[ROM] [6/18/12] CM9 ICS For the Droid Pro

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
My keyboard actually works better on this than it did with CM7 and the keypad backlight consistently works now!

Actually, once wiping off the soft keys didn't work, I long pressed the magnifying glass, then cancelled the popup. All was well again.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm working on porting over a boot menu from the Motorola defy for our builds that for a short window allow us to boot into clockwork if our system gets hosed for some reason or another. It should prevent a bunch of sbfs in case something goes wrong

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

wykjacky

Reaction score
I'm working on porting over a boot menu from the Motorola defy for our builds that for a short window allow us to boot into clockwork if our system gets hosed for some reason or another. It should prevent a bunch of sbfs in case something goes wrong

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

yeah!! looking forward to ur new build!
by the way, any idea and progress on the gsm data?

i am using cm7 now. and the unstable 3G data switching problem troubles me a lot. So really finger cross for the ICS build can solve the pain in CM7.

I really love the speed of the ICS build. Looking forward to it!!

Please keep up the good work!!

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I've had a couple force closes today with WidgetLocker and Facebook and Android OS is at the top of my battery usage with 36%

Anything in particular that might be going on?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

mjvoto423

Reaction score
I have the Galaxy Nexus (love the phone) just dont like how big it is I use my phone for work and love everything about ICS. I would love to learn/help as much as I can about roms if there is anything that I can do that is minimal but still helpful

please let me know. I own my own business and don't have a lot of time as is but still here to help. I would love to bring back my Droid Pro into my work force, that was my life-savor on the job. Also is there an ETA on when this can be used as

a daily? would love to start using it asap.

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
if you're a CDMA-only user that doesn't use their camera ever, this probably could be a daily driver. it appears that the issue from CM7 where settings sometimes didn't stick where they were once checked off has been resolved. also, it seems like issues related to switching from 3G to wifi and back have been resolved :)

those that are working on the camera have made progress but nothing that is actually translates to the real world, it's just available in logs of the camera
i haven't done anything regarding gsm as i'm honestly just waiting on the D2G team to get it working. there really isn't anything i can do because i don't just gsm :/ sorry gsm folks, i'm sure it won't be much longer

i've completed the boot menu port from the CyanogenDefy team. basically, we won't have the reboot -> reboot recovery option anymore. from now on, when the red M logo is present on boot, for a second or so the led will turn on which will allow you to boot into a special boot menu if you happen to press the volume down button when the led is on. from the boot menu, you can, there are 5 options. they are to reboot the phone, choose you boot mode (should stay as 2nd-init FYI), boot into clockwork recovery, a tools menu where you can turn on adb or mount your sdcard, or power off your phone. if you don't press the volume down when the led is on if you're choosing to not go into the boot menu, it will just boot up normally which is cool in case your part of your system gets hosed, you can simply reflash a rom or make a quick clockwork backup and sbf or do whatever you choose

Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
That boot menu sounds pretty slick.

I always thought we could always boot into recovery, though?

Or, now that I think about it, I guess that's stock recovery which wouldn't let us flash a ROM. Either way, the boot menu definitely sounds great.

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That boot menu sounds pretty slick.

I always thought we could always boot into recovery, though?

Or, now that I think about it, I guess that's stock recovery which wouldn't let us flash a ROM. Either way, the boot menu definitely sounds great.

yeah it's pretty rad

before that, our phone didn't boot up and just stayed at the M logo, it was sbf time. now, (unless your system is really fudged up) you can still get into this bootmenu which can get you into clockwork so you can format your system and reflash a rom. in case you don't have a rom on your /sdcard, you can still mount the sdcard in the boot menu and copy a new .zip over to it, then flash :)

ngtwolf

Reaction score
i've completed the boot menu port from the CyanogenDefy team. basically, we won't have the reboot -> reboot recovery option anymore. from now on, when the red M logo is present on boot, for a second or so the led will turn on which will allow you to boot into a special boot menu if you happen to press the volume down button when the led is on. from the boot menu, you can, there are 5 options. they are to reboot the phone, choose you boot mode (should stay as 2nd-init FYI), boot into clockwork recovery, a tools menu where you can turn on adb or mount your sdcard, or power off your phone. if you don't press the volume down when the led is on if you're choosing to not go into the boot menu, it will just boot up normally which is cool in case your part of your system gets hosed, you can simply reflash a rom or make a quick clockwork backup and sbf or do whatever you choose

