[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

amschmid

Reaction score
The easiest way to deal with drivers is to install HTC sync. Then when sync is installed, go to the sync icon in your system tray, right click it and choose exit. You want the phone set to charge only when you perform these operations however it doesn't matter because your phone should be in the bootloader when you do this. Not booted into Android. So make sure you power down your phone(pull the batter), put the battery back in and hold power + vol down to get into the bootloader. Then connect your phone to your PC.

I'm still stuck. I tried installing HTC Sync as you suggested, but I'm having the same issue. When I opened up a command prompt in the platform tools folder, I could quickly pull up the S/N with the phone booted normally (in USB debugging mode). Adirected, I then disconnected the phone, pulled and re-inserted the battery, booted into the bootloader, reconnected the phone USB, then finally selected fastboot. Once there I entered the command to get the identifier token and it just said "waiting for device" for at least 5, maybe 10, minutes. I've attached a screenshot if it will help.

What's my next step?

bleigh1326

Reaction score
Okay can someone please help me! I'm on the last little bit of directions on how to root my phone and i don't know what to do ! this is the entire page i've been referring to::::

<<<<First, unlock your bootloader at Welcome to HTCdev

Download this file: rhymeroot - Download - 4shared - Andrew Dos Santos
Then unzip the file to any folder, then run the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery htc_rhyme_vzw_unofficial_clockworkmod_recovery_v5. 0.2.8.img

adb shell mount /system
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
Reboot to system and you should be rooted! Stock recovery is included in the zip in case something goes wrong with flashing CWM. Enjoy!>>>>

I've done everything so far but I'm stuck on the part where I'm supposed to "run the following commands". I have ran the ones that would let me the second one it told me to run opened up a page where i was supposed to burn it to a disk...? the others can't open so they take me to a page where i have to choose a file to open it with and i used B1 Free Archiver which is what was suggested for me to use while opening to file with everything in it. I can't find the adb files. I do have a filed named superuser and one that says su but they don't just 'run'. Can someone help me as to how I'm supposed to run these files ?? Please!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still stuck. I tried installing HTC Sync as you suggested, but I'm having the same issue. When I opened up a command prompt in the platform tools folder, I could quickly pull up the S/N with the phone booted normally (in USB debugging mode). Adirected, I then disconnected the phone, pulled and re-inserted the battery, booted into the bootloader, reconnected the phone USB, then finally selected fastboot. Once there I entered the command to get the identifier token and it just said "waiting for device" for at least 5, maybe 10, minutes. I've attached a screenshot if it will help.

What's my next step?

Did you stop/uninstall/turn off HTC Sync on your PC?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay can someone please help me! I'm on the last little bit of directions on how to root my phone and i don't know what to do ! this is the entire page i've been referring to::::

<<<<First, unlock your bootloader at Welcome to HTCdev

Download this file: rhymeroot - Download - 4shared - Andrew Dos Santos
Then unzip the file to any folder, then run the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery htc_rhyme_vzw_unofficial_clockworkmod_recovery_v5. 0.2.8.img

adb shell mount /system
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
Reboot to system and you should be rooted! Stock recovery is included in the zip in case something goes wrong with flashing CWM. Enjoy!>>>>

I've done everything so far but I'm stuck on the part where I'm supposed to "run the following commands". I have ran the ones that would let me the second one it told me to run opened up a page where i was supposed to burn it to a disk...? the others can't open so they take me to a page where i have to choose a file to open it with and i used B1 Free Archiver which is what was suggested for me to use while opening to file with everything in it. I can't find the adb files. I do have a filed named superuser and one that says su but they don't just 'run'. Can someone help me as to how I'm supposed to run these files ?? Please!

Did you do the first step to unlock the bootloader? If so unless you have an HTC rhyme I'd ignore the rest and try the guide in my sig for rooting.

bleigh1326

Reaction score
I did unlock bootloader but I also have an HTC Rhyme haha so what should I do??

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. As suggested, I installed HTC Sync for the drivers, but then closed it from the task bar.

Ok, just trying to be thorough. Check your process list(right click the task bar and start task manager), look for htcsync. Make sure it's dead.

amschmid

Reaction score
Ok, just trying to be thorough. Check your process list(right click the task bar and start task manager), look for htcsync. Make sure it's dead.

I understand being thorough. I checked the process list and it wasn't there. Just for the heck of it, I uninstalled HTC Sync. I did the serial number test again and it still passed, but I still get the "waiting for device" message when I put in bootloader and try to get the identifier token.

amschmid

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty frustrated that I can't get the identifier token. I still get stuck on "waiting for device."

