Just got an OTA update to 5.6.893

scdown

Reaction score
I'm on straight stock right now, and when I go to System Updates, instead of telling me there's no update available, it shows the white "Checking for available update" screen until I back out.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm on straight stock right now, and when I go to System Updates, instead of telling me there's no update available, it shows the white "Checking for available update" screen until I back out.

You have to do this through the Cheesecake app after having the 5.5.893 update.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm....I am going to be following this thread. I am currently on Liberty 3 which I flashed on top of the 5.5.893 so I do have the newer kernal and radio....but I know I have none of the stock apps in Liberty....how could I get back to "stock" 893 should this prove beneficial?

haupman

Reaction score

Same problem here.

DoctorV

Reaction score
My dropped data issues have been getting progressively worse over the past three weeks and I was able to tolerate it but now it's getting to the point where I'm getting pretty annoyed :(

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I'm somewhat of an Android n00b (after spending 6+ years with Rim, the last outage pushed me over the edge). I got a Bionic two weeks ago, and can't understood what took me so long to make the switch .....

In regards to software updates with BB's, once they were released by RIM/VZW, I could update the device either OTA, or through the desktop manager program. I never had any problem updating it the same day an update was published. From what I can tell, Android does somewhat of a staged approach in pushing updates out, and there isn't any way to speed the process up.

Any indication how long this takes to push the updates once they 'officially' announce the update? I am running a stock rom, and do not have any intention or rooting the device. Can I side load the update from my desktop in the same way RIM allowed?

scdown

Reaction score
My dropped data issues have been getting progressively worse over the past three weeks and I was able to tolerate it but now it's getting to the point where I'm getting pretty annoyed :(

For me, my phone seems to want to do 3G in the office now - when I bought it I got solid 3-4 bar 4G connections. V tells me it's because I'm too close to the tower - nice. So now, when I arrive at the office every morning, I have to airplane mode toggle, because it will tell me I have 3 bars of 4G, but all apps show no network connection. When I leave, I have to do the same thing to get back to 4G.

I love the phone itself, but the network experience is horrible, and the firmware was CLEARLY rushed.

powerwagon

Reaction score
I'm somewhat of an Android n00b (after spending 6+ years with Rim, the last outage pushed me over the edge). I got a Bionic two weeks ago, and can't understood what took me so long to make the switch .....

In regards to software updates with BB's, once they were released by RIM/VZW, I could update the device either OTA, or through the desktop manager program. I never had any problem updating it the same day an update was published. From what I can tell, Android does somewhat of a staged approach in pushing updates out, and there isn't any way to speed the process up.

Any indication how long this takes to push the updates once they 'officially' announce the update? I am running a stock rom, and do not have any intention or rooting the device. Can I side load the update from my desktop in the same way RIM allowed?

Usually within a couple of weeks if not sooner. If you're not rooted you have to wait for the ota.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums