DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1 (Android 2.1), Droid X, and EVO 4G from within app

auzcoy.jpg

Updated 8/2 @3:21PM EST: Don't use the leaked DMUpdater... could brick devices... info here. thanks to pilotcharles747 for the heads up! [Links removed]

--
Remember the DroidMod team, one of the first dev teams on the Droid scene way back when? DroidMod became famous for building the first custom recovery for the Droid (SPRecovery) and developing an app to root the Droid 1 (running Android 2.0.1). For awhile, however, the group had been in hibernation, supposedly working on a groundbreaking from-source ROM.

Well today, the DroidMod team proved it had not been idling all these months, as it released a new and improved version of its DMUpdater app. DMUpdater version 12 has the ability to root quite a few Android 2.1 phones from within the app, including the Droid 1, DROID X, and HTC Evo 4G. And remarkably, this is the first tool available to root a Droid 1 running 2.1, as previous methods required you to fiddle with USB drivers, ADB, and RSDLite. DMUpdater v12 is still considered beta, and not yet available in the Android Market. Also, SPRecovery is only meant for the Droid 1. Don't attempt to install SPRecovery on the EVO 4G or DROID X.

Download here: [link removed]

2eckqbt.jpg

So far we only tested DMUpdater 12 on the Droid 1, and the app roots and installs a custom recovery (SPRecovery) flawlessly. In addition, the app is designed to root the DROID X and HTC Evo 4G