[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

Regulator

Reaction score
Which recovery do you currently have installed? FYI, no dev I've seen recommends clockwork on the Rezound. If you follow the instructions in the OP you will be in good shape.

Ive got the one linked in the thread, but the newer 3.16 version. I will stick with that. Just got this phone as a replacement for the wife. She don't need much more lol

DROID RAZR MAXX

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
Thanks for the guide!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

shockracer

Reaction score
Is unlocking and rooting still safe from bricking and able to do since the last OTA? First time for me to root so I don't want to brick it.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is unlocking and rooting still safe from bricking and able to do since the last OTA? First time for me to root so I don't want to brick it.

As far as I know it is. I've been involved with several people unlocking and rooting over the past few weeks, so I'd assume it was. Besides, unlock comes right from HTC. Nothing shady about that process at all.

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin

What is your software data stuff? In the settings menu? I just got a Rezound to replace a Droid Charge. It seemed to have the latest ICS stuff on it and I followed Smith's guide...flawless

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
I thought I had a screen shot of min e before rooting....sorry I forgot I wiped all that when I rooted...I believe all should be well though....

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Ugh... After I unlocked the phone, installed amonra, used it to backup, I tried to install a ROM that didn't work, so I used recovery and got back to the unlocked state, no problem. So I tried a different ROM, "ineffabilis", and this is where something happened. It said it was successful, and on reboot I waited about 15 minutes with a blank screen before shutting it off. When I go into HBOOT the usual menu comes up just for a second, then it reads some info and changes to "Main Version is older!" "Update Fail!" and "Press <POWER> to reboot". Now I seem to be rather stuck, I can't get into recovery menu, and rebooting does nothing. Any suggestions? My guess was I need to get the PH98img.zip file off my SD card, but I haven't been able to do that, my computer doesn't show me the card anymore. Any help is much appreciated :hail:

A little more info. If I remove the SD card from the phone, I can get into the amonra recovery menu, wipe, etc. Of course, I can't recover since that's on the SD card. Should I do a factory reset? Should I try to flash using the computer/USB with the SD card out (not sure I can do this, not sure the phone is recognized by my computer anymore).

Last edited:

Bpowder33

Reaction score
What version of amonra did you install? Did you root the device after installing amonra by installing su and superuser under development options?

raleighmatt

Reaction score
What version of amonra did you install? Did you root the device after installing amonra by installing su and superuser under development options?

Version 3.15, I believe. Yes, I did install su and superuser under development options.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Did you install boot.img in fastboot after installing rom, assuming you are s_on?

raleighmatt

Reaction score
Did you install boot.img in fastboot after installing rom, assuming you are s_on?

No, I didn't see anything about that in the directions. I am s_on, yes.

Here are the instructions I was using for the ROM:

1. Download the rom from the link below and copy it to your SD card/Internal storage
2. Reboot your phone into recovery and flash the rom
3. After the installation of the rom is complete, the phone will boot into boot loader where you have two options:
1. If upgrading from a previous Ineffabilis build you can reboot the phone WITHOUT flashing the kernel and immediately reboot the phone.
2. If coming from a DIFFERENT rom, press volume up when prompted. After the installation has completed, press the power button.
4. Make sure you remember to remove the PH98IMG.zip from the root of your sd card

So after doing 3, I was not upgrading from a previous ineffabilis build, so I expected that I would be prompted and would have to volume up to install (something). That didn't happen, it just booted to a black screen and after 15 minutes I realized it hadn't worked. When I booted to HBOOT, I got into the problem I mentioned originally, with the failure messages and inability to access recovery menu (unless I remove the SD card from the phone).

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Check out the ROM'ing section in the OP of this thread, it will instruct you on how to extract and flash the kernel(boot.img) from the rom you downloaded. Should solve your problem :)