Easy Root, one-click root for DROID 1 and DROID X, works as intended

DroidXer

Reaction score
Actually, let me rephrase. If I reload my backup, I am rooted. As soon as the install fails for 2.2, it unroots me.

DroidXer

Reaction score
Well now I'm not rooted anymore. And since I need to be rooted to restore my backup, I can't restore it. And the root app isn't working. I'm toggling bluetooth and wifi but it still doesn't work.

DroidXer

Reaction score
I'm able to get back to root here by getting into recovery. Let's try this again. It says that it can't find SU in bin/su and xbin/su do you have to manually copy the apk to there for some reason?

jfgoodysr

Reaction score
I'm new to android phones, so can anyone explain to a dufus what it means to root my phone, do I have to pay extra for it, and what benefits it has? Does it mean I can make my droid a wireless hotspot? Remember, the explanation needs to be simplified.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Root gives you total access to your phone, similar to running as an administrator on your PC instead of as a guest/limited account. This means more control but less security. That's the tradeoff.

You need to root your phone in order to put wireless tethering on a Droid 1. You need to root to put free tethering on ANY Droid -- 1, 2, Inc or X.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm able to get back to root here by getting into recovery. Let's try this again. It says that it can't find SU in bin/su and xbin/su do you have to manually copy the apk to there for some reason?
Try moving it. Sounds like Clockwork may have screwed up. It's been known to happen and development on the X is still relatively new.

DroidXer

Reaction score
I posted both here and on the other forums and can't seem to get a response. Trying to be patient. I don't NEED 2.2 but I'm a little frustrated. It's gotta be something simple.

FreeTrader

Reaction score
Ooops another hole LoL

I installed and ran this, but I have to wonder why it requires Bluetooth to be enabled when the app is running.

I hope I didn't make a mistake by running this, seeing as this has come up (found this AFTER I ran it... ugh...) Hackers Release Data-Stealing Program to Push Google to Plug Holes at Security Conference | Android Phone Fans

Found this rather interesting --->
Vincent wrote on August 1, 2010 Via

Hackers Release Data-Stealing Program to Push Google to Plug Holes at Security Conference | Android Phone Fans

that’s assuming your phone has been rooted by the standard means and has had the root-privileges-protecting Superuser.apk (and the custom su binary) installed. Otherwise if your phone isn’t rooted this app presumably does it for you and then happily abuses the privileges. So having a rooted phone probably serves to *protect* you against this more than anything.

So looks like we need to be more carefull than ever