[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

anewday

Reaction score
What happens when you relock the bootloader when there's already a custom rom/kernel installed? My friend needs to get his phone replaced and wants to relock it and go back to the stock rom/kernel. Where can I find the stock rom and kernel? Thanks.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happens when you relock the bootloader when there's already a custom rom/kernel installed? My friend needs to get his phone replaced and wants to relock it and go back to the stock rom/kernel. Where can I find the stock rom and kernel? Thanks.

You can RUU back to stock (Rom Update Utility). You can find them here: [ROM]Vigor Shipped ROM Collection - xda-developers

You must relock the bootloader first, the phone should still boot just fine, but you can run the RUU from fastboot if you want.

This is a Windows application, run the .exe and its pretty much step by step

blulew77

Reaction score
This was taken straight from here, over at xda-developers, where "xjedi" wrote up this nice write up for unlocking on a Mac

After doing all of the above, and getting my Unlock_code.bin file, I get an error: error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'
Over and over and over. fastboot, adb, and Unlock_code.bin are all in the same directory. I have checked the spelling a couple dozen times. I am stuck. I have a Mac, running OS X 10.7.3

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you copy/paste the exact command line and output? Also your phone should be in HBOOT and you should see "Fastboot USB" on the screen.

blulew77

Reaction score
Ernest-Phillipss-iMac:~ ernestphillips$ Desktop/unlock/fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'

Ernest-Phillipss-iMac:~ ernestphillips$

Phone is in Hboot, and I see FASTBOOT USB

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Got it. You're calling fastboot from another directory: Desktop/unlock/fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
cd into Desktop/unlock first
then use the command "./
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin "

blulew77

Reaction score
Not sure that I understand what was done incorrectly. When I cd to parent directory: -bash: /Users/ernestphillips/Desktop/unlock: is a directory
When I enter " ./fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" I get:"-bash: ./fastboot: No such file or directory"

When I enter:"Desktop/unlock/./fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" I get:" error: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'"

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to "cd /Users/ernestphillips/Desktop/unlock" then do "./fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin"

The problem was that you're executing your command from a separate directory. The problem could also be corrected by supplying the path to Unlock_code.bin like this:
"
Desktop/unlock/fastboot flash unlocktoken /Users/ernestphillips/Desktop/unlock/Unlock_code.bin"

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
To clarify something, "fastboot oem lock" does not relock the phone to it's previous state. It technically relocks it, but it's not the same as the factory "out of the box" lock.

I said that like it was an FYI, but meant it more as a question... coming from the HTC Sensation (awesome phone, but back to a real carrier finally ;)), I'm very familiar with all this now, and I think that was the case with the Sensation, which is why I'm asking here.

But the ultimate question is can HTC tell the difference, b/c the main reason you'd do that is to unvoid the warranty and send it in... if I remember right, on the Sensation, it would not say "locked", but rather "re-locked" in hboot - making it clear it had been unlocked previously.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To clarify something, "fastboot oem lock" does not relock the phone to it's previous state. It technically relocks it, but it's not the same as the factory "out of the box" lock.

I said that like it was an FYI, but meant it more as a question... coming from the HTC Sensation (awesome phone, but back to a real carrier finally ;)), I'm very familiar with all this now, and I think that was the case with the Sensation, which is why I'm asking here.

But the ultimate question is can HTC tell the difference, b/c the main reason you'd do that is to unvoid the warranty and send it in... if I remember right, on the Sensation, it would not say "locked", but rather "re-locked" in hboot - making it clear it had been unlocked previously.

Yes, they can tell the difference cause the phone will say "RE-LOCKED" and not "LOCKED." To truly factory locked device, we need S-Off.... but depending on what is wrong with the phone, warranty will still be in place, just unlocking restricts the warranty even further. They can usually tell when someone went wrong because of the unlock or not.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

That would be correct. The phone will show "relocked" vs "locked" as it did in it's factory state. However HTC has gone on to say that unlocking the phone does void certain warranty situations vs the entire warranty.

The other and more pertinent part of the argument is that HTC will almost never see your phone again. Warranty support is provided by Verizon in which case you should return your handset to them, not HTC. Verizon(as most of us know) doesn't check for locked/unlocked/relocked status. At best they check whether or not the phone has been rooted/running a custom ROM.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
easier access to adb/fastboot commands

For those (Windows users) with issues getting the SDK and JDK to install right or work right, or those that simply don't want to mess with it, there's a much easier way to have adb/fastboot commands available. To date (and I've been playing with HTC devices since the Inc1), I've seen no adverse consequences of using this instead of the entire SDK/JDK.

Simply download this .zip and extract it to where you want to (preferably easy access), and use that as your main "/tools" folder - i.e. where you put the .bin file, recovery .img files, etc. It contains 4 files of importance for adb/fastboot:

adb.exe
fastboot.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll

For now, ignore the nbimg.exe file in there... but in the future we'll hopefully be able to flash custom splash screens on the Rezound, and that file can be used to create your own with the right command line.

Mac/Smith - not trying to undercut you guys and all the hard (and awesome) work y'all have done, but this has saved me a lot of time over the years, in one of the bigger hurdles to people using adb/fastboot. If y'all see any problems with this, I'll take zero offense (and I'm serious) if you want to delete this or ignore this.