The "Official" Waiting for an Update Thread

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Showed people beat boxing, was terrible lol.

But yeah there was so many things they could have highlighted about the Nexus/ICS in a commercial, seems odd they wouldn't want to use even a 10th of the money they spent advertising the Razr. But I guess they like their bloatware devices a bit more.
How you gonna talk about the Fat Boys like that? :p

gernerttl

Reaction score
I saw one TV commercial for the GN a while ago... basically advertising Google+

I missed that one. That's what I get for not paying attention to commercials. I guess I should Google it to see what I missed. :-D

At any rate, I like my GNex and I like Verizon. It's better than my old Fascinate (which I thought was an awesome phone), and my two previous Black Berries (A Curve then a Storm 2) don't even rank in the same league. My wife has my old Fascinate and she thinks it's a great phone.

Where I'm at in South Eastern Arizona, most of the complaints about phone service come from my Sprint and AT&T friends. My Verizon and T-Mobile friends are all pretty much happy campers when it comes to our 3G and voice service. We (Verizon at any rate) don't have 4G LTE yet, but I expect it here in the next four to six months. That's based on past experience of how Verizon rolled out there 3G in this area; not from any official Verizon announcement.

gernerttl

Reaction score
I missed that one. That's what I get for not paying attention to commercials. I guess I should Google it to see what I missed. :-D

At any rate, I like my GNex and I like Verizon. It's better than my old Fascinate (which I thought was an awesome phone), and my two previous Black Berries (A Curve then a Storm 2) don't even rank in the same league. My wife has my old Fascinate and she thinks it's a great phone.

Where I'm at in South Eastern Arizona, most of the complaints about phone service come from my Sprint and AT&T friends. My Verizon and T-Mobile friends are all pretty much happy campers when it comes to our 3G and voice service. We (Verizon at any rate) don't have 4G LTE yet, but I expect it here in the next four to six months. That's based on past experience of how Verizon rolled out there 3G in this area; not from any official Verizon announcement.

Ok. I Googled GNex TV commericials, and I do remember one. The boy who was trying to unlock his dad's phone.

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well,Sunday is the 15th,and that puts us half way through this mnth,so Id like to think we're really close. DancingNexus

gernerttl

Reaction score
I'm not all that concerned. It will come out when it comes out and not one second sooner. I still think the GNex is a great phone. I've owned one other Android (Fascinate), two different Black Berries (Curve and Storm 2) and a Palm Treo and the GNex kicks the snot out of all of them. I won't ever own an iPhone, mainly because I am not a Kool-aid drinker. :biggrin:

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to BMX, his version of 4.0.5 runs fine. He's says Verizon has what they need from Google, but Big Red is delaying because of unicorns....
By the way guys,stop listing to BMX,may I direct your attention to your friendly reps at VZW,they will tell you when this update will be pushed out,and all the VZW reps are :hail:me. :p

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not all that concerned. It will come out when it comes out and not one second sooner. I still think the GNex is a great phone. I've owned one other Android (Fascinate), two different Black Berries (Curve and Storm 2) and a Palm Treo and the GNex kicks the snot out of all of them. I won't ever own an iPhone, mainly because I am not a Kool-aid drinker. :biggrin:
I can understand the Iphone comment,but Kool-Aid,thats where I draw the line BUDDY BOY!!!!! :p

gernerttl

Reaction score
I can understand the Iphone comment,but Kool-Aid,thats where I draw the line BUDDY BOY!!!!! :p

Touche... Yes, Kool-aid is a delicious and refreshing drink and I like drinking it (I'm a fruit punch flavor fan myself).

I just won't drink Apple's Kool-aid. :p

To the makers of Kool-aid, you can blame Jim Jones for all of the Kool-aid drinker comments.:biggrin:

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touche... Yes, Kool-aid is a delicious and refreshing drink and I like drinking it (I'm a fruit punch flavor fan myself).

I just won't drink Apple's Kool-aid. :p

To the makers of Kool-aid, you can blame Jim Jones for all of the Kool-aid drinker comments.:biggrin:
Lol!!!,on the Jim Jones comment,that was a good one. +1

pabowhunter

Reaction score
Because according to Verizon and Google, nexus means official updates straight from Google. Rooting voids your warranty. On a phone that is known for running hot, I'd rather not take that chance. Plus I like Google's software a lot more than Joe Shmoe making roms out of his mothers basement. I like pure android, not a company's skin or an Indy developers version. That's also what nexus means. Pure android. Updates straight from Google. Those are a lot more associated with Nexus than "meant to be rommed", except in a few techie forums and sites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Agree.... Well said

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wolfman4u

Reaction score
I read it's being rolled out to GSM now and to the LTE soon.

Where did you see that? Everything I have seen stems from that BMX tweet which didn't pan out. Just curious.

Thanks

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
This update is cake, and we all know the cake is a lie

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Because according to Verizon and Google, nexus means official updates straight from Google. Rooting voids your warranty. On a phone that is known for running hot, I'd rather not take that chance. Plus I like Google's software a lot more than Joe Shmoe making roms out of his mothers basement. I like pure android, not a company's skin or an Indy developers version. That's also what nexus means. Pure android. Updates straight from Google. Those are a lot more associated with Nexus than "meant to be rommed", except in a few techie forums and sites.

Not all rom makers are joe shmoe's working out of moms basement........its my dads basement darnit! :)

Just wanted to add..i thought this same thing from dec 2010-april 2011 when i finally got tired of waiting for froyo on the droid.
I was scared to death of rooting and at that time it was much more complicated than it is now adays.
Trust me if you were to root and install a custom rom you would never look back.
But voiding Warranty is a legitimate concern. and I have to agree with most posters here that verizon and google did a bate and switch and intentionally led people to believe this was a google nexus device (to include having source for it until most developers bought the phone than removed it)
with expectation of Nexus type updates from google.
Even with that its a darn good device and i heard a rumor it even makes phone calls.