[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Check out the ROM'ing section in the OP of this thread, it will instruct you on how to extract and flash the kernel(boot.img) from the rom you downloaded. Should solve your problem :)

Yeah I used those directions in addition to the ones for the ROM above. I think you're missing the part where I said I can't get into recovery mode with the SD card in the phone. If I can't get into recovery mode, I can't flash the kernel, unless I misunderstood something along the way. I CAN get into recovery mode without the SD card in the phone, but not sure what I should do in there, if anything, to try and fix my state.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Just pull the sd card to get into fastboot. You don't need it in to flash the boot.img

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Just pull the sd card to get into fastboot. You don't need it in to flash the boot.img

oh ok thanks, I didn't know that. So I want to make sure I don't screw this up any worse than it already is. What exactly do I want to do in fastboot? Do I go into recovery and then developer options and then "make and flash boot from zimage" ? I guess I'm confused b/c if I'm looking at the ROM'ing section it seems like I either need to run the command from the computer command line, or from the zip file on the sd card, and I don't think I can do either right now.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Your gonna extract the boot.img file from the rom and put it on your pc where the fastboot.exe is. Same place where you put your unlocktoken to unlock the device. Then in a command prompt change to that directory where the boot.img is located and run the command fastboot flash boot boot.img

raleighmatt

Reaction score
While the phone is in fastboot I should add...

Ah ok. Unfortunately I don't think that'll work, the computer isn't seeing the phone. (If I run adb devices, nothing comes up, last night the phone was listed when I ran the command, before I got into this state.)

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Try doing a hard reboot of your computer, then plug your phone with usb while in fastboot and see if it recognizes it

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Try doing a hard reboot of your computer, then plug your phone with usb while in fastboot and see if it recognizes it

That was a good idea and worth a try. It didn't work though :-( On another thread I heard about a trick to leave the sd card in the slot but pulled out just far enough to not make contact, then go into fastboot and plug the card in and then go into recovery. That trick worked so that's what I did. Then I had to decide between trying to continue and fix my mistake, which I believe was not flashing the kernel, or recovering my saved state and either giving up or starting over. So I recovered, and that worked. Now my phone is up and working again and recognized by my computer.

So... if I were to attempt this again, how do I flash the kernel after changing to the ineffabilis ROM? (Or before changing the ROM) either way, I wasn't clear on how to do that piece in the fastboot/recovery menu.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your PC won't be able to see the phone with ADB, try "fastboot devices" instead

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I honestly do believe you couldn't get past the white htc screen because you never flashed the kernel that goes with the rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113140

Go to this post and scroll down to the frequency asked questions section and read under "is this rom s_on compatible"
This is exactly how I flash every rom. Try avoiding flashing ROM's as PH98img in fastboot, that's how you run into mainver issues you were seeing.

raleighmatt

Reaction score
I honestly do believe you couldn't get past the white htc screen because you never flashed the kernel that goes with the rom.

[ROM][Unofficial] CM10.1 [JB-4.2.2] for HTC Rezound [3-27-13] - xda-developers

Go to this post and scroll down to the frequency asked questions section and read under "is this rom s_on compatible"
This is exactly how I flash every rom. Try avoiding flashing ROM's as PH98img in fastboot, that's how you run into mainver issues you were seeing.

Thanks guys, yeah I didn't flash the kernel that was the issue. I followed the previous instructions I had pasted exactly as they said, and it sounded like I would be prompted to do something after the ROM flashed, but I wasn't.

Funny thing is I had originally tried the Cyanogenmod 10, and was also on that page you linked to last night. maybe I will try that again. btw, There is no boot.img in the ineffabilis zip file, but I see it in the cyanogenmod zip. I think ineffabilis was different somehow, like supposed to be easier to flash the kernel but didn't work for some reason. *shrug*

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Ah yes, I went to themikmik and the kernel is located underneath the rom as a separate download

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Ah yes, I went to themikmik and the kernel is located underneath the rom as a separate download

Oh man, I get it now. Yeah I downloaded that too, and even had it on my sd card, I just didn't realize it had the boot.img file in it. So maybe what I'll do is tonight I'll follow the directions you linked to about CM10, and see if I can do it right this time around now that I know ahead of time what files I need and where they have to be.

Thanks again for the help, I'm not a developer so it's kind of hard to follow things sometimes even though I use computers every day.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Good luck, and let us know how things go. The JB CM10.1 rom is awesome if you can afford to lose mhl capabilities, camcorder playback and all video playback is choppy.

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Good luck, and let us know how things go. The JB CM10.1 rom is awesome if you can afford to lose mhl capabilities, camcorder playback and all video playback is choppy.

All went well second time around. For anyone interested, this is what I did, it might not have been entirely right, or necessary lol, but it worked: (this is starting with the phone already unlocked and rooted and s-on). I booted to Fastboot, went into the recovery menu and flashed the SetMainVersionLOW.zip. Then I flashed the ineffabilis ROM which rebooted to bootloader automatically when it was done. Connected my phone to the pc, and ran the fastboot flash boot boot.img command, and the reboot command, as your link said to. Phone booted fine after that, with the new ROM.

Thanks again for the help! :icon_ banana: