1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Flashing a ROM on a Droid 1 - Best Practices

Discussion in 'Rescue Squad Guides' started by guidot, Nov 7, 2010.

1. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Guide to SPRecovery

All,

This is my first attempt at writing a guide so helping me out with links and such will be helpful too.

MotoCache1 created a great guide on rooting a D1 running 2.2, however after I was done doing that I had to do more experimenting. I read so much on flashing, and whether to use ROM Manager or stick with SPRecovery, etc.

This guide will take over after the above rooting method has taken place. MotoCache1's method will leave you stock with SU, and BusyBox. These are the basics to having 'root' access. From here you should create a Nandroid backup in SPRecovery if you didn't after running the guide. This will give you a base to return to if something happens with your next ROM installation.

Steps:
    1. Power off your Droid.
    2. Slide open the keyboard.
    3. Hold the 'x' key down, then press the power key as you normally would to turn the device on.
    4. Continue holding the 'x' key until you are booted into SPRecovery.
    5. Slide the keyboard closed.
    6. Once there, using the volume key to move the selector up and down, select 'Backup/Restore'
    7. Select 'create simple nandroid backup' This will create a backup marked with the date for easy restoration.
    8. The progress bar will show up and complete in a minute or 2.
    9. Once it says complete you can then press the power button to return to the main menu.
    10. You can select 'reboot now'

Now you are back the home screen. Once you have decided on your ROM, download it (either using the PC or over WiFi on your Droid), and place it in the root of your SDcard and rename it update.zip. You can use a program on your Droid, such as Astro, or ES Explorer, or use your PC via USB cable. This is the same place you placed your update.zip using the MotoCache1 method. You will have to erase or rename the other update.zip.

At this time, you may wish to backup your apps and data. To do that you want to use a program like MyBackup Pro or Titanium Backup. This isn't something I will cover here.

Now you have the update.zip on the root of your sdcard, we will run through the procedure to flash your new ROM.

1. Power off your Droid.
    2. Slide open your keyboard.
    3. Hold 'x' button and press and hold power.
    4. Navigate to Wipe Cache. Select. Select Yes.
    5. Navigate to Wipe Data/Factory reset. Select. Volume down to select Yes.
    6. Select Install.
    7. Navigate to Allow Update.zip. Select. Screen will flicker for a moment, but nothing on screen will change.
    8. Navigate to Install Update.zip (deprecated).
    9. Back to main menu, using the power button.
    10. Reboot now.

Now on boot this should take a bit longer on the boot animation screen. The OS is getting everything squared away.
    Typically, when you feel the short vibration the install was successful and close to completion.

You should be back to your home screen in the new ROM!

From here you can go to the Market and load up Titanium backup. This is just my best practice here. Once you have downloaded TI or MyBackup, turn airplane mode on, so that you aren’t wasting processing power by loading your apps with TI while the Market is also trying to download them. Once you have the TI backups restored, turn airplane mode off.

If you haven't made it to your new ROM, which is unlikely if you've followed this so far, you can battery pull, reboot into recovery, reload your backup and re download the ROM. Sometimes they can be corrupt. Then follow the guide starting from the second section.

Guide to RZRecovery by GirLuvsDroid

Thanks to:
    teddyearp (RM Guide)
    GirLuvDroid (RZR Guide)
    MotoCache1 (Root)
    mwhartman (additions)
    Tallica (additions, Local props!)
    tp76 (being cool with my n00bness)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. guidot

Guide to ROM Manager by teddyearp
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

This should be a sticky IMO! What's the difference between "simple nandroid backup" and "advanced nandroid backup"? I've always done advanced.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)
  4. guidot

This is one of the things that I'm waiting for clarifications on.
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Good job. I added a few comments in blue. Hope they are helpful..

