Easy Root, one-click root for DROID 1 and DROID X, works as intended

suliman

Reaction score
oops found out i needed to sign up for google checkout nvm.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
NOTICE FOR ALL NEW ROOTERS LOOKING TO USE ONE OF THE OVERCLOCK KERNELS:

First off, you must be aware that overclocking your Droid could cause damage to your phone. Every droid is different -- some will go to 1.3Ghz, some won't go above 800Mhz, and a very unlucky few might not be able to push their phones past 600Mhz. With that in mind, if you still want to try, start slowly and work your way up.

DIFFERENT KERNELS HAVE DIFFERENT VOLTAGES AND OTHER FEATURES.

For example, P3Droid has kernels that clock as low as 125Mhz and otherwise-identical kernels that only go down to 250Mhz. The reason for this is poor performance under 2.1 that was fixed for 2.2. Pick whichever ones you want based on that.

ChevyNo1 has Ultra-Low-Voltage, Low-Voltage, and Standard-Voltage kernels with a plethora of features built in. Ultra-Low-Voltage kernels use less juice to push your phone's CPU faster, ultimately saving you some of the battery life you're sacrificing by running it so fast. Not all phones can handle the ULV or even the LV kernels common to overclocking on the Droid, and some phones will run very poorly on some kernels. The trick is experimenting.

There are so many kernels out there you should be able to find one that works with your phone... But there's no guarantee your phone will be able to go that fast.

The most common problem faced by overclockers is stability or the dreaded bootloop. If you get locked in a bootloop pull the battery, put it back in, hold down X on the keyboard, then power the phone back up so you can boot into recovery and reinstall the nandroid backup you made prior to installing the new kernel.

You did remember to make a nandroid backup before you installed the new kernel, didn't you?

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH IN ANY KERNEL, ROM, THEME, ETC.

I think that one's self-explanatory.

Consider reading http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html for more detail on tweaking SetCPU settings.

Good luck!

thehirsches

Reaction score
I used this today and it rooted on my second attempt. It was worth the $1. Now to figure out what the heck I can do with a rooted phone other than kill ads and tether.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I used this today and it rooted on my second attempt. It was worth the $1. Now to figure out what the heck I can do with a rooted phone other than kill ads and tether.
Overclock, theme, flash ROMs for better features, speed, etc.

You know, basically anything your phone is capable of. Congrats on taking the training wheels off. :)

thehirsches

Reaction score

You know, basically anything your phone is capable of. Congrats on taking the training wheels off. :)

Let me wobble a bit...
I have no idea how to do all the ROM flashing and such and the millions of pages are a bit daunting. A "dummies guide to getting the most out of a rooted droid" would be a God send.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Let me wobble a bit...
I have no idea how to do all the ROM flashing and such and the millions of pages are a bit daunting. A "dummies guide to getting the most out of a rooted droid" would be a God send.
Okay, let me add steps one, two, and three.

1: Get ClockworkMOD from the market, flash in Clockwork Recovery or SPRecovery (not required if you rooted manually and already have SPRecovery), or use the popular RSDLite (access to a Windows PC required) to flash SPRecovery onto your phone.
2: Make a nandroid backup. At some point you'll want to copy this to your PC for emergency purposes.
3: Decide what you want from your now-rooted Droid.

3a:If it's themes, check out Black Glass by 928Droid as a first stop. It's potentially the most "themed" theme of them all. (Opinion, please do not flame). It's a good starting point in part because it's so complete for so many ROMs, including stock.
3b:If it's overclocking, for the love of all that's holy, unholy, profane, sacrosanct, defiled, reviled, beloved, consecrated, cursed, blessed, and peanuts, be careful! Every kernel is different, every Droid is different, and every experience will be different. Taken from another post I made earlier:

For example, P3Droid has kernels that clock as low as 125Mhz and otherwise-identical kernels that only go down to 250Mhz. The reason for this is poor performance under 2.1 that was fixed for 2.2. Pick whichever ones you want based on that.

