[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

dom12726

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to rooting and ROMs and I feel like I'm stuck on the last part of installing the rom. what I have done so far is unlock my rezound with htcdev. I believe I rooted successfully because I was able to install ra-vigor-v3.15-getitnowmarketing to replace my recovery menu and backup the stock rom to my sd card. With in vigor I can wipe internal memory and then install from zip cleanrom pro 4.5. After the install I then go back to bootloader through developer menu. then in the bootloader it attempts to read PH98IMG.zip (I pulled the boot.img out of the cleanrom pro zip extracted it and change the name to "PH98IMG", compressed again to become "PH98IMG.ZIP" and saved it to the root of my sd card) green writing comes up and says parsing...[PH98IMG.zip]. I the reboot the phone and I can get to the cleanrom startup animation but then the screen stays at "frozen" at the end of the animation and just says "clean rom" and I have left it for 2 hours with no result. That's where I am. I can restore to the stock rom with no issues and use the phone but I want clean rom! I have tried these steps for both the pro and standard version with no results. Also I downloaded and installed in recovery something to lower the main version of the phone because the PH98IMg.zip gave me an error previously that the main version was higher. I NEED HELP!
Info about my phone from boot loader:
**** tampered****
****unlocked***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.27.0000
RADIO-2.22.10.0801r/22.22.10.0803r
OpenDSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507
eMMC-boot
Aug 6 2012,19:24:37

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the kernel isn't loaded properly. What I would do if I were you is to load the kernel manually.

Unzip PH98IMG.zip and put the boot.img file on your PC(make sure to remove PH98IMG.zip from your SD card)
Reboot the phone into the bootloader and plug into your PC
On your PC run the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
Once this is successful, reboot the phone
You should boot into your ROM now.

dom12726

Reaction score
some what success

i was able to boot up cleanrom 4.5 and i see super user installed and i updated it. but when i attempt to wifi tether it just fails and doesn't ask for permissions from super user. i have attempted update the binary but it fails to gain root access. what should i do?

Bpowder33

Reaction score
i was able to boot up cleanrom 4.5 and i see super user installed and i updated it. but when i attempt to wifi tether it just fails and doesn't ask for permissions from super user. i have attempted update the binary but it fails to gain root access. what should i do?

Catching up on your posts it looks like your on the global ruu and on amonra 3.15, you most likely rooted the device by installing su and superuser from development options in amonra recovery. However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that feature was broke with that version of amonra on ics, which is why we were installing the supersu.zip to gain root access. This issue was however fixed in amonra 3.16. May need to update your recovery and retry

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

Didn't Scott patch the stock hotspot app in CleanRom? If so, why not use that? It doesn't need root and it works really well. If you plan on using wifi tether, make sure your settings are correct

Profile: Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
Type: Netd (master)
Check reload wifi driver
Check Routing fix

dom12726

Reaction score
issues with recovery?

Didn't Scott patch the stock hotspot app in CleanRom? If so, why not use that? It doesn't need root and it works really well. If you plan on using wifi tether, make sure your settings are correct

Profile: Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
Type: Netd (master)
Check reload wifi driver
Check Routing fix

i have tried the above settings and leaving profile and type on auto with no luck. I'm downloading a different ROM and i have downloaded amon ra 3.16. i was wondering before i continue will have an issue if i ever have to recover back to stock since it was recovered originally on 3.15?

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
i have tried the above settings and leaving profile and type on auto with no luck. I'm downloading a different ROM and i have downloaded amon ra 3.16. i was wondering before i continue will have an issue if i ever have to recover back to stock since it was recovered originally on 3.15?

If you want to go back to 100% stock then you should just lock the phone and run the stock RUU. It will leave you 100% stock.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Holy Smokes!
I've been trying to root this damn Rezound all day and can't get it to work!
I've done it before, then rerooted to get an OTA update.

I've followed instructions a number of times including the ones in this thread.
I got the aman ra flashed and superuser installed yet Titanium can't get root access.

The only thing that is different that I can see is when I boot into the bootloader, at the top of the screen, it says,
****Tampered****
****Unlocked*****

Any ideas anyone?
This is really frustrating.

Thanks
B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Holy Smokes!
I've been trying to root this damn Rezound all day and can't get it to work!
I've done it before, then rerooted to get an OTA update.

I've followed instructions a number of times including the ones in this thread.
I got the aman ra flashed and superuser installed yet Titanium can't get root access.

The only thing that is different that I can see is when I boot into the bootloader, at the top of the screen, it says,
****Tampered****
****Unlocked*****

Any ideas anyone?
This is really frustrating.

Thanks
B

What version of amonra you flash? And how did you install superuser?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I think it's 3.13.
I installed that one first then installed 3.14 but it's still on 3.13.
I installed superuser through the amon ra recovery.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Okay, finally got it to work.
I put an updated version of Superuser.zip on my sd card and flashed it using AmonRa.

Thanks for your help!
B

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a stupid question.
Since rooting, the phone went back to factory specs.
Now it won't successfully download and install the Verizon OTA from however long ago.

Should it be able to or is that a limitation of rooting?

Thanks
B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a stupid question.
Since rooting, the phone went back to factory specs.
Now it won't successfully download and install the Verizon OTA from however long ago.

Should it be able to or is that a limitation of rooting?

Thanks
B

Yes, while you're rooted you won't be able to update. The best way to update is to re-lock the phone and run the latest RUU.