 928 and have had no problems. Fabulous brought up a good point that you have to look at the .apk list in the theme to see what is being replaced or added and remove those prior to install. Again it works fine for me, no issues.

Running 0.5 blurless w/928 and have no issues either. I probably wouldnt have done it if i would have read 928s post first lol....but....

avt123

Reaction score

Nope. I formated /system /data and /cache as well. I have 2 calendar apps in my app drawer.

In /system there is a calendar.apk and a calendargoogle.apk.

I do have REVolution theme. But I can't find anything about it adding an extra calendar.

Last edited:

Droid74

Reaction score
Well one quick question before i take the plunge...how does blurry and FlyX compare?
Thanks

OP
D

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Nope. I formated /system /data and /cache as well. I have 2 calendar apps in my app drawer.

In /system there is a calendar.apk and a calendargoogle.apk.

I do have REVolution theme. But I can't find anything about it adding an extra calendar.

If REVolution theme added calendargoogle, that's the culprit. My rom adds Calendar.

OP
D

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well one quick question before i take the plunge...how does blurry and FlyX compare?
Thanks

Night and day, apples and oranges. I've never ran flyx, but i've heard nothing but good things about my blurry rom

Droid74

Reaction score
lol...does that mean u have heard nothing but bad things about FlyX??

Droid74

Reaction score
sorry...one more question before i install Blurry (first ROM installation Im doing). I want to make sure i do the "mount" step correctly. UNder the"mounts and storage" tab...you click on the first option that says "mount /system"...sorry first timer here.
Thanks

Fadeshy

Reaction score
sorry...one more question before i install Blurry (first ROM installation Im doing). I want to make sure i do the "mount" step correctly. UNder the"mounts and storage" tab...you click on the first option that says "mount /system"...sorry first timer here.
Thanks

Yup exactly.

A question of my own.

Does anyone know what Blur stuff I need to add back to have the Blurless version snyc my contacts with facebook? I added back BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk but didn't seems to help, am I missing something else?