Droid Bionic system update failure

DrPowercat

Reaction score
I bought a Droid Bionic last month for a third party and have been having problems with system updates. The seller is unresponsive (lesson learned ) and was wondering if anybody could tell me what the problem might be and even hopefully help me fix it.

The phone works, but when I try to do a system update to 5.5.893, it will download the file and then about one-third of the way through the install process, it stops, brings up a screen with an exclamation point inside and triangle and the android character, then reboots and tells me the update failed.

Through some internet research, I am suspicious the phone was rooted (does not appear to be now, though) and that some bloatware was removed. I am guessing when it tries to do the update, it looks for these files and when they are not found, it stops the update installation. I have no idea if this is a correct assumption, though, and I have no idea how to figure out what those files are and how to replace them.

I have removed the battery and tried doing a factory reset and then doing the update, but the same thing happens. I do have the extended battery in the phone, if that makes a difference, but I would not think it would.

My current system is:
5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US
Kernel version:
2.6.35.7-g68606e6
vwm736@il93lnxdroid43 #1
Build number:
5.5.1_84_DBN-55

Looking for any advise or help. Like I said, the phone does work and is light years better than what I had, but it is frustrating to not be able to do the updates and make it even better.

Thanks

mamawm

Reaction score
welcome to the forum, sorry about your problem. i don't have the answer for you, but maybe one of the really smart people from the bionic forum will be along really soon.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Hold down your volume buttons when you receive the triangle screen, this will show you the error. It is likely some system files are missing, if so i have the system dump that you can pull what you need from.

Post here what error is received.

Sent from my Rooted ICS'd VTAB1008 using DroidForums

huskur

Reaction score
Or at some point this phone had root installed. This problem is similar to one i had. What i did was SBF back to stock and took the update and had no issues at all.

Before you try that though i would do a factory reset and then try to accept the update. Give it a shot

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Yep this happened to mine too. For me it was Guided Tours 2.3.4. I uninstalled it using tibu and for whatever reason tibu couldn't restore it (it's necessary to take the update). I had to use rsdlite and the 886 fxz to restore everything back to stock, which isn't a big deal at all if you're rooted and backup your phone with tibu. I just flashed the fxz, rerooted, took the 902 update, restored from tibu, and my phone was back to normal and fully updated (settings, homescreen, apps all intact, like I had never flashed the fxz).
Everything you need is in a sticky here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
D

DrPowercat

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to get this problem solved using rsdlite and flashing the update to my phone. There is a lot of bloatware on it now that wasn't there
before, but at least it is all updated. Lesson learned.

opiffle

Reaction score
Same errors with error message

Hold down your volume buttons when you receive the triangle screen, this will show you the error. It is likely some system files are missing, if so i have the system dump that you can pull what you need from.

Post here what error is received.

Sent from my Rooted ICS'd VTAB1008 using DroidForums

I'm having the same problem with this error message:
apply patch check("/system/app/BackupAssistanceClient.apk" 5a8a0718bf2f6c6b8aef95e3924d2a235b9e2786","2a618406c87d1ec870fa6436a8be2ac95bd08656")E:Error in \cache/Blur_Version.5.5.886.xt875.verizon.en.us.zip
(Status7)

Any ideas?