[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

ram313

Reaction score
I had my Rezound unlocked when I had GB. I needed to lock it to get ICS update. I like the ICS update, but I can't unlock my phone the way I did when I had GB. Can someone walk this knuckle-dragging oaf through this and help me unlock ICS? My goal is to wifi tether w/o paying Verizon since I still have the unlimited data plan.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had my Rezound unlocked when I had GB. I needed to lock it to get ICS update. I like the ICS update, but I can't unlock my phone the way I did when I had GB. Can someone walk this knuckle-dragging oaf through this and help me unlock ICS? My goal is to wifi tether w/o paying Verizon since I still have the unlimited data plan.

It's the exact same procedure but you can skip to the "fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin"

Taco

Reaction score
Htcdev gives step by step directions on the site.

Sent from my stock rooted ICS Rezound using Droid Forums!

ram313

Reaction score
Ok. I guess having previously unlocking my phone and relocking it to upgrade to ICS is limiting me. Either that or I'm as dumb as I'm sounding. Feel free to mock me and call me a dumb noob, just as long as I get you get me the answer. dancedroid

Last edited:

TomAJohnson

Reaction score
The instructions over at HTC warn that all personal data will be lost if you unlock the boot loader. I don't want that to happen. In TheUnlockr.com's instructions, the Amon Ra backup procedure does not take place until the bootloader is unlocked. Please advise.

Mr Fett

Reaction score
I can't get past the "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" step. It's the "waiting for device" problem.

I have the fastboot on, usb debugging on, the proper drivers and I've tried it with HTC Sync installed and uninstalled (just sync, not the htc drivers). The PC and phone have been rebooted numerous times. No luck. Any ideas??

Bpowder33

Reaction score
The instructions over at HTC warn that all personal data will be lost if you unlock the boot loader. I don't want that to happen. In TheUnlockr.com's instructions, the Amon Ra backup procedure does not take place until the bootloader is unlocked. Please advise.

It's inevitable to lose most of your data. The good news is once you unlock and root and get everything set back up you can use apps like titanium backup and never have this problem again.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I can't get past the "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" step. It's the "waiting for device" problem.

I have the fastboot on, usb debugging on, the proper drivers and I've tried it with HTC Sync installed and uninstalled (just sync, not the htc drivers). The PC and phone have been rebooted numerous times. No luck. Any ideas??

Make sure htc sync is uninstalled. When you powered into bootloader you selected fastboot before running command?

Last edited:

bleigh1326

Reaction score
Help!

I really need help with CMD. I have no idea how to type it in and I've tried everything! I put all of my files into a folder named 'Root' and it's in My Documents. Please if someone could help me with how to type it into Command Prompt it would be greatly appreciated! :happy3:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I really need help with CMD. I have no idea how to type it in and I've tried everything! I put all of my files into a folder named 'Root' and it's in My Documents. Please if someone could help me with how to type it into Command Prompt it would be greatly appreciated! :happy3:

Command prompt gets easier as you use it. So if you're on win7 or win8 your "My Documents" is in c:\users\<your username>\documents so to get there you would type "cd \users\<your username>\documents" obviously exchanging "your username" for your actual username. If you look at the tutorial in my sig you'll see some examples of what you'll need to do.

bleigh1326

Reaction score
it won't let me open the file i need though. I'm on step 7 which says:
Step 7

Navigate to where you unzipped the ZIP file and go to the folder you just created (For Example: If you created the folder in C:\Android, then you would type in Command Prompt: cd c:\Android).
The folder I created was named Root.

This is Step 8 and what it's supposed to look like:
Type in Command Prompt: fastboot oem get_identifier_token.

http://www.htcdev.com/images/uploads/bootloader/step8.png
(just copy and paste this in the address bar)

This picture is like steps 7 and 8 together.

Anyway in the end it's supposed to give me this long list of numbers and letters and it's my token to unlock my bootloader. Since my folder is named Root that's what I've been typing
in in place of Android but the message I keep getting says: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." What I type in looks the exact same except mine says
Root where the example says Android and mine doesn't say Admin it says my name. Please help and I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I tried to explain as best as I could haha :biggrin:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
it won't let me open the file i need though. I'm on step 7 which says:
Step 7

Navigate to where you unzipped the ZIP file and go to the folder you just created (For Example: If you created the folder in C:\Android, then you would type in Command Prompt: cd c:\Android).
The folder I created was named Root.

This is Step 8 and what it's supposed to look like:
Type in Command Prompt: fastboot oem get_identifier_token.

http://www.htcdev.com/images/uploads/bootloader/step8.png
(just copy and paste this in the address bar)

This picture is like steps 7 and 8 together.

Anyway in the end it's supposed to give me this long list of numbers and letters and it's my token to unlock my bootloader. Since my folder is named Root that's what I've been typing
in in place of Android but the message I keep getting says: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." What I type in looks the exact same except mine says
Root where the example says Android and mine doesn't say Admin it says my name. Please help and I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I tried to explain as best as I could haha :biggrin:

You're more than likely not getting the full path. Try this, open windows explorer to your "root" folder. Copy the address from the address bar at the top and paste it into your command prompt. So after "cd " paste in the address from windows explorer. That should help a bit.

amschmid

Reaction score
I'm stuck on the step where you enter "fastboot oem get_identifier_token". I'm having the issue where it just says "waiting for device" and nothing happens.

I've seen other responses mention having the drivers installed. I should. I've been following directions from "The Unlocker," which sent me here to unlock the bootloader. Installing the drivers was part of the previous step detailed here: How To Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices (Updated 12/13/11) - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr
I had to use PDAnet to install the drivers, but I was able to get a serial number, supposedly verifying that the drivers are installed.

Other responses to this issue have also mentioned HTC Sync, but I'm confused about that. Some say it needs to be uninstalled or disabled, but the directions said it does need to be installed. I though it was part of the drivers step, so now I'm not even sure if I have it installed. I have tried this step with and without the phone set to "HTC sync" as its default for USB connection. Does it need to be installed? How do I know if it is installed?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck on the step where you enter "fastboot oem get_identifier_token". I'm having the issue where it just says "waiting for device" and nothing happens.

I've seen other responses mention having the drivers installed. I should. I've been following directions from "The Unlocker," which sent me here to unlock the bootloader. Installing the drivers was part of the previous step detailed here: How To Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices (Updated 12/13/11) - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr
I had to use PDAnet to install the drivers, but I was able to get a serial number, supposedly verifying that the drivers are installed.

Other responses to this issue have also mentioned HTC Sync, but I'm confused about that. Some say it needs to be uninstalled or disabled, but the directions said it does need to be installed. I though it was part of the drivers step, so now I'm not even sure if I have it installed. I have tried this step with and without the phone set to "HTC sync" as its default for USB connection. Does it need to be installed? How do I know if it is installed?

The easiest way to deal with drivers is to install HTC sync. Then when sync is installed, go to the sync icon in your system tray, right click it and choose exit. You want the phone set to charge only when you perform these operations however it doesn't matter because your phone should be in the bootloader when you do this. Not booted into Android. So make sure you power down your phone(pull the batter), put the battery back in and hold power + vol down to get into the bootloader. Then connect your phone to your PC.

bleigh1326

Reaction score
Nevermind I figured it out. I found a tutorial on Youtube for it. All I had to do was type. In cd C:\Android Which brought up another line and then I had. To type in the whole get_token thingy and. It gave me my token :) Thanks for all of your help though :)