The "Official" Waiting for an Update Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Crankintopwater69, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Crossbreed AOKP. Obviously, it's not built from source, but it's still decent. Unfortunately you'll have to live with the questionable design choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  2. wireman2161

wireman2161 New Member

i am running crossbreed and loving it . its supper smooth with great battery life and tons of custumizations plus you get the new radios wich have been a little better for me
  3. nadav64

nadav64 New Member

Wow Google you suck!
    This phone was supposed to be the king of Android and by the way things are looking you forgot that this is your custom made Google pure Android phone. 4.0.2 sucks and as of now I have been officially stuck with it for a couple of months.Please get you act together and start providing updates because of now 4.0.2 is the only official version for GSM and it's ****!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  4. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Jeez chill. This is probably more Verizon's fault than Google's.

EDIT: Wait, are you a GMS lurker?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Frustration noted and understood... but here, have a beer! :icon_ lala:
  6. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Yes they are taking awhile, but I'd rather have them get it right the first time than having a minor update every couple days/weeks to fix little problems.
  7. nadav64

nadav64 New Member

I understand but try understanding me!
    I can only get updates from Google and right now GSM version is using 4.02.
    4.0.2 is slow, buggy, weak radios and much more.
    One of the main reasons that I bought this phone was because of the updates and now I don't even get them.

8. WookieClaws

WookieClaws Member

I'm thinking that's they way it will be since VZW has 2 apps that come with the OS. Sucks... kind of make the Nexus a Nexus Lite in that regard. Great phone though and I'm super happy with it, but there's def a filter between Google and us.
  9. WookieClaws

WookieClaws Member

I didn't realize the GSM version had radio problems too.
    You can choose to root/mod to get updates faster. That may not something that you want to do (I don't), but if you are really unhappy with the phone's performance that is an option to consider.
    Even after not getting updates since release, if we get an update in April that is STILL faster than any other phone will get updates. THAT is why I chose a Nexus phone. All phones have issues though, my thinking is that with a Nexus we have the best chance of getting issues fixed. We all want them now (tomorrow at the latest), but development isn't always instant. I work for a company that makes hardware and writes its own firmware and software. Bugs etc take time to sort out and fix. No matter how much you test you never find it all.
  10. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

The rest of the stock Nexuses/Nexii out there are on 4.0.2 as well. Believe me you're not the only one having to deal with 4.0.2. I'm on a 4.0.2 ROM and I'm not experiencing any lag or slowness whatsoever. My signal has always been solid with 3-4 bars, then again I might be in a better area than you.
  11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

There are also necessary proprietary files that go along with a CDMA device, which is another reason why Verizon has a big hand in the updates.
  12. mikespe

mikespe New Member

You people kill me with your complaints about updates LOL! Try owning a Bionic! I just switched to a Nexus from the Bionic because of a locked bootloader, bad data issues, TERRIBLE battery life...and flashing roms is dangerous & aren't complete. I'm running Liquid 1.25 on my new used Nexus and loving life! It is so freeing to be able to install whatever rom I want! The Bionic is like living in a gated community. Yea there are some benefits but it's WAY too restricting!

and for those who are "waiting for something official"...why own the Nexus? This phone was created with the developer in mind...it is MEANT to be open & rooted. That's it's power. For those who won't root (which I do respect your choice...rooting is NOT for everyone) the RAZR MAX might be the better choice....
  13. gernerttl

gernerttl New Member

This is mild compared to the complaints being posted when Froyo for certain Samsung phones was delayed. They were rather quite humorous...especially the ones about bring a class action lawsuit against Verizon or people threatening to drop Verizon.
  14. wolstonc

wolstonc New Member

Because according to Verizon and Google, nexus means official updates straight from Google. Rooting voids your warranty. On a phone that is known for running hot, I'd rather not take that chance. Plus I like Google's software a lot more than Joe Shmoe making roms out of his mothers basement. I like pure android, not a company's skin or an Indy developers version. That's also what nexus means. Pure android. Updates straight from Google. Those are a lot more associated with Nexus than "meant to be rommed", except in a few techie forums and sites.

15. gernerttl

gernerttl New Member

Amen!
  16. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Every android is better with root. But I just can't learn that whole process of rooting. I wish it was easier to root and install roms. I don't have enough time throughout the day to come home sit down and worry about something going wrong with my phone because I have to unroot it!

For whoever knows how to root and has gotten comfortable installing roms, thats great I wish I knew how. I just don't like trying things on my own. If I had someone explain to me and I got comfortable with it I'd root too and try things to make the phone better and more fun.

But for now I don't wanna root because I can do screenshots, tether, lock apps , etc things that were only available with root in the past. I'd just want my battery to last all day and have the phone be a bit smoother and this phone would be perfect for me.
  17. WookieClaws

WookieClaws Member

Not all of us are complaining about updates... though I do want it. I'm willing to wait for the OTA to be ready, and right. People are impatient and want what they want when they want it. Human nature I guess, but not all of us are super uptight. I will be a happy camper when that OTA notice arrives though :)

As for rooting, yeah its not for everyone. But that doesn't mean a Nexus isn't for you either. I don't want to brick a $600 phone, that's not my idea of a good time. I've also go insurance on my phone and would like to be able to use it in case something happens. I don't have a backup VZW phone to use for another year if something happened to my Nexus. Plus, I actually like my phone stock. I got a Nexus because it will see updates faster than any other line of phones. May be no as fast as some want/expect but it will be faster than the Bionic or Razr etc.
  18. gunner8168

gunner8168 New Member

The only reason someone bricks their phone is either because they didn't do the research first or because they were trying something new I didn't understand how to use wugfreshes root tool kit but I just read and watched a few videos and now I'm totally comfortable. And if your worried about having to make an insurance claim and you are totally screwed I do believe they cover damage " wink wink "

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  19. xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx New Member

I've heard it's pretty difficult to hard brick this phone. Almost any brick that occurs can be repaired by returning to stock via Wug's. It is a developer phone, and with the unlocked bootloader, it is tough to hard brick.
  20. billyk

billyk New Member

For me, I've got no problem waiting for the update.

Hey, I get to use the hottest phone on the market in the mean time. :biggrin:
Search tags for this page

android 4.0.5 release date

clnd galaxy s 4
fascinate jelly bean
official waiting for updates