[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound Development' started by macpro88, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

To clarify something, "fastboot oem lock" does not relock the phone to it's previous state. It technically relocks it, but it's not the same as the factory "out of the box" lock.

I said that like it was an FYI, but meant it more as a question... coming from the HTC Sensation (awesome phone, but back to a real carrier finally ;)), I'm very familiar with all this now, and I think that was the case with the Sensation, which is why I'm asking here.

But the ultimate question is can HTC tell the difference, b/c the main reason you'd do that is to unvoid the warranty and send it in... if I remember right, on the Sensation, it would not say "locked", but rather "re-locked" in hboot - making it clear it had been unlocked previously.
  2. macpro88

macpro88 DF Super Moderator

Yes, they can tell the difference cause the phone will say "RE-LOCKED" and not "LOCKED." To truly factory locked device, we need S-Off.... but depending on what is wrong with the phone, warranty will still be in place, just unlocking restricts the warranty even further. They can usually tell when someone went wrong because of the unlock or not.
  3. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

That would be correct. The phone will show "relocked" vs "locked" as it did in it's factory state. However HTC has gone on to say that unlocking the phone does void certain warranty situations vs the entire warranty.

The other and more pertinent part of the argument is that HTC will almost never see your phone again. Warranty support is provided by Verizon in which case you should return your handset to them, not HTC. Verizon(as most of us know) doesn't check for locked/unlocked/relocked status. At best they check whether or not the phone has been rooted/running a custom ROM.
  4. jntdroid

Thanks for the clarification!
  5. jntdroid

easier access to adb/fastboot commands

For those (Windows users) with issues getting the SDK and JDK to install right or work right, or those that simply don't want to mess with it, there's a much easier way to have adb/fastboot commands available. To date (and I've been playing with HTC devices since the Inc1), I've seen no adverse consequences of using this instead of the entire SDK/JDK.

Simply download this .zip and extract it to where you want to (preferably easy access), and use that as your main "/tools" folder - i.e. where you put the .bin file, recovery .img files, etc. It contains 4 files of importance for adb/fastboot:

adb.exe
    fastboot.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll

For now, ignore the nbimg.exe file in there... but in the future we'll hopefully be able to flash custom splash screens on the Rezound, and that file can be used to create your own with the right command line.

Mac/Smith - not trying to undercut you guys and all the hard (and awesome) work y'all have done, but this has saved me a lot of time over the years, in one of the bigger hurdles to people using adb/fastboot. If y'all see any problems with this, I'll take zero offense (and I'm serious) if you want to delete this or ignore this.
  6. jwindevelopment

jwindevelopment New Member

My problem is so silly. I have waited about 15 minutes and didn't get an email. Everything went fine, but no email. Confirmed the email address for my account with HTC and confirmed nothing in SPAM folder. Anybody else have this issue when doing this?
  7. jwindevelopment

jwindevelopment New Member

Did it 4 times in FireFox. 4th time got the email. Whatever.
  8. MrSmith317

Good to know. I've put that same file up before...maybe even in this thread .... GMTA
  9. spoikle

spoikle New Member

hello! im trying to root my rezound, but when i try to fastboot, i get a series of prompts saying that 5 "images" are missing. is that normal?

i accidentally tried to root using the zerg rush method before being HTC dev unlocked, and it turns out that the zerg rush that i ran wasnt compatible for my device anyway.... please help. thanks to everyone!
  10. icon23a

icon23a New Member

cannot load Unlock_code.bin

ok new at all of this but did the whole process and when i go to unlock this is what i get :

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\HANSEN\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\f
    astboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

now i have put the unlock file in same folder as fastboot. other than that i am completely lost...tried about ten times with the same message.:mad:
  11. macpro88

macpro88 DF Super Moderator

have to be in that directory first before you can fastboot, so make sure you "cd" to that directory, then once there, run "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin."

to "cd" (change directory) run:

Code:
    cd C:\Users\HANSEN\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\ [HIT THE ENTER KEY HERE]
    [THEN YOU CAN RUN] fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin
    if you get an error doing the first step above, do "cd .." (two periods) and hit enter two to three times until your directory is just the root of C:/>
  12. icon23a

icon23a New Member

HOLY CRAP...I sat here for two hours going nuts and thats all i had to do...thanks just waiting for phone to reboot and then on to some ROMS...:biggrin:
  13. Ninjaneer

Ninjaneer New Member

Can't get sdk to install

Where did this file go? I've tried installing the jdk-7u4-windows-x64 driver for Windows 7 64-bit, but I can't get the sdk to install correctly. I've tried both files at Android SDK | Android Developers.

When I run the "installer_r18-windows application" it says "Java SE DEvelopment Kit (JDK) not found. Error: Failed to find Java version for 'C:\Windows\system32\java.exe': [2] The system cannot find the file specified." I even uninstalled all Java from Control Panel (including Java FX, which I think aren't part of this).

When I extracted the .zip and ran the sdk manager.exe, I see a command prompt window for a split second and it goes away. I can't even tell what's on it and I've run it over and over.

Any ideas?
  14. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

I believe my problem is the HTC drivers and HTC Sync. Where can I download and install that stuff at?

Also when i choose fastboot, do I then select reboot? or do I just let it sit on that screen?
  15. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

ninja,

the Android SDK might require 32 bit java.

try installing both 64 and 32 bit java SDK

Howard

p.s. all you end up needing are a few files from the Android SDK. some people just distribute these files to save people the work. try hansoons all in one.
  16. Ninjaneer

Ninjaneer New Member

I googled hansoons android sdk and some other combinations, but couldn't find anything. But...htcdev.com changed the link to the Java download and it worked! It's been a while, but I knew the page looked different. The file I got before was jdk-7u4-windows-x64. This time I just clicked the big red download that appeared, thinking it was just Java for my browser, but after installing it (chromeinstall-7u5), the sdk installation worked. Now to finish the rest of the process...
  17. MrSmith317

18. stateofdenial

stateofdenial New Member

Help please, I know I have done something wrong but just cant figure out what. I type in the directory & fastboot, etc and the prompt window says waiting for phone. Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong? The phone was connected to my laptop and the phone was at the fastboot screen
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  19. PoWn3d_0704

PoWn3d_0704 New Member

Correct me if I am wrong...

I currently have the three needed files in a directory, I have Java on, and I have HTC Sync.
    However, HTC Sync isn't seeing my phone, and when I attempt to do the 'fastboot oem get_identifier_token' it says that it is waiting for device. My phone is unable to see HTC Sync on my PC, too. HTC Sync is fully updated.
  20. MrSmith317

HTC sync needs to be stopped/turned off. Fastboot will not work with sync running on your PC whether or not it's seeing your phone.
Search tags for this page
how to unlock bootloader htc rezound

how to unlock htc rezound

how to unlock htc rezound bootloader
htc rezound bootloader
htc rezound bootloader unlock
htc rezound drivers
htc rezound unlock
unlock bootloader htc rezound
unlock bootloader rezound

unlock htc rezound

unlock htc rezound bootloader