Just got an OTA update to 5.6.893

wizard

Reaction score
it would appear that those who have received the ota update, have had their updates link switched to the leak string...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

You are correct. Just wish Mine would down load it. I get the message saying update available. Then I click download but it is stuck at 0% download and eats threw my battery. I need a Zip from the update so I can feed this beast.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I'm following p3's advice and staying in line for legit ota kernel/radio releases and just getting the ROM luvin til then, lol. Otherwise id try to get that zip for you Wiz...

wizard

Reaction score
I'm following p3's advice and staying in line for legit ota kernel/radio releases and just getting the ROM luvin til then, lol. Otherwise id try to get that zip for you Wiz...

Found both OTA updates as zip files on another site. TY

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
well that also set you back to base radio and kernel?

OP
GoBears

GoBears

Reaction score
I for one could not wait. I would have smashed this phone into little pieces. My phone was practically unusable. You know moto is watching these boards. They absolutely know, those of us with big problems are installing these leaks. They are getting free real world testing by watching the comments. I also don't mind testing it for them lol. They are not going to let us all hanging unable to update when the final OTA comes out. That's only my opinion of course.

GoBears

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Lol, threat didn't answer the question? Well that return the kernel back to stock?

OP
GoBears

GoBears

Reaction score
According to P3, the kernel and radio can not be returned to stock due to the locked bootloader.

GoBears

wizard

Reaction score
well that also set you back to base radio and kernel?

I don't know that it actually affected the Radio or Kernel (I would not think so seeing as it does not use the stock Restore {this is required to Kernel and radio mods}) What it does do is reset the system info (I do beleive this is what the OTA looks for to decide if you need the Update or not.) It allowed me to upgrade to 5.5.893 then run Th3orys Rom. Used the Th3ory fix to put me back to stock, Then upgraded back to 5.5.893 then up grade to 5.6.893 then run Th3orys rom again. Once the real OTA comes out I can run Th3orys fix again (Returning me to stock) Allowing me to once again to get the Real OTA without Cheesecake. then reload what ever Th3ory Rom we are up to at that point.

Hope that answers without Messing any one else up.

reitman1

Reaction score
Quick Question

Just had a quick question on the 5.6.893 update.

I have installed the 5.5.893 update on my phone with the new radio and kernel and have forever root. I've placed Theory's 2.0 Rom over the top of that.

I do see the 5.6.893 update when I check the staging server in the Cheesecake app.

My question is for those who have installed the 5.6.893 update, is it necessary to go all the way back to .866 and then reupgrade to 5.5.893 or is there a way for me to just flash back to stock 5.5.893?

Thank you for your help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just had a quick question on the 5.6.893 update.

I have installed the 5.5.893 update on my phone with the new radio and kernel and have forever root. I've placed Theory's 2.0 Rom over the top of that.

I do see the 5.6.893 update when I check the staging server in the Cheesecake app.

My question is for those who have installed the 5.6.893 update, is it necessary to go all the way back to .866 and then reupgrade to 5.5.893 or is there a way for me to just flash back to stock 5.5.893?

Thank you for your help.

It is my understanding that it looks for all the stock bloatware. If any is missing, the update will fail. It also, so I've read, will fail if there are any mods to such things as the notification bar (battery mod, etc.).

I just did the 5.6.893 update. The first thing I did was to restore a nandroid backup back to a Virgin 5.5.893 (totally stock backup). I made this backup right after I had updated to 5.5.893. It was rooted and I verified that it still had the For3v3r Root. I then followed the instructions from the point of installing Cheesecake. The update went well and root did survive it. I then restored my latest nandroid backup of my rom with theme over the top of 5.6.893. Life is good!

reitman1

Reaction score
It is my understanding that it looks for all the stock bloatware. If any is missing, the update will fail. It also, so I've read, will fail if there are any mods to such things as the notification bar (battery mod, etc.).

I just did the 5.6.893 update. The first thing I did was to restore a nandroid backup back to a Virgin 5.5.893 (totally stock backup). I made this backup right after I had updated to 5.5.893. It was rooted and I verified that it still had the For3v3r Root. I then followed the instructions from the point of installing Cheesecake. The update went well and root did survive it. I then restored my latest nandroid backup of my rom with theme over the top of 5.6.893. Life is good!

I'm not positive if I did a nandroid backup of my stock 5.5.893. I believe I only did a nandroid of my 866 right before doing the cheesecake update. Is there anyway to check what file system my nandroid backups are on without restoring them?

When you did restore, did you do a full wipe of your current system, or did you just restore over it?

Thanks again.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not positive if I did a nandroid backup of my stock 5.5.893. I believe I only did a nandroid of my 866 right before doing the cheesecake update. Is there anyway to check what file system my nandroid backups are on without restoring them?

When you did restore, did you do a full wipe of your current system, or did you just restore over it?

Thanks again.

I just did the restore - no wipes. I don't think there is a way to check before actually installing it.