SBF to root and to unroot

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
well it looks like im really ****ed now

"Failed flashing process. 0x7100; phone connected"

Now what do i do? I can't flash back to 2.01 now.

zakany

Reaction score
Relax. Just unplug your phone from your computer. Turn it off. Turn it on. Let it just boot normally and be patient while it does so.

Oh, and never try to root or install kernals and ROMs without a charged battery.

Also, from the OP:

If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
  1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
  2. Select DeviceId Options
  3. Select one of the two options available.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried out the new sprecovery .sbf file last night, and it would appear that USB Storage does not work on it. I was on a Windows 7 32 bit laptop that I use for everything, same usb port I always use, worked fine when I flashed the old ese81_sprecovery.sbf. Has anybody else had this issue?

EDIT: working fine now - see this post.

0chilly

Reaction score
There's an SBF file for bone stock 2.2. It wipes your phone clean though (other than SD card), but it's absolutely stock at that point. :)

Link

sorry for being such a pest, but which file on that page do i use, and ...dumb question inc... how is it flashed? lol. I assume with RSD Lite, right? And I'll have to boot into the recovery mode on the phone using dpad-up and not holding X (so I don't get into SPRecovery)?

The download page in the link above has
Stock System Files (FRG01B Odexed is ~64MB, no flashing method listed)
SBF Files (FRG01B is ~143MB, and says to flash using RSD Lite)
and OTA Updates

The SBF File FRG01B is the only one that has "VZW" in the name, so I assume this is the one I want to bring my phone back to full stock 2.2? Thanks again lol. I think I'll be installing a custom ROM tonight, as long as I know how to get back to stock woooo :)
:icon_ banana:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's an SBF file for bone stock 2.2. It wipes your phone clean though (other than SD card), but it's absolutely stock at that point. :)

Link

sorry for being such a pest, but which file on that page do i use, and ...dumb question inc... how is it flashed? lol. I assume with RSD Lite, right? And I'll have to boot into the recovery mode on the phone using dpad-up and not holding X (so I don't get into SPRecovery)?

The download page in the link above has
Stock System Files (FRG01B Odexed is ~64MB, no flashing method listed)
SBF Files (FRG01B is ~143MB, and says to flash using RSD Lite)
and OTA Updates

The SBF File FRG01B is the only one that has "VZW" in the name, so I assume this is the one I want to bring my phone back to full stock 2.2? Thanks again lol. I think I'll be installing a custom ROM tonight, as long as I know how to get back to stock woooo :)
:icon_ banana:

what file do you want? FRG01B is a 2.2 build number so it should be 2.2

it needs to be flashed with RSD lite (assuming you installed the proper drivers) - need to boot into the bootloader to use RSDlite

0chilly

Reaction score
I'm wondering which is the right file to bring me back to full stock 2.2, in one step if possible. the link to peteralfonso's website has 3 FRG01B files: a Stock System File (ROM), an SBF, and an OTA.

I think I want the SBF right? This does a full, complete restore of the phone to 2.2 is my understanding, and that's what I'm after. I don't know what the "Stock System File (ROM)" version does. I assume the OTA is just an incremental update, from 2.1 to 2.2.
:D

zakany

Reaction score
I tried out the new sprecovery .sbf file last night, and it would appear that USB Storage does not work on it

Dumb question: did you uncheck USB debug mode on your phone?

arthuruscg

Reaction score
I tried using the update.zip method to return to being uprooted. and now the home key does not work.

also the swipe to active the screen is gone (i am fine with that) and the options when the power key is pressed are gone.

My phone downloaded and i updated to 2.2, build FRG01B, baseband C_01.43.01P, Kernel V 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android_build@apa26 #1

What can i do to return my phone to an OEM verions of 2.2 or any earlier versions to allow for the 2.2 My phone is now unrooted. I would like to keep my text messages and apps.

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I tried using the update.zip method to return to being uprooted. and now the home key does not work.

also the swipe to active the screen is gone (i am fine with that) and the options when the power key is pressed are gone.

My phone downloaded and i updated to 2.2, build FRG01B, baseband C_01.43.01P, Kernel V 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android_build@apa26 #1

What can i do to return my phone to an OEM verions of 2.2 or any earlier versions to allow for the 2.2 My phone is now unrooted. I would like to keep my text messages and apps.

Thanks
You'll need to use a program called RSD Lite and a stock 2.0.1 or 2.1 or 2.2 SBF file to reset your phone.

Welcome to the forum, and we're sorry it's under such sad circumstances that you post to us.

This post will have all the information you need. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Thanks to Palantirion, skylordusa1, greeknasty, and 0chilly for testing out my new update.zip and procedures. Everyone was successful. I just need to make some tweaks to the documentation based upon feedback and I should be able to post all this tomorrow. It will be in its own topic and I'll put a post here linking to it.
Well, it is still technically "tomorrow", so even though I got it finished and posted later than planned, I consider it "on time". Unless you've ever written one of these monoliths you can't possibly imagine how long it takes. It takes 5 times longer to make the process user friendly and document it than it does to simply solve the technological issue to the point where my problem is fixed. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thanks to Palantirion, skylordusa1, greeknasty, and 0chilly for testing out my new update.zip and procedures. Everyone was successful. I just need to make some tweaks to the documentation based upon feedback and I should be able to post all this tomorrow. It will be in its own topic and I'll put a post here linking to it.
Well, it is still technically "tomorrow", so even though I got it finished and posted later than planned, I consider it "on time". Unless you've ever written one of these monoliths you can't possibly imagine how long it takes. It takes 5 times longer to make the process user friendly and document it than it does to simply solve the technological issue to the point where my problem is fixed. :)
I feel your pain. And then there's the constant tinkering to make sure it's current, etc.

THANK YOU!

kcallis

Reaction score
Can't get to boot menu...

After a long period of running BB, I thought it would be time to go for a new look. Liquid Forozen Yogurt was calling my name, so I thought a quick change of update.zip, and I would be good to go.

The first issue that I had was that rebooting with X pressed no longer worked. It would continue you to recycle until I released the X key, and then it would boot normally. Not a problem, I would use RSD and reload SPReovery and go that route. RSD would fail when I tried to load the 2.1 firmware in place.

So still running BB 0.4, still being harangued by the update to 2.2 from Verizon, and can't figure out how to get back SPRecovery to load my latest, greatest ROM... Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Relax. Just unplug your phone from your computer. Turn it off. Turn it on. Let it just boot normally and be patient while it does so.

Oh, and never try to root or install kernals and ROMs without a charged battery.

I did all that. and Yeh that battery information could have been helpful on the first post. :icon_evil:

thanks for nothing droidforums.