Gingerbread on Droid Pro with Unlocked Froyo Radio

Discussion in 'Droid Pro Development' started by ngtwolf, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ngtwolf

ngtwolf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. I do have an old blackberry sitting at work that the SIM came from, but I'm not about to resort to that. :) That's why I only do testing (like with the new ICS) on the weekends, since I need my phone working during the week. I'm thinking about getting a new phone anyway, so if I do than i'll be more inclined to do more aggressive testing. :) I really wanted the physical portrait keyboard android phone, but the locked bootloader combined with the lack of devs, the increasing amount of new apps that don't work on it and the poor screen/camera have made me decide to start looking again.

2. dettofatto

dettofatto Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've done, but I had a lot of wifi issues...! My wifi died.... I've done a nandroid backup with new buid and then applied all patch with the modified kernel...

3. JohnS

JohnS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently working on it. I have been able to get the update 4.7.3 running using the (now old) kernel file in this thread.

The unlock still works but quite a few other things do not. Wifi being one of them. It is possible it will work once there is a new
    updated Kernel file. This is what is holding me up. I have spent countless hours looking for the information how to create the
    Kernel update file. The OP got me started in the right direction but wasn't much help after that :biggrin:

This is what I have learned so far:

Commands to create the image files needed are:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p10 of=/sdcard/logo.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p15 of=/sdcard/boot.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p12 of=/sdcard/devtree.img

These commands need to be run via ADB as Superuser, which creates new image files.
    So far I have verified that this works (creates the files) but the next step will have to wait
    until tomorrow.

Using the original kernel.ZIP file, replace the image files with the newly created ones.

The whole process is complicated further by the latest OTA update removing root capability.
    I have successfully rooted the latest OTA by using OTA Rootkeeper prior to running the update.

I am beginning to wonder if these phones are worth all of this trouble. I will post later and report
    my success or failure.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. ngtwolf

ngtwolf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, the next step is pretty easy, just open the zip on windows and drag the 3 files into the zip... works pretty easy on windows with 7-zip. Thanks for documenting what you did. it was the same thing i did when i created the original zip file, and like you, I had to spend hours trying to search the internet to figure out how to do it... since that was back in november i had long forgotten what to do and didn't feel like putting in the effort again. Obviously i should have written it down like you did. :)

I've been wondering the same as you about the effort... more and more I'm beginning to think not. It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least one fully working stable rom to fall back on between the weekend tweaking, but even the stock one is buggy and slow as hell.

Please share a clean clockworkmod backup and your new kernel when you do, that would be a great help.

5. dettofatto

dettofatto Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! I've extracted my froyo kernel from my european droid, then ive applied my froyo kernel and european backup on american droid pro!
    And now i have american droid pro, with european rom!!!!
    And it is very stable!
    After i give you a tutorial and links!
    This step are very good for European pro, because we dont have any sbf! And so with this kernel we can restore european froyo, on european pro, if we had update to ics, or cgm7...

I've extracted my froyo kernel from my european droid, then i've applied my froyo kernel and european backup on american droid pro! And now i have american droid pro, with european rom!!!! And it is very stable! This step are very good for European pro, because we don't have any sbf.

--- Before you must do your backup ----

1) Download and put Froyo Kernel on your sdcard http://db.tt/3xSQtgfI after download nandroid european backup http://db.tt/TaTEX2QG (extract this backup from rar and put the 5 files in your sd in a newnew folder named euoropeanfroyo (without space) and then put this new folder under clockwordmod/backup) .
    2) Reboot in clockword mod
    2a) backup and restore - backup
    3) Install from zip and choose froyo kernel don't reboot
    4) choose backup and restore and restore nandroid european backup don't reboot
    5) wipe all data
    6) now reboot

If you want restore your backup see this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532219 (before you must install ics, and then reboot in clockwordmod and install your backup...)

This kernel don't change your radio!

Thanks to: ngtwolf, jackpotClavin and JohnS

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. nnaveaa

nnaveaa New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I'm waiting for a phone to come with ICS that I like, the Note has my interest but $300 on-contract and no ICS yet is holding me back. I do like the physical keyboard, but I'm starting to accept (sadly) that physical keyboards are going to be limited or not available for Android devices. If I could just stretch a few more months out of the Pro before regulating it to an emergency device, that would be awesome.

7. dettofatto

dettofatto Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  8. JohnS

JohnS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did a compare of the image files in your ZIP to the ones I created and they are binary equals. The only difference I found was just a comment in the script file:

ui_print("Droid Pro 4.7.3 Kernel");

I had updated mine so it displays the correct message on the screen.

I am very close to finishing now, just SBFing back to 2.26.60 and doing OTA update again to restore the radio.

9. JohnS

JohnS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Success! :biggrin:

10. nnaveaa

nnaveaa New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have 4.7.3 running with the band unlock and everything works?

11. dettofatto

dettofatto Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With my 4.7.3 kernel or yours? Because I can't try if locked because I'm in Italy...

12. JohnS

JohnS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything works. Band Unlock still works.

Search tags for this page
droid pro on t mobile

droid pro radio unlock

droid pro unlock .sbf
gingerbread on droid pro with unlocked froyo radio
moto droid froyo to gingerbread
motorola droid pro band unlock
motorola droid pro xt610 custom rom at&t
tbh radio unlock
unlock droid pro radio
verizon droid pro radio unlock