I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of the SDK downloaded from google. I've followed these instructions, the one on HTCdev website, and another that put the specific files need in their own folder. In every case, when I open a command prompt in the "platform tools" folder (or the specific folder with the files in it), I can get the serial number when the phone is booted normally (in USB debugging mode), but I can't get the identifier token in fastboot.

I have learned that the command "fastboot devices" should give me the serial number while in fastboot, just as "adb devices" does while the phone is booted normally. This isn't working either. It just bring up a new command line. So I'm guessing something is wrong with fastboot, even though I've downloaded at least 3 different copies to 3 different folders and it happens for each.

I've rebooted the computer several times. I've used different USB ports. I originally installed the drivers using PDA net. I've since uninstalled PDAnet, installed HTC Sync, exited it from the system tray, uninstalled it, re-installed it, and closed it again. No luck. I've tried disabling the antivirus software and the firewall built into windows 8.

What should I try next?

jrredho

Reaction score
Oh for Pete's sake!

I was dicking around with a kernel update file for my S-on, stock ICS Rezound, when the OTA update thing happened---maybe mid-stream in things. It totally screwed up my wifi.

So I did a Factory Reset, then loaded the latest (from last August) RUU zip file I got from Android Police via the bootloader. Of course I checked the md5sum on the zip file and re-locked the bootloader prior to doing that load.

Now, for the life of me, I cannot re-unlock the bootloader. I get stuck at the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin " waiting for the flash to happen. Nothing happens. Any other fastboot command I try works just fine, such as devices, or reboot, but *NOT* the flash. It hangs.

Finally, I used both the original Unlock_code.bin in the fastboot flash unlocktoken command, as well as a newly generated one (it was identical to the original one) that I got by going through the htcdev unlock process again.

I've exhausted all the options I can think of, so I'm reaching out to you pros.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
john

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh for Pete's sake!

I was dicking around with a kernel update file for my S-on, stock ICS Rezound, when the OTA update thing happened---maybe mid-stream in things. It totally screwed up my wifi.

So I did a Factory Reset, then loaded the latest (from last August) RUU zip file I got from Android Police via the bootloader. Of course I checked the md5sum on the zip file and re-locked the bootloader prior to doing that load.

Now, for the life of me, I cannot re-unlock the bootloader. I get stuck at the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin " waiting for the flash to happen. Nothing happens. Any other fastboot command I try works just fine, such as devices, or reboot, but *NOT* the flash. It hangs.

Finally, I used both the original Unlock_code.bin in the fastboot flash unlocktoken command, as well as a newly generated one (it was identical to the original one) that I got by going through the htcdev unlock process again.

I've exhausted all the options I can think of, so I'm reaching out to you pros.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
john

Here are two things to try:

1) re-flash the RUU. It should always be flashed twice.

2) This might sound dumb, but try a different computer.

jrredho

Reaction score
Hey Mr. Smith, Thanks so much for your suggestions...
Here are two things to try: 1) re-flash the RUU. It should always be flashed twice. 2) This might sound dumb, but try a different computer.
...of course I'll give number 1 a try this evening. I've already tried your second suggestion, so that cannot be it. In fact, I've probably re-flashed the RUU zip about 5 times in the past several days, but I don't think I thought about doing it twice one right after the other. Fwiw, it seems almost like I cannot write to the unlocktoken partition of my bootloader; like it's a permissions thing. I'll get back to you when I've done the business this evening. cheers, john

jrredho

Reaction score
Here are two things to try:

1) re-flash the RUU. It should always be flashed twice.

2) This might sound dumb, but try a different computer.

Well, Mr. Smith, I can now say definitively that I've done both of these. In fact, I went ahead and
re-flashed 4 times, one after another. I also grabbed my other computer to do the flash. (Both
computers that I've tried flashing with are running Ubuntu (11.10) Linux)

It's still a no-go.

Somehow, I've messed with something and my phone is now disallowing writes to the bootloader
unlocktoken partition.

I'm certainly keen on listening to other ideas... :)

many thanks,
john

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Smith, I can now say definitively that I've done both of these. In fact, I went ahead and
re-flashed 4 times, one after another. I also grabbed my other computer to do the flash. (Both
computers that I've tried flashing with are running Ubuntu (11.10) Linux)

It's still a no-go.

Somehow, I've messed with something and my phone is now disallowing writes to the bootloader
unlocktoken partition.

I'm certainly keen on listening to other ideas... :)

many thanks,
john

I'm going to assume there's no way to try from a Windows PC? There's no good reason for it not to work from Ubuntu because that's how I originally unlocked and rooted my phone but just throwing it out there as an option. I can't really think of anything else other than trying to get an exchange(if you can)from Verizon.