[how to] unlock bootloader through htc dev linux edition

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

INSTRUCTIONS WERE TAKING FROM MACPRO88 WINDOWS AND I DID SLIGHT MODIFICATION TO MAKE IT LINUX COMPATIBLE I USED THIS METHOD TO UNLOCK MY REZOUND I KNOW IT WORKS USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

First and foremost, you need to understand what you are doing:
-You are voiding your warranty!
-You can possibly brick (rendered useless aka expensive paperweight) your phone!​
To avoid such:
-Read! Read! Read!
-If stuck, ask! ask! ask! We are all here for you!

Lets get started shall we?

Next, we need to visit HTC Dev and sign up for a free account if you have not done so already.

Once you have gotten your email and have activated your HTC Dev account, we can get started!

Now visit HTC Dev's Unlock Bootloader site.

On the right hand side you will see the "Begin Unlock Bootloader" button. Click it!
(Note that if you view the compatible devices, Rezound will NOT be listed, do not worry, for this method still works)​

-Click "Yes" to continue.

-You must accept the legal terms here, basically its saying that:
-HTC and your carrier are NOT responsible for your actions
-You are voiding your warranty
-If you screw up, look to the community for help, not us, or we will charge you full price for a new phone

Now we can finally get started! You can follow the instructions on the website, or you can follow them here. They are the same. I am simply re-posting for reference and ease of access (and making my own tweaks to better understand).

Danger! Dragons lay ahead! This will factory reset your phone! Thus loosing everything! (It did for me at least)

Prereqs:
1. You followed above and have created and HTC Dev account
2. You have the Android SDK installed
3. Your Rezound is in fastboot mode, connected via USB to your computer
4. Your Rezound has a fully charged battery
5. The HTC Dev site instruction page open, following along, as you will need to interact with the site when it comes time, note, my instructions may be a bit different our out of order, I assure you, they are the same.

NEXT FOLLOW THE HTC WEBSITE STEPS
(this is on the website)

After you've pulled the battery and placed it back in, hold VolumeDown and Power button to restart. At white screen, select Fastboot with volume rocker and hit the power button. Connect cable from phone to your Linux computer

Download the Linux version of the Fastboot in Step 5 of the HTC Website. Uncompress it and place it in android/sdk/platform-tools

Open a new Terminal window type cd android/sdk/platform-tools
and type in
Code:
 chmod +x fastboot

close the terminal and reopen and cd android/sdk/platform-tools
and test it out

Code:
 fastboot devices

type in

Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
You will get a big block of numbers and letter. This is what you need. Following along with the HTC Dev site as well, keep going through the steps until you get to this part and to the part where is asks for this block.

IMPORTANT! You need everything including the text that reads: <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>.
(Leave the command prompt window open, you will need this still)

Paste this info into the submit field and click on submit!

If it goes through you'll get a Congratulations webpage and your unlock file will be sent to your registered email.

Download the Unlock_code.bin file into the cd android/sdk/platform-tools

Go back into the Terminal window.
Type:
Code:
 fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
A very beautiful screen shall pop up on the phone, asking you to unlock! Use volume button to scroll, power button to select.
I hope that selected "Yes?" Right? I hope so!

The Rezound you own now has an unlocked bootloader!

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
Awesomeness! I have to say that I really appreciate you guys making these tutorials! I used to write a few for SBF'ing Motorola phones and it can be a tad tedious.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Great write up, but the bricking part is probably going to scare people unnecessarily. I haven't seen/heard of a single hard brick yet. However I understand the necessity for a statement like that...CYA

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt a hard brick is possible as well, but I like to make sure members know what they are getting into before they dive in with out knowing what they are doing and what the possible out comes are.

Brick is very unlikely, specially just from unlocking.

Anyways, thanks for making the linux version!