ChevyNo1 has Ultra-Low-Voltage, Low-Voltage, and Standard-Voltage kernels with a plethora of features built in. Ultra-Low-Voltage kernels use less juice to push your phone's CPU faster, ultimately saving you some of the battery life you're sacrificing by running it so fast. Not all phones can handle the ULV or even the LV kernels common to overclocking on the Droid, and some phones will run very poorly on some kernels. The trick is experimenting.

There are so many kernels out there you should be able to find one that works with your phone... But there's no guarantee your phone will be able to go that fast.

The most common problem faced by overclockers is stability or the dreaded bootloop. If you get locked in a bootloop pull the battery, put it back in, hold down X on the keyboard, then power the phone back up so you can boot into recovery and reinstall the nandroid backup you made prior to installing the new kernel.

You did remember to make a nandroid backup before you installed the new kernel, didn't you?

3c: Tethering. If you are at all interested in tethering, especially WiFi tethering, rooting is the only way to get it on the Droid. Go to the market and download one of the two apps (or pay for a donation version) and test it, or go straight to the horse's mouth and download the .apk from android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code and give it a whirl. If you EVER plan to USB tether, either use the included option (which may redirect you to a Verizon page asking for money), or download the .apk from the link in my signature.

There's a lot more, like changing options you can only get in certain ROMs, Titanium Backup, the terminal emulator, etc, but these are the three basic and probably most-used root-only functions.

If you have any questions, please ask, as I didn't do a step-by-step, just a general guideline. :)

PLEASE MAKE NANDROID BACKUPS BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING IN!

rjax

Reaction score
Does the backup option in ROM Manager produce Nandroid backups, or the equivalent thereof? Or should I be doing more than just using ROM Manager to make backups?

(I already one experience where a kernel didn't take and I couldn't past the M logo screen, but I was able to restore to one of my RM backups through Clockwork Recovery, so it seems like that's enough... but I'd like to be sure for the future.)

CDPTN1

Reaction score
If I install the easy root app on myDroid X, will it mess up my getting the OTA 2.2 download when it comes out? I'm kind of new at this and just want the root to use the Droid X as a wifi hotspot for my iPad. Thanks!

MSLfairy

Reaction score
I finally have a rooted Droid but i don't think it's complete or I missed a step. I know it took because the ROM selected also had a theme and the theme is displayed on the phone. BUT... I'm missing apps along with Android Market. When I go back into ROM Manager the ONLY highlighted items are in Recovery. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and Reboot into Recovery. Since I'm such a noob to this I don't think I completed, but not sure. I don't want to recover my previous un-rooted Droid. Please help!!!???? I want to continue to use my PDANet app and also check out the tether apps.

Grifter

Reaction score
If I install the easy root app on myDroid X, will it mess up my getting the OTA 2.2 download when it comes out? I'm kind of new at this and just want the root to use the Droid X as a wifi hotspot for my iPad. Thanks!

You will not be able to update to the new 2.2 unless you unroot, and then run the 2.2 update.

At that point, you'll probably need to wait to re-root your phone again until a new gui interface for rooting 2.2 is completed and posted.

So you'll have 2 options...Keep it rooted until a new root is done for 2.2 and then unroot and update to Froyo - Or unroot and then wait for a new root application for 2.2 and then re-root your phone.

CDPTN1

Reaction score
Easy Root

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if you know if the easy root is working well to unroot if you need to. I've seen some posts where people had mixed opinions on it.
Thanks for your answers.

Grifter

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I was wondering if you know if the easy root is working well to unroot if you need to. I've seen some posts where people had mixed opinions on it.
Thanks for your answers.

Doing the rooting was very easy - seriously. And I have never rooted before.

Now, I have not unrooted my phone using this aplication. Haven't attempted it to be honest, so I really can't comment on it as to how well it does or does not work.

....I supose I should try that at some point in time.....

CDPTN1

Reaction score
Easy Root

Thanks again for your input. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the root and see how it does. If you try the unroot, let me know how it turns out. Thanks.