I followed these steps.

Download RSD Lite, the Motorola Drivers & the SPRecovery .sbf file:
RSD Lite 4.6: Download
Motorola 4.6.0 Phone Drivers:
Windows 32bit: Download
Windows 64bit: Download
SPRecovery: Download
Install RSD Lite.
Once RSD Lite is installed, install the Motorola phone drivers.
Plug in the Motorola Droid to the computer via USB cable.
Turn the Motorola Droid off while it is plugged in.
Turn on the Motorola Droid by holding down Power and Up on the D-pad on the phone.
Open the RSD Lite program by right clicking it and selecting Run As Administrator.
Click on the "..." button next to the filename box and select the .sbf file.
Once it is selected, hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing the phone.

Once I got here my Droid rebooted and now I get "Connect Your Charger" and "No Service". My battery icon is red. I am also unable to mount the SD.

Hoping I've not gotten into trouble here...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sounds like you just have a low battery. just plug it into the wall charger.

you didnt get any errors using RSDlite did you?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What were you running before you started? 2.2 OTA?

If so, the only way to root and get it to stick is link 3 in my sig

OP
S

SteveOSC

Reaction score
I was running Stock 2.2 OTA. My phone was pretty much stuck in a loop, booting up and powering off as it appeared to think the battery wasn't charged, which it was--90%, or I wouldn't have attempted it.

I finally just booted into recovery once when the phone powered off and there it was, SPRecovery. After some hesitation, I booted the phone into the factory defaults (I had backed up everything anyway, so why not...) and it came right back up, now on 2.1 BB. So I think the phone is rooted...

Not sure what caused the initial problem, unless there was something buggy with the Motorola drivers. I followed the instructions explicitly, and while new to rooting, I am not new to technology of any kind.

From this point I am tempted to download ROM manager to allow for a smoother install, but I'm not sure if I fully trust the backup process--and don't want to tempt fate with too many factory default restores. Doing that in my line of work is a shaky-finger experience. Anyone have any experience with that? Anything I should be looking for in my current version and build that might be a red flag?

At least 2.2 is gone. I wouldn't have gone this route if not for the jumble of bugs that 2.2 is.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As long as you have SPR you are good to go. You can select any Rom, D/L, move to root of sdcard, rename to update.zip, reboot recovery, Wipe Data/Cache x2 and install.

Droid621

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't too bad.

I followed these steps.

Download RSD Lite, the Motorola Drivers & the SPRecovery .sbf file:
RSD Lite 4.6: Download
Motorola 4.6.0 Phone Drivers:
Windows 32bit: Download
Windows 64bit: Download
SPRecovery: Download
Install RSD Lite.
Once RSD Lite is installed, install the Motorola phone drivers.
Plug in the Motorola Droid to the computer via USB cable.
Turn the Motorola Droid off while it is plugged in.
Turn on the Motorola Droid by holding down Power and Up on the D-pad on the phone.
Open the RSD Lite program by right clicking it and selecting Run As Administrator.
Click on the "..." button next to the filename box and select the .sbf file.
Once it is selected, hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing the phone.

Once I got here my Droid rebooted and now I get "Connect Your Charger" and "No Service". My battery icon is red. I am also unable to mount the SD.

Hoping I've not gotten into trouble here...

Same exact thing happened to me... I tried everything I could think of got frustrated... switched to my wifes Droid (she thought it was too big her loss my gain)... Went to the Verizon Store today and they are replacing my Droid 855 with a Droid2... no questions asked... Only downfall is no instant gratification of walking out with a new phone today...