Just got an OTA update to 5.6.893

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I'm hoping this OTA update will resolve the data drop issues, as I'm getting tremendously frustrated. This is my second Bionic (stock, unrooted, no major apps) and it doesn't even work as well as my wife's X2!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I am on liberty, will I get the OTA?

Doubt it. I've installed both leaked OTA Updates and they required a totally stock system. Best I could tell all the blur apps had to be installed and there could be no modifications to things like the notification (clock, battery, etc.). There are easy ways to get back to stock if you don't have a virgin nandroid backup: R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2 - RootzWiki

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm hoping this OTA update will resolve the data drop issues, as I'm getting tremendously frustrated. This is my second Bionic (stock, unrooted, no major apps) and it doesn't even work as well as my wife's X2!

It solved my data issues. The only thing I have now is a "sometimes slight slow" 4G to 3G hand-off. Sometimes the hand-off is quick and smooth and other times it takes a minute or two. It has successfully completed the hand-off each time though.

No 3G data drop at all.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can the bionic still be rooted with this new update????? or should I root and than update

You must be rooted in order to get this "leaked" OTA. You should use the following link to apply the "Forever/43V3R" root. This will assure that root survives the update. R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2 - RootzWiki . You need to read up on this before you attempt it. It's easy to do, but there are steps that must be followed exactly or you will end up with issues. Here's a good link to start reading:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...erfect-bionic-cant-wait-update-heres-how.html

Good luck.

mikespe

Reaction score
After I updated mine to 5.6.893 I decided to check system updates one more time and I got 5.7.893...my webtop is now listed (doesn't say unavailable), it is SUPER FAST, the camera works much better, and data hands off MUCH faster even with Juice Defender running. I haven't checked the battery life without using Juice Defender so I will have to check it out one of these days. With Juiced Defender I take the phone off charge at 6am and when I go to bed around 11pm it's still between 25-35% depending on how much I use it (if I stream music at the gym, etc) ....Overall I am VERY happy with the update AND I'm still rooted!!

713King

Reaction score
ok i rooted now i am backing up, but before i update what roms are currently using the update? I rather ask here than make a thread lol. Also are they still working for on the hi jacking the kernel to be able and install Cyanogen Mod etc.

EDIT:
Before I flash any roms could I save my data on current apps like games? I don't want to start all over on some lol

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok i rooted now i am backing up, but before i update what roms are currently using the update? I rather ask here than make a thread lol. Also are they still working for on the hi jacking the kernel to be able and install Cyanogen Mod etc.

EDIT:
Before I flash any roms could I save my data on current apps like games? I don't want to start all over on some lol

I don't know which ones are. But the ones that are, are only using the "system" from the .893 update as the kernel and radio can only be changed via OTA by Motorola/Verizon. A rom can not change them.

713King

Reaction score
ah okay, I am flashing the update as am writing this. The roms will work with the .893 update right? Because I remember using roms on my Droid X and had nothing but issues with a rom instead of making the phone better.

Bmac397

Reaction score
I still don't have any updates available and im running version 5.5.886

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bill171

Reaction score
I still don't have any updates available and im running version 5.5.886

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

You have to flash them yourself, they are not really OTA, just leaks. If you read further back you should all the details.

bill171

Reaction score
I have 5.6.893 and so far I like it, I do have the unavailable webtop. I am a little worried about that as I do have the Lapdock. I will be trying it in a little bit and see if there is a problem.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm really torn on whether I should do this. Honestly I'd prefer to get the official update, but if it really is going to be another 1-2 months, then I don't know if the wait is worth it considering this is here. Does anyone have any BAD experiences with this? Has anyone had any of the issues come back? Does it seem like the data drop issue is resolved or just "better?" I really hardly experience it anymore, and when I do, it's mostly on borderline 3g/4g areas or in the boonies. Whenever I'm in downtown or metro-Atlanta I have consistent 4g at all times. But when I visit my dad up north I almost never have it.

I dunno, just super torn, thought I'd see if anyone else had any thoughts...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have 5.6.893 and so far I like it, I do have the unavailable webtop. I am a little worried about that as I do have the Lapdock. I will be trying it in a little bit and see if there is a problem.

From what I've read the webtop is fixed in the 5.7.893 leaked OTA.