Verizon pulls Android 2.2 "FRG01b" update for DROID 1, future updates uncertain

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as my local verizon rep and the technician I talked to on the phone this afternoon are concerned, verizon HAS NO PLANS TO HALT THE FRG01B OTA!!!

This means no bug in frg01b, according to them rollout indeed started on tuesday and is continuing as planned. The technician laughed when I mentioned FRG22 and told me not to worry, "just go ahead and do the manual update to frg01b, you'll be fine". There is no problem with flash, adobe just hasn't released a final version yet, ITS A BETA!!!

I don't know why all these forums (mydroidworld/droid-life, this one even) are so insistant that we droid users get screwed over, its not that big of deal.

Sorry to say but we know far more in these forums tban the vast majority of VZW reps. Most of the time they are pretty clueless and they are trained to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

glenn

Reaction score
I am unrooted and running 2.2 and it's fine. No problems at all and I have flash installed.

They will have this fixed soon. There are more Droid 1's out there than all the others. Stop whining and worrying. It's their biggest seller and the biggest Droid out there.

Same here, I did the manual update on Wed and later that evening grabbed Flash and all is SWEET! I'm baffled by all the rumors, my Droid1 is faster than ever and battery usage is even better than 2.1. So glad I grabbed it when I did.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Well, great. This sucks. My unrooted battery life now blows after manually installing the OTA and now who knows when/if we unrooted folks will get a patch to resolve it. I put in my fully charged 2800mah Seidio battery in and in just _3 hrs_ I'm getting the red led flashing. I've never gotten the false dying reading anywhere near this quickly before and hate to think how close to dead my standard battery would be by now, esp with the temps shooting up to 98-103 F within a few minutes with facebook not even in use. Hell, I just got this replacement Droid a week ago as it is (headphone jack issue). I'm not even up for my new-every-2 til July. Frustrated as I am, I agree that Verizon would have to do something for users who got the OTA "naturally", so I doubt this will stand. All I know is that Asurion better make it possible for us to get a Droid 2 as a replacement in the near future if no new patches comes. And to think I was fully intending to root after this update whenever the ability to do so cams about. Argh!!

Yeah my battery life is abyssmal as well after doing the manual install. Phone will become useless unless something is done.

neubanks89

Reaction score
As far as my local verizon rep and the technician I talked to on the phone this afternoon are concerned, verizon HAS NO PLANS TO HALT THE FRG01B OTA!!!

This means no bug in frg01b, according to them rollout indeed started on tuesday and is continuing as planned. The technician laughed when I mentioned FRG22 and told me not to worry, "just go ahead and do the manual update to frg01b, you'll be fine". There is no problem with flash, adobe just hasn't released a final version yet, ITS A BETA!!!

I don't know why all these forums (mydroidworld/droid-life, this one even) are so insistant that we droid users get screwed over, its not that big of deal.

Sorry to say but we know far more in these forums tban the vast majority of VZW reps. Most of the time they are pretty clueless and they are trained to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The person I talked to read straight from her computer screen what they are being instructed to tell people calling about the droid update.

Here are the facts:

FRG01B is the official Android 2.2 for the Motorola Droid.

OTA started rolling out on Tuesday 8/3

OTA was halted Wednesday 8/4 because many users were calling in about Flash player not be included.

Flash will be available as a separate download towards the end of August.

OTA was resumed that same day and is rolling out in 10,000 devices at a time stages starting in larger areas and should be complete by the 15th.

There are no plans to release another update (maybe referring to FRG22) in the near future.

Also:
I asked about the manual update method that is "talked about on a lot of websites". She cautioned me to be careful with any downloads and make sure that it comes from a Google server and is build FRG01B.

missrachel

Reaction score
I'm sorry to be crass but this is BULLSH*T!!!

Come on Verizon, Google, Adobe... get your stuff together. Froyo and flash have been a LONG time coming.. "hackers" have been running Froyo since what, June?! I am seriously disappointed with the way VZW has been rolling out OS updates........

Even so I still love my dancedroid especially with FRG01B!!!! So take that Verizon!! LoL

ChugIt

Reaction score
Sorry to say but we know far more in these forums tban the vast majority of VZW reps.

My wife is a tech for actual Verizon and not an outsourced call center. These call centers are last to know anything. Even more, these places are who you reach when you dial *611. There is absolutely NO INFO in rep infobanks regarding 2.2 besides a list of features at this time. Anyone who works for VZW that reads this can confirm this, and I am 100% certain about that. Any info you get from dialing *611 and talking about 2.2 at this time is either made up or something they read online (in forums like this). There is nothing in my wife's infobank today about VZW permanently removing 2.2 support. This really means nothing, as tomorrow it may say something. The moral of this post is to agree with OneTenderRebel because he is 100% correct. All ANYONE can do is wait at this point because VZW probably hasn't made ANY decisions about the future of 2.2 for Droid 1 yet. Speculation does nothing but waste everyone's time, just wait.

neubanks89

Reaction score
Sorry to say but we know far more in these forums tban the vast majority of VZW reps.

My wife is a tech for actual Verizon and not an outsourced call center. These call centers are last to know anything. Even more, these places are who you reach when you dial *611. There is absolutely NO INFO in rep infobanks regarding 2.2 besides a list of features at this time. Anyone who works for VZW that reads this can confirm this, and I am 100% certain about that. Any info you get from dialing *611 and talking about 2.2 at this time is either made up or something they read online (in forums like this). There is nothing in my wife's infobank today about VZW permanently removing 2.2 support. This really means nothing, as tomorrow it may say something. The moral of this post is to agree with OneTenderRebel because he is 100% correct. All ANYONE can do is wait at this point because VZW probably hasn't made ANY decisions about the future of 2.2 for Droid 1 yet. Speculation does nothing but waste everyone's time, just wait.

Didn't even know there was a *611. I always call or visit my local verizon store. Everything they have ever told me has been 100%. I agree we shouldn't speculate and I think these forums are doing more harm than good anymore.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
This is potentially unsettling news, especially to someone like me who just adopted Android two months ago. The idea of my phone now being (essentially) totally obsolete is a bit concerning.

Granted, I wasn't expecting much past 2.2, but I thought that was more or less a lock.

At this point, should I go ahead and try to manually install 2.2? I'm unrooted and though the idea is intriguing to me, I'm a bit weary of the side effects, and the whole thing seems quite complicated.

It seems like half of the people who have done the manual install are loving the results, and the other half are having some very serious issues.

Am I to assume that if I were to do the update manually and it produces negative side-effects, that there is no way for me to roll back to stock 2.1 without being rooted?

What do you guys suggest at this point?

tehpriest

Reaction score
Speculation and investigation brings out facts and information. Speculation is always worthwhile ask any reporter.

Sal

Reaction score
This is potentially unsettling news, especially to someone like me who just adopted Android two months ago. The idea of my phone now being (essentially) totally obsolete is a bit concerning.

Granted, I wasn't expecting much past 2.2, but I thought that was more or less a lock.

At this point, should I go ahead and try to manually install 2.2? I'm unrooted and though the idea is intriguing to me, I'm a bit weary of the side effects, and the whole thing seems quite complicated.

It seems like half of the people who have done the manual install are loving the results, and the other half are having some very serious issues.

Am I to assume that if I were to do the update manually and it produces negative side-effects, that there is no way for me to roll back to stock 2.1 without being rooted?

I say, when in doubt about what to do, do nothing. It couldn't hurt to just wait it out...

BLeClair12

Reaction score

I say, when in doubt about what to do, do nothing. It couldn't hurt to just wait it out...

This is certainly true, but have the issues related to the manual updates been resolved yet?

Essentially, what I'm saying is, am I risking anything at all by installing the manual update? I know getting rid of task killers have improved people's issue with the battery, and I've heard Facebook has been taken care of?

If there's no risk involved, I would just assume go ahead and do the manual update, which I know was no big deal up until now, because the OTA patch would take care of supposed issues, but now that that patch is in question...

neubanks89

Reaction score
This is certainly true, but have the issues related to the manual updates been resolved yet?

Essentially, what I'm saying is, am I risking anything at all by installing the manual update? I know getting rid of task killers have improved people's issue with the battery, and I've heard Facebook has been taken care of?

If there's no risk involved, I would just assume go ahead and do the manual update, which I know was no big deal up until now, because the OTA patch would take care of supposed issues, but now that that patch is in question...[/QUOTE]

According to my sources the issues involved with the manual update had nothing to do with the system itself, only with people interpretations of the upgrade.

Supposedly upgrading from ESE81 required a substantial change in software and takes a little while to get up to speed (reason for the occasional force close, slow launcher, etc.). There are many apps that don't work correctly on froyo yet (task killers, music streaming apps, etc.) but that will be fixed with time, once developers get a hold of the new software to test their apps.

Nothing is wrong with the update itself but there's essentially a "growing pains" period after the update that might be concerning to some users. I manually updated mine tuesday night and have had is reboot itself several times since but today I have no problems and everything is working wonderfully. I'd say go for it, because FRG01B is what everyone is going to be getting anyway.

droid958

Reaction score
Well I bought a phone in November that was advertised would have flashplayer so if it don't get it that's false advertisement at the least and probably breach of contract. I would want an upgrade at the least.

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
I manually upgraded on Tuesday, had absolutely no problems with the install. Afterwards it did run really slow for about half a day after it updated, but since then it's been more responsive and faster then 2.1. I have no idea why it ran sluggish that first day. I've been more then happy with it, though. I did notice that Flash Beta was a little choppy when trying to play video, and occasionally the home screen likes to take a bit loading everything, but other then that no serious problems. If they do try to roll me back I'll finally have to root, something that has suddenly become more attractive with the one click rooting program that you can buy on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.