ALERT! 2.2 FroYo Circus continues...FRG01B is Official get it here.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

This forum has gone to the rooters.

Take a look back on page 2 and my question about rooting did not get answered :)

This is the same 01B that was leaked the other day. If anything was changed then the version number would have changed. Even if 1 line of code in one script was changed then the version number would change. Just the way that software works. So with that I would say that you will not get prompted to install update if you have the leaked 01B already installed.

That a good enough answer for everyone :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

SSHGuru - this is what I've been told in IRC.... The build is identical to the OTA last week, this file is different, though. This file is basically a full Froyo ROM, in that it wipes your system and replaces it with the install. The OTA last week patched files and didn't wipe/replace everything. So, I'd say that if you're not having any problems, don't even worry about it. But if you are having some glitches, running this new file might be worth a shot, since it's theoretically a cleaner install.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Take a look back on page 2 and my question about rooting did not get answered :)

This is the same 01B that was leaked the other day. If anything was changed then the version number would have changed. Even if 1 line of code in one script was changed then the version number would change. Just the way that software works. So with that I would say that you will not get prompted to install update if you have the leaked 01B already installed.

And this file is NOT rooted.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you say wipe/replace does that mean I will end up with a phone with nothing on it?

SSHGuru - this is what I've been told in IRC.... The build is identical to the OTA last week, this file is different, though. This file is basically a full Froyo ROM, in that it wipes your system and replaces it with the install. The OTA last week patched files and didn't wipe/replace everything. So, I'd say that if you're not having any problems, don't even worry about it. But if you are having some glitches, running this new file might be worth a shot, since it's theoretically a cleaner install.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

And this file is NOT rooted.

Would be nice to get a rooted and deodexed version. I just tried to deodexed this version but it hung on install. I will wait for the pros to do it :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you say wipe/replace does that mean I will end up with a phone with nothing on it?

I don't know for sure - I *think* it only wipes/replace the /system partition, but if it touches the /data or /cache, you could end up with a phone with nothing on it. But since this is supposedly the "official" file, I'd like to think it doesn't do that. But I can't tell you for sure at this point unfortunately, I haven't tried it myself and I haven't gotten an answer on that yet.

GOON

Reaction score
so i manually did the 2.2 update, but i feel its a little glitchy, so i want to install thjis for a clean install.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THIS???????? please help, answer is worth 3 points!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
so i manually did the 2.2 update, but i feel its a little glitchy, so i want to install thjis for a clean install.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THIS???????? please help, answer is worth 3 points!

Based on the OP, it sounds like you have to be stock 2.1 or prior for it to work b/c it has some scripts built in that look for that. Again, I haven't done this myself, just going off what I've read.

GOON

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking. ive searched on how to get back to stock 2.1 but there are so many diff tut, can someone point me in the right direction????

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Part of it is the inundation of people asking the same question that anyone who actually read the original post would know the answer to. It's pretty clear:

For example -- "I forced my update last week -- will I get the new OTA?"

Answer: As a side note this new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running.

It's even in bold, folks.

"Do I need to be rooted to install this?"

Answer:I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately...booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

This shouldn't need explaining to anyone who rooted, but even those who didn't should pay attention to the following phrases -- "original 2.0 that came on the DROID" and "virgin 2.2". Since the Droid never came rooted from the factory the fact that he has a virgin install means it's not rooted now and it'll update from any previous version of Droid-flavored Android.

The rest of the post says it'll work with Clockwork Recovery, SPRecovery, and stock recovery, further proof you don't need to be rooted to get it. My Droid didn't come with SPRecovery on it, and I doubt yours came from Motorola with Clockwork Recovery on it either. It also says it's the exact same build as the OTA that went out, just a different file. This one replaces the entire OS instead of just patching files, so other than being a less-bootloop-prone method, it's the exact same thing as far as the end-user is concerned. Furthermore, since it's the same build, if you already updated you don't need to flash this one in, unless you're having some problems and think it might be due to the update. Then you should consider giving this a try and see if it fixes your issues.

So, now that the circus seems to be chasing the knife-thrower off and bringing the elephants in, it's time to choose. Either force this one or wait for the OTA to push it to your phone.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Unless this 01b build has the 22 build tweaks, and is as fast , I'll stay with the 22 build.
22 build is faster , smoother , and has better battery life , why would I change ?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

There really is no definitive answer SSHGuru until somebody that has used both versions ventures in here to give you an answer.

Theoretically it should be a cleaner install because it is a complete ROM rather than just an update to certain files.

In my opinion I will say that this version is "better" because of the "cleaner" install.