[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

jwindevelopment

Reaction score
My problem is so silly. I have waited about 15 minutes and didn't get an email. Everything went fine, but no email. Confirmed the email address for my account with HTC and confirmed nothing in SPAM folder. Anybody else have this issue when doing this?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
For those (Windows users) with issues getting the SDK and JDK to install right or work right, or those that simply don't want to mess with it, there's a much easier way to have adb/fastboot commands available. To date (and I've been playing with HTC devices since the Inc1), I've seen no adverse consequences of using this instead of the entire SDK/JDK.

Simply download this .zip and extract it to where you want to (preferably easy access), and use that as your main "/tools" folder - i.e. where you put the .bin file, recovery .img files, etc. It contains 4 files of importance for adb/fastboot:

adb.exe
fastboot.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll

For now, ignore the nbimg.exe file in there... but in the future we'll hopefully be able to flash custom splash screens on the Rezound, and that file can be used to create your own with the right command line.

Mac/Smith - not trying to undercut you guys and all the hard (and awesome) work y'all have done, but this has saved me a lot of time over the years, in one of the bigger hurdles to people using adb/fastboot. If y'all see any problems with this, I'll take zero offense (and I'm serious) if you want to delete this or ignore this.

Good to know. I've put that same file up before...maybe even in this thread .... GMTA

spoikle

Reaction score
hello! im trying to root my rezound, but when i try to fastboot, i get a series of prompts saying that 5 "images" are missing. is that normal?

i accidentally tried to root using the zerg rush method before being HTC dev unlocked, and it turns out that the zerg rush that i ran wasnt compatible for my device anyway.... please help. thanks to everyone!

icon23a

Reaction score
cannot load Unlock_code.bin

ok new at all of this but did the whole process and when i go to unlock this is what i get :

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\HANSEN\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\f
astboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

now i have put the unlock file in same folder as fastboot. other than that i am completely lost...tried about ten times with the same message.:mad:

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok new at all of this but did the whole process and when i go to unlock this is what i get :

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\HANSEN\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\f
astboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

now i have put the unlock file in same folder as fastboot. other than that i am completely lost...tried about ten times with the same message.:mad:

have to be in that directory first before you can fastboot, so make sure you "cd" to that directory, then once there, run "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin."

to "cd" (change directory) run:

Code:
cd C:\Users\HANSEN\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\ [HIT THE ENTER KEY HERE]
[THEN YOU CAN RUN] fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

if you get an error doing the first step above, do "cd .." (two periods) and hit enter two to three times until your directory is just the root of C:/>

icon23a

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP...I sat here for two hours going nuts and thats all i had to do...thanks just waiting for phone to reboot and then on to some ROMS...:biggrin:

Ninjaneer

Reaction score
Can't get sdk to install

For those (Windows users) with issues getting the SDK and JDK to install right or work right, or those that simply don't want to mess with it, there's a much easier way to have adb/fastboot commands available. To date (and I've been playing with HTC devices since the Inc1), I've seen no adverse consequences of using this instead of the entire SDK/JDK.

Simply download this .zip and extract it to where you want to (preferably easy access), and use that as your main "/tools" folder - i.e. where you put the .bin file, recovery .img files, etc. It contains 4 files of importance for adb/fastboot:

adb.exe
fastboot.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll

For now, ignore the nbimg.exe file in there... but in the future we'll hopefully be able to flash custom splash screens on the Rezound, and that file can be used to create your own with the right command line.

Mac/Smith - not trying to undercut you guys and all the hard (and awesome) work y'all have done, but this has saved me a lot of time over the years, in one of the bigger hurdles to people using adb/fastboot. If y'all see any problems with this, I'll take zero offense (and I'm serious) if you want to delete this or ignore this.

Where did this file go? I've tried installing the jdk-7u4-windows-x64 driver for Windows 7 64-bit, but I can't get the sdk to install correctly. I've tried both files at Android SDK | Android Developers.

When I run the "installer_r18-windows application" it says "Java SE DEvelopment Kit (JDK) not found. Error: Failed to find Java version for 'C:\Windows\system32\java.exe': [2] The system cannot find the file specified." I even uninstalled all Java from Control Panel (including Java FX, which I think aren't part of this).

When I extracted the .zip and ran the sdk manager.exe, I see a command prompt window for a split second and it goes away. I can't even tell what's on it and I've run it over and over.

Any ideas?

trizzypballr

Reaction score
I believe my problem is the HTC drivers and HTC Sync. Where can I download and install that stuff at?

Also when i choose fastboot, do I then select reboot? or do I just let it sit on that screen?

HowardZ

Reaction score
ninja,

the Android SDK might require 32 bit java.

try installing both 64 and 32 bit java SDK

Howard

p.s. all you end up needing are a few files from the Android SDK. some people just distribute these files to save people the work. try hansoons all in one.

Ninjaneer

Reaction score
I googled hansoons android sdk and some other combinations, but couldn't find anything. But...htcdev.com changed the link to the Java download and it worked! It's been a while, but I knew the page looked different. The file I got before was jdk-7u4-windows-x64. This time I just clicked the big red download that appeared, thinking it was just Java for my browser, but after installing it (chromeinstall-7u5), the sdk installation worked. Now to finish the rest of the process...

stateofdenial

Reaction score
Help please, I know I have done something wrong but just cant figure out what. I type in the directory & fastboot, etc and the prompt window says waiting for phone. Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong? The phone was connected to my laptop and the phone was at the fastboot screen

Last edited:

PoWn3d_0704

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong...

I currently have the three needed files in a directory, I have Java on, and I have HTC Sync.
However, HTC Sync isn't seeing my phone, and when I attempt to do the 'fastboot oem get_identifier_token' it says that it is waiting for device. My phone is unable to see HTC Sync on my PC, too. HTC Sync is fully updated.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC sync needs to be stopped/turned off. Fastboot will not work with sync running on your PC whether or not it's seeing your phone.