ALERT! 2.2 FroYo Circus continues...FRG01B is Official get it here.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
dr5qv4.jpg

What a ride it's been. the Official 2.2 was released (FRG01B), then it was pulled.

Rumors of a patch started floating around which said that FRG22 would now be the official release via a patch once the roll-out started again.

It has been quite a Circus to say the least. Well now new news has surfaced and we now bring you the Official version of Froyo via a full ROM. This is directly from VZW and it has been confirmed that FRG01B is in fact the Official build once again.

As a side note this new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running.

Thanks to JohnGalt (Android Forums) you can now download the FULL version.

This is copied from Android Forums with a full explanation. Link is below. INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

OK, I have verified this with Peter Alfonso. This is an all inclusive update to FroYo build FRG01B from all versions of Android that came on the DROID - 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1.

Basically, if your phone has anything pre-FRG01B, the new OTA that was pushed out (at least to me and one other person) will replace *all* pre-2.2 builds with 2.2.

It's pretty simple, too - it simply wipes your \System partition, then copies over the new \system from the ZIP file. It is pretty fast too.

I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately, without activating, booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

Before I go any further, many many thanks to Peter Alfonso for all of his work, research, and advice when I was testing this to make sure my theory was correct. Without him I'd still be scratching my head saying to myself "Ok, now that I see the big old exclamation point, WTF am I supposed to do?" - among other things.

We had a nice long discussion about what this file does, and how it works, and he agrees (or, perhaps I should say I agree with *him*) that this file will upgrade 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1 to 2.2 FRG01B. It contains 2 different scripts in it, that Pete supposes allow it to be used with the stock recovery, SPRrecovery and Clockwork Mod.

This is the set of files you can use.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/54jg831t63o1shy/9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

Source: Android Forums/JohnGalt/Peter Alfonso

Some summary FAQ Answers, assembled by Ninjak:

"Ok, since some people seem to still be confused I hope this simplifies things and ties together numerous old comments.

1) Both this and last week's FRG01B Froyo releases are for the original Droid only, not for the X or any other Android device.

2) Both releases bring you up to the same exact build, no difference in features. They're both the same thing. The only change is that last week's release is for incrementally patching/upgrading an older build (hence the smaller file size) while the new release will completely wipe and replace an older build. In the end, you get the same thing, but the wiping results in a "clean" build. One is not technically better than the other. It's akin to upgrading an existing copy of Windows versus installing a full non-upgrade version from scratch, as someone has already used as a good analogy.

3) If you are unrooted, don't want to root, and already installed last week's patch job, there is no way to install the new release without rolling back to a prior one first. Because the new release will just examine the Droid otherwise and essentially say "I'm already on here, I don't need to be installed."

3a) If you decide to root last week's release (via Easy Root or classic methods), then you can install the new release over the old one even though it's the same build. Being rooted makes a difference here. In the end, you'll have the new install and your phone will return to an unrooted state (at least with Easy Root).

4) If you have either release on your Droid, you will not get alerted by Verizon to do an OTA install. You'll already have it, unless an even newer one is eventually released (which noone knows at this point will occur).

5) A "clean" install of the new build is not guaranteed to fix any problems people had with the upgrade version, but people have been generally happier with it.

6) If you want to install FRG22 afterwards, you can only do so if you are rooted. Reaction to FRG22 seems to be mixed, so I'd only suggest it if still having issues with FRG01B.

7) Don't get so caught up in all this that you actually forget the most important thing - to enjoy your Droid! "

Last edited by a moderator:

Groundhog45

Reaction score
Does this mean that the update.zip file that many of us got last Tuesday is the same file as this?

Nibbz

Reaction score
i dont get it so whats this mean for someone who manually updated last week?

outfieldjack

Reaction score
Will this mean I will get an OTA at some point this week?

Yes, if you look at the beginning of the thread on the other site, they got an OTA request today.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am straight standard 2.1... wanted to make sure I did not need to do anything...

richhowe

Reaction score
It contains 2 different scripts in it, that Pete supposes allow it to be used with the stock recovery, SPRrecovery and Clockwork Mod.

Since this mentions SPRecovery and ClockWork Mod, does it mean that it will try to replace ANY custom ROMs alreay installed? If so, do these scripts cause SPRecovery and ClockWork Mod to allow the update and prevent them from blocking the update? Or, will this only try to replace officially released MOTO/GOOG/VZW ROMs?

Wadman

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. I have never rooted nor have i ever done anything other than receive the over the air update that verizon pushes out. Does this mean i just need to sit back and wait for the over the air update to show up on my phone or do i need to do something. Sorry if that is a stupid question but i am new to this stuff.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. I have never rooted nor have i ever done anything other than receive the over the air update that verizon pushes out. Does this mean i just need to sit back and wait for the over the air update to show up on my phone or do i need to do something. Sorry if that is a stupid question but i am new to this stuff.

At this point you have 3 options...

1) Wait, but there's a chance it won't come (at least for a while)
2) Root and use the file above
3) Don't root and use the file available at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/66044-official-froyo-rollout-thread.html

Sal

Reaction score
Uh...so what's the new ota plan? Starts now? tomorrow?

vash429

Reaction score
is this better than FGR 22 or should I leave that in. I also have bugles-beast on top. I just rooted a few days ago and dont know how all this really works.
Thanks in advance

eclipse507

Reaction score
So I am still confused....sorry..........................I updated last week with the manual update. I am NOT rooted.................Is this update any different then that one?

If so, can I download it, like the other updates, and do a manual update??

Thanks again! This place rocks!

Gkope

Reaction score
Can the OP be edited to say get the Rooted version of the Update here? At least I think that is what the OP is saying. This is very confusing. And nothing addresses why there is another version in the wild.

brooklyn2710

Reaction score
So I am still confused....sorry..........................I updated last week with the manual update. I am NOT rooted.................Is this update any different then that one?

If so, can I download it, like the other updates, and do a manual update??

Thanks again! This place rocks!

I am wondering the same thing. Can someone answer this man questions?