Mike
  6. guidot

They were. I added them except the simple/advanced comment. Simple saves everything that is marked with an asterisk when you select advanced. So advanced allows you to save more in the backup, but isn't necessary for the normal user.
  7. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Great guide guidot! The only possible change I see is step 10 when installing the Rom. Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think it's "install Rom" isn't it "install update.zip"?
    Haven't used SPR in a while though.
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Simple nandroid backup vs. advanced nandroid backup within SPRecovery:

Simple backup automatically backs up the boot (kernel), data, and system partitions of your phone (hence the "BDS" in the name) and does not allow you to make any type of custom name.

Advanced allows you to add some description to the name and you can manually select which partitions (or all) to backup. And again that will be reflected in the capital letters in the name of the backup.

Clear as mud? And pretty nice job guidot, hows about using the second post for ROM Manager, lol?

good luck
  9. guidot

Haha clear as mud.

I already talked to tp76 about cm. I don't use it but if you would like to write one up to add I will put it in the second post!!

dancedroid

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

I can try to whip something up tonight when I get home from work, unless someone else beats me to it.
  11. fdkatz

fdkatz New Member

Success

Thank you gentlemen for all your help. It took weeks to gain courage, but only a few days to finally root and flash a custom ROM. I have wowed my tech savvy daughter.
  12. mwhartman

Great and welcome to the dark side (rooted)!
  13. guidot

Excellent!

Did you find motocache's guide and my guide to be helpful?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  14. rlfitz

rlfitz New Member

motocaches guide worked great for me. I have been reading up on flashing a rom before trying it. I will be watching this thread with great interest.
    thanks..
  15. IHC

IHC New Member

Nice work!

How do you flash themes using SPRecovery,(say smoked glass for CM) is it the update.zip format also? I've only used clockwork.
  16. mwhartman

I installed RM so that I could help with rescue squad issues. However, I keep SPR flashed.
    Open RM scroll to the bottom and tap the Flash Alternate Recovery tab. This will switch to SPR.

Download the theme to your computer and rename to "update.zip" Make sure that there is only one ".zip" extension. Mount your phone to your computer. If there you have an update.zip file already on the SD card delete it or remane it then drag and drop the update.zip (theme you just renamed) to the root of your SD card.

Unmount, boot into recovery (press and hold "X" and power). Use the volume key to move up/down and select make/restore a backup, press the camera key, select make a advanced nandroid backup, press the camera key, select name the backup, press the camera key.

Open the sider and enter the name. When you are finished press the return key and select backup press camera

Select install do both the first will take a second the second (decepriated) a little longer.

use the power button to go back and select reboot

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  17. iTz Spence

iTz Spence New Member

Thanks alot!
    STICKYY
  18. JustisLewis

JustisLewis New Member

I have to ask, what's with the wipe data/cache three times thing? When you format it, everything is erased. Why does erasing three times do anything. I mean you can't get any emptier than empty lol
  19. guidot

You don't have to do it three times. Just once.

I'll edit that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

This post is actually a joke!

No guidot, you are totally wrong on this. Don't you know that there it is a very scientific and methodoligically proven fact that there is a formula that REQUIRES a certain amount of wrangling, data, cache, system, boot, and butt wipes? I don't have the link to it at this time, but it REALLY matters how many times you wipe your phone based on what rom you're coming from, what rom you're going to, and whether you're using rom manager, clockworkmod, SPRecovery, or even the latest experimental ZRRecovery.

Example, if you're coming from stock to UD, you have to wipe data 2x's, cache 3x's if you do so with SPRecovery, if you use Rom manager you wipe system 1x, cache 2x, data 3x and your butt once with your phone held just so in your right hand.:)

OK, In all seriousness, guidot is right. One wipe of data/cache is all you really need inbetween roms.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
Search tags for this page
droid 1 rom guides
flash droid 1

flash rom motorola droid

flash rom on motorola droid
flashing rom give bad zip
how to flash motorola droid 1
how to install a rom on droid 1
how to install custom rom on droid 1 from pc
how to install new rom on motorola droid
how to install rom on motorola droid