The "Official" Waiting for an Update Thread

GoBears

Reaction score
The phones been out 3 going on 4 months. How many updates were you expecting to be completed and tested in that time? They don't just throw a few fixes together and push it like GB was. It's a brand new OS and things are being written from scratch. It takes time. Also don't piss on the work of the Devs, referring to them as joe shmoe in their mothers basement. That might have been the most stupid comment I've ever read. They are very intelligent and hard working and do it all for FREE for us to enjoy. In fact, the whiney little comments sound a lot like some spoiled little brat living in their mother's basement. Sbenson is completely right. You would have to intentionly try to "hard" brick it. Stop your whining and sell the damned thing if you dislike it so much. I used to love this site but it turned into a bunch of complainers who whine about every little thing. Grab your nuts and your usb cable and take care of the problems. Like it or not, the solutions people are giving you are the only ones available right now. Rant over... Peace out.

sethm1

Reaction score
Currently have 4.0.2 and per all the hype from Google (& Verizon?) thought the nexus would be first to get updates. Noe I hear the Motorola Xoom is getting 4.0.4.

I can't wait for an update & hear 4.0.4 / 4.0.5 will fix many issues -
Such as slow auto rotate, network, better multi tasking & others.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
The phones been out 3 going on 4 months. How many updates were you expecting to be completed and tested in that time? They don't just throw a few fixes together and push it like GB was. It's a brand new OS and things are being written from scratch. It takes time. Also don't piss on the work of the Devs, referring to them as joe shmoe in their mothers basement. That might have been the most stupid comment I've ever read. They are very intelligent and hard working and do it all for FREE for us to enjoy. In fact, the whiney little comments sound a lot like some spoiled little brat living in their mother's basement. Sbenson is completely right. You would have to intentionly try to "hard" brick it. Stop your whining and sell the damned thing if you dislike it so much. I used to love this site but it turned into a bunch of complainers who whine about every little thing. Grab your nuts and your usb cable and take care of the problems. Like it or not, the solutions people are giving you are the only ones available right now. Rant over... Peace out.

Agreed completely. I'll take the stable workings of the Devs over rushed official updates any day. If I am going to be getting an update, I want it to be an update, not just something referred to as an update.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Currently have 4.0.2 and per all the hype from Google (& Verizon?) thought the nexus would be first to get updates. Noe I hear the Motorola Xoom is getting 4.0.4.

I can't wait for an update & hear 4.0.4 / 4.0.5 will fix many issues -
Such as slow auto rotate, network, better multi tasking & others.

The Wifi Xoom is a different device. Nothing said the Galaxy Nexus would be THE first device get updated. Google has already put the CDMA version in a different path for likely good and valid reasons that I don't understand (nor do I want to). The history of Nexus devices is that they get updated by Google which has been faster than the OEM's. It seems to me that Google decided that 4.0.3 wasn't ready for prime time so they didn't push it out. Some will get pissed because of delayed updates, others would get pissed if we got updates that weren't complete; how does Google win in either situation? They wait and push an update that they feel is best as that's less likely to get the bloggers and media in a frenzy.

My phone is far from unusable... sure there are some things that are an annoyance but it's still better than the X2 I was using. Maybe since I came from a device with way more problems I'm just more tolerant of this one. Crashes are annoying sure (infrequent, but still annoying) and battery life could be better (I've learned to adjust so I'm not babying my phone anymore). 4.0 is new, and was bound to have issues. I was confident when I bought this phone that there would be issues, and that those issues would be addressed over time. I'm still thinking along those lines. More communication from Google would be great, but they don't owe us that either.

WookieClaws

Reaction score

I think the complaining is just the nature of the beast. I remember people getting all butt hurt when updates were delayed for the G1, the same sorts of things were said. The reality is the phone was working on the old version and will just get better when the new version arrives. Our society is so riddled with the need for instant gratification that waiting MONTHS for a SW update becomes the end of the world.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lest we forget, the Galaxy Nexus is/was the ONLY device to even have ICS, for quite awhile now. A few devices on other carriers started receiving it within the last month or so, but that's it.

As far as delays to these small, incremental updates, blame Verizon, and blame differences in devices. The Wifi Xoom, for example, doesn't have to deal with software for an LTE radio.

And as far as things related to the OP :)tongue:), anybody else notice that Gmail (as well as a couple of other google apps) were updated today? And Gmail, coincidentally, was updated to 4.0.5? It MUST mean something, right?

hopeful.gif

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just saw the update to Books and Gmail, and street view Google Maps. Can only mean good things:hail:

gernerttl

Reaction score
I wouldn't put much stock in that. I also got the same updates on my Galaxy Tap 10.1 which is running Android 3.2...

sethm1

Reaction score
Agree more communication from Google would b nice.
I am just an avg consumer & seemed to me that when the Galaxy Nexus was introduced, it seemed that because it is a
Google phone that it would b the first to get updates.

All for testing being pretty much perfect before there released, but still feel a little more communication would have been nice. As I write this realize a dream world - cant think of too many companies that publically provide updates to OS
testing ( except for Microsoft).

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Agree more communication from Google would b nice.
I am just an avg consumer & seemed to me that when the Galaxy Nexus was introduced, it seemed that because it is a
Google phone that it would b the first to get updates.

All for testing being pretty much perfect before there released, but still feel a little more communication would have been nice. As I write this realize a dream world - cant think of too many companies that publically provide updates to OS
testing ( except for Microsoft).

Agreed, but development cycles are a prickly thing. Things don't always go as planned so companies tend to not share information until it's done so they don't have to apologize for delays later. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.

gernerttl

Reaction score
Agreed, but development cycles are a prickly thing. Things don't always go as planned so companies tend to not share information until it's done so they don't have to apologize for delays later. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.

WookieClaws is right. Just look at past faux pas by software and video game makers when it came to setting and announcing release dates. They either released a substandard product on time, or delayed the release...both of which got them bad PR.

rbw62

Reaction score
Good one..lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

wolfman4u

Reaction score
Looks like it was bad info from BMX / mobile panda, so anyone heard any more on this release?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

gernerttl

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about it. It was a rumor to begin with; and then it gets reported in a news article, which people then interpret as fact.