Now this sounds great! I hated that if I screwed something up I pretty much had to SBF back. Of course, I realize I might screw it up bad enough that I have to anyway, but I'd like to at least have a small chance at not needing to... as well as the few times I forgot to do reboot recovery :) Thats really the big thing that annoys me most about the locked bootloader.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
yeah it's pretty rad
before that, our phone didn't boot up and just stayed at the M logo, it was sbf time. now, (unless your system is really fudged up) you can still get into this bootmenu which can get you into clockwork so you can format your system and reflash a rom. in case you don't have a rom on your /sdcard, you can still mount the sdcard in the boot menu and copy a new .zip over to it, then flash :)

Kind of off topic, but the one thing I have problems with is recovering a 2.3.3 backup. For some reason when I would try to recover from clockworkmod it would always tell me it couldn't format /system, which means I pretty much had to sbf back. This was specifically after I had tried ICS and wanted to restore back to stock (for work/gsm), it wouldn't ever restore any of my gingerbread backups. I even tried to format the system manually.

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but the one thing I have problems with is recovering a 2.3.3 backup. For some reason when I would try to recover from clockworkmod it would always tell me it couldn't format /system, which means I pretty much had to sbf back. This was specifically after I had tried ICS and wanted to restore back to stock (for work/gsm), it wouldn't ever restore any of my gingerbread backups. I even tried to format the system manually.

Not really sure why that is. I haven't really heard anybody else having that problem :/

In other news, the .zip that contains our new bootmenu (whenever I post it) should go without a hitch. There is one thing that should be noted however. The new bootmenu ROMs will have a newer version of clockwork recovery which may cause incompatibility issues. The reason behind this is that our version of clockworkmod from the D2 Bootstrap makes backups that are in the .img format. So your backup of system will be called system.img. The newer clockworkmod versions make ext3.tar backups (tar is kinda like .zip files). The implementation of ext3.tar files make for much faster backups and restorations. However, many people have had issues restoring .img files from the newer clockworkmod versions.

Luckily for you guys, I've made a tiny, tiny zip that you can flash that will allow you to boot into the older clockwork recovery to restore your backups from pre-(whenever this new zip will be posted dates)

All you will have to do is enter the bootmenu, choose recovery, then clockwork. From there, you can install this tiny zip that will make it so that, after you install the zip, when you reboot, it will boot into the older clockwork recovery so you can restore a previous backup that is in the format of system.img if these ICS alphas aren't your thing :)

Last edited:

Skyrocketing

Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work on Droid Pro ROMs, there would be nothing to look forward to if you hadn't been doing this :biggrin:

ngtwolf

Reaction score
Not really sure why that is. I haven't really heard anybody else having that problem :/

In other news, the .zip that contains our new bootmenu (whenever I post it) should go without a hitch. There is one thing that should be noted however. The new bootmenu ROMs will have a newer version of clockwork recovery which may cause incompatibility issues. The reason behind this is that our version of clockworkmod from the D2 Bootstrap makes backups that are in the .img format. So your backup of system will be called system.img. The newer clockworkmod versions make ext3.tar backups (tar is kinda like .zip files). The implementation of ext3.tar files make for much faster backups and restorations. However, many people have had issues restoring .img files from the newer clockworkmod versions.

To be honest, my issue with restoring was probably related to different clockworkmod backups. I probably backed it up with a newer version and couldn't restore with the bootstrap version (or vica-versa). I doubt very many people were putting random clockworkmod versions on, which is probably why I was the only one with the issue :)

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i updated the OP. make sure to read everything that's bold! a bunch of things regarding recovery has changed!