ALERT! 2.2 FroYo Circus continues...FRG01B is Official get it here.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless this 01b build has the 22 build tweaks, and is as fast , I'll stay with the 22 build.
22 build is faster , smoother , and has better battery life , why would I change ?

Well for one, build 22, whatever it is, is only for root users. ;) A lot of stock users are curious about this b/c they forced last weeks' OTA, and now are (understandably) unsure what to do.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've actually been waiting for your answer :)

So if I have 2.2 from last week the only way to install the new one would be to root, go back to 2.1, unroot, then go back to installing the new 2.2?

I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

This forum has gone to the rooters.

There really is no definitive answer SSHGuru until somebody that has used both versions ventures in here to give you an answer.

Theoretically it should be a cleaner install because it is a complete ROM rather than just an update to certain files.

In my opinion I will say that this version is "better" because of the "cleaner" install.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yes go back to 2.0 or 2.1 (it does not matter) then boot into recovery and install this.

You don't have to unroot to install. Do keep in mind that this version WILL break root.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've actually been waiting for your answer :)

So if I have 2.2 from last week the only way to install the new one would be to root, go back to 2.1, unroot, then go back to installing the new 2.2?

I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

There really is no definitive answer SSHGuru until somebody that has used both versions ventures in here to give you an answer.

Theoretically it should be a cleaner install because it is a complete ROM rather than just an update to certain files.

In my opinion I will say that this version is "better" because of the "cleaner" install.

Oh I see how it is! :tongue: (Igot my info from CK in IRC actually, so I was in the same boat as you :))

You technically don't have to root, but you do have to use rsdlite to flash back. At least I can't think of another way at this point...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

+1. There's a reason why people flash three times while installing ROMs over top of each other.

Unless this 01b build has the 22 build tweaks, and is as fast , I'll stay with the 22 build.
22 build is faster , smoother , and has better battery life , why would I change ?

Well for one, build 22, whatever it is, is only for root users. ;) A lot of stock users are curious about this b/c they forced last weeks' OTA, and now are (understandably) unsure what to do.

Also +1.

To make it as simple as possible to clear up any confusion -- if you already updated you're current. Heck, you're ahead of the curve (for the next week). Unless you have an issue that you think is directly related to the update you don't need to do anything. If there is an issue you'll need to roll your phone back to install this or receive this OTA.

SBF to root and to unroot - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

That will set you right up. Just be careful.

If you've not already updated, either use this to update or wait for the OTA. It's the same either way.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is so annoying I'm tempted to root and install Bugless Beast or something.

Except I know I'd screw it up.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

are you having any issues with last week's FRG01B?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I installed it I had some issues but a battery pull and a reboot fixed it. I've had no issues since then.

Unless you count a hotter battery and less battery time.

Kind of disappointed it still leaves me with only with 48MB on my SD card even after putting all the apps on my SD card that I can.

are you having any issues with last week's FRG01B?

Husher315

Reaction score

Part of it is the inundation of people asking the same question that anyone who actually read the original post would know the answer to. It's pretty clear:

For example -- "I forced my update last week -- will I get the new OTA?"

Answer: As a side note this new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running.

It's even in bold, folks.

"Do I need to be rooted to install this?"

Answer:I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately...booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

This shouldn't need explaining to anyone who rooted, but even those who didn't should pay attention to the following phrases -- "original 2.0 that came on the DROID" and "virgin 2.2". Since the Droid never came rooted from the factory the fact that he has a virgin install means it's not rooted now and it'll update from any previous version of Droid-flavored Android.

The rest of the post says it'll work with Clockwork Recovery, SPRecovery, and stock recovery, further proof you don't need to be rooted to get it. My Droid didn't come with SPRecovery on it, and I doubt yours came from Motorola with Clockwork Recovery on it either. It also says it's the exact same build as the OTA that went out, just a different file. This one replaces the entire OS instead of just patching files, so other than being a less-bootloop-prone method, it's the exact same thing as far as the end-user is concerned. Furthermore, since it's the same build, if you already updated you don't need to flash this one in, unless you're having some problems and think it might be due to the update. Then you should consider giving this a try and see if it fixes your issues.

So, now that the circus seems to be chasing the knife-thrower off and bringing the elephants in, it's time to choose. Either force this one or wait for the OTA to push it to your phone.

I think what people are actually trying to ask is if you did the manuel update last week, is there ANY difference between the one that will be restarting (tomorrow?) even though the build number is the same: FRG01B.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they answered that they don't know - it could be a cleaner build but if you're not having problems don't worry.

Effectively it will be the same.

At least that's what I gather.

alphawave7

Reaction score
The Official Rollout thread in Droid General has been re-stickied...please refer to the OP for answers, and feel free to pm anything you think should be included in the Answers to FAQ's in the OP. :) dancedroid

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok.. saw this post and noticed it was way too time consuming for people who just want a rooted stock phone. Here is an update.zip that will give you root and symlinked busybox.

All I did was change some things in the updater-script that took just a couple minutes (you can install if already on any previous leak, symlinks busybox), add su binary and superuser.apk, busybox, and removed recovery image.

That's it.. hope this makes someone's life a little easier. Just install in sprecovery or clockwork.

Download it here

Also, cvpcs wrote a great little post on all this here

rotorpilot

Reaction score
Here's an install solution for those, like me, who manually had already installed last week's FRG01B update/zip:

Simply install EASY ROOT, available for 0.99 from Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

Then run EASY ROOT to ROOT your system and do nothing else. Note, I was previously not rooted, and I had installed NONE of the rooted ROMs. This all takes a couple of minutes.

Now the NEW update.zip from this thread will install right over it, with NO Problem!

Results? So far this "new" FRG01B seems smoother.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I understand SSHGuru's frustration. It's a question I wanted answered too for I am unrooted and did the manual install with last weeks update.
So if I install Easy Root, root it, install this NEW FRG01b via update.zip method; the new OTA FRG22 will overwrite since it breaks root?

and I type this from my Droid.