[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound Development' started by macpro88, Dec 28, 2011.

1. amschmid

amschmid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting pretty frustrated that I can't get the identifier token. I still get stuck on "waiting for device."

I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of the SDK downloaded from google. I've followed these instructions, the one on HTCdev website, and another that put the specific files need in their own folder. In every case, when I open a command prompt in the "platform tools" folder (or the specific folder with the files in it), I can get the serial number when the phone is booted normally (in USB debugging mode), but I can't get the identifier token in fastboot.

I have learned that the command "fastboot devices" should give me the serial number while in fastboot, just as "adb devices" does while the phone is booted normally. This isn't working either. It just bring up a new command line. So I'm guessing something is wrong with fastboot, even though I've downloaded at least 3 different copies to 3 different folders and it happens for each.

I've rebooted the computer several times. I've used different USB ports. I originally installed the drivers using PDA net. I've since uninstalled PDAnet, installed HTC Sync, exited it from the system tray, uninstalled it, re-installed it, and closed it again. No luck. I've tried disabling the antivirus software and the firewall built into windows 8.

What should I try next?

2. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Oh for Pete's sake!

I was dicking around with a kernel update file for my S-on, stock ICS Rezound, when the OTA update thing happened---maybe mid-stream in things. It totally screwed up my wifi.

So I did a Factory Reset, then loaded the latest (from last August) RUU zip file I got from Android Police via the bootloader. Of course I checked the md5sum on the zip file and re-locked the bootloader prior to doing that load.

Now, for the life of me, I cannot re-unlock the bootloader. I get stuck at the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin " waiting for the flash to happen. Nothing happens. Any other fastboot command I try works just fine, such as devices, or reboot, but *NOT* the flash. It hangs.

Finally, I used both the original Unlock_code.bin in the fastboot flash unlocktoken command, as well as a newly generated one (it was identical to the original one) that I got by going through the htcdev unlock process again.

I've exhausted all the options I can think of, so I'm reaching out to you pros.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
    john

3. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Here are two things to try:

1) re-flash the RUU. It should always be flashed twice.

2) This might sound dumb, but try a different computer.

4. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Mr. Smith, Thanks so much for your suggestions...
    ...of course I'll give number 1 a try this evening. I've already tried your second suggestion, so that cannot be it. In fact, I've probably re-flashed the RUU zip about 5 times in the past several days, but I don't think I thought about doing it twice one right after the other. Fwiw, it seems almost like I cannot write to the unlocktoken partition of my bootloader; like it's a permissions thing. I'll get back to you when I've done the business this evening. cheers, john

5. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, Mr. Smith, I can now say definitively that I've done both of these. In fact, I went ahead and
    re-flashed 4 times, one after another. I also grabbed my other computer to do the flash. (Both
    computers that I've tried flashing with are running Ubuntu (11.10) Linux)

It's still a no-go.

Somehow, I've messed with something and my phone is now disallowing writes to the bootloader
    unlocktoken partition.

I'm certainly keen on listening to other ideas... :)

many thanks,
    john

6. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I'm going to assume there's no way to try from a Windows PC? There's no good reason for it not to work from Ubuntu because that's how I originally unlocked and rooted my phone but just throwing it out there as an option. I can't really think of anything else other than trying to get an exchange(if you can)from Verizon.

7. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Mr Smith,

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately, at this time it's not possible for me to try things with a Windows PC.

Like you, I've unlocked and rooted this device using Ubuntu. Several times. I'm having a difficult time believing that is the os. I'm using an up to date version of the sdk as well. :-(

I cannot think of any reason to wait any longer to flash the global ruu. Maybe the updated hboot will remove the restriction I've placed on myself...

Cheers,
    John

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

8. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah go for it. Hopefully everything works out for you. Keep us posted on your progress(if any)

9. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I'm back from flashing the Global Update ROM (of course, per your instructions, I did it twice); and, well, I can only report that the situation with unlocking for me is exactly the same: A no-go. :( Like I speculated before, I must've done something to toggle a write permission on that partition in the boot.img (or where ever that partition resides). I simply get no response, it hangs, when I try to flash to the unlocktoken partition. All other fastboot commands that I've tried get the expected responses---on both ROMs. Thanks for your help! cheers, john

10. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    On Formatting Posts...

While I'm thinking about it: I cannot figure out how to get the forum software to take my posts without reformatting them! I put paragraphs in my post, and they're merged into one running line. Can someone make this easy on me, and suggest where I can look to find this out? thanks, john

11. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It's not the forum app, it's tapatalk. That app has never taken paragraphs for some ungodly reason. If anyone knows how to fix that please let us know.

On your flashing problem, I can't even begin to understand why it's not taking the flash command. Fastboot flash is actually how you're supposed to flash whole partitions. I do have one thought. Try this fastboot and if need be this driver as well. I know the driver is a pre-sync driver so you won't have to turn sync off.

http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/CarePackage.zip

Make sure you don't have fastboot running. Check your task manager before starting the one in my zip file.

12. jrredho

jrredho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Egad, I'm High Overhead...

Thanks, again, Mr Smith for your kind persistence!

Actually, no, I'm using the web forum interface using firefox. So, while Tapatalk might also be a problem, the web interface was re-formatting my replies too. This is even after I made some changes to my Profile Settings. But, after I logged out and back in, voila! No more auto-formatting. :)

Now, back to the topic at hand...

...I know what you mean. Am I correct in assuming this the unlocktoken partition is in the bootloader firmware section? If so, and if I'm S-on, can I actually flash that whole partition?

Thanks for the pointers, too.

(I'll try to find a Windows PC to try them with. I'll also have to look at some of the Windows-oriented tutorials to understand what you mean by "Task Manager" and "sync"!)

cheers,
    john

Search tags for this page
how to unlock bootloader htc rezound

how to unlock htc rezound

how to unlock htc rezound bootloader
htc rezound bootloader
htc rezound drivers
unlock bootloader htc rezound
unlock bootloader rezound
unlock htc rezound
unlock htc rezound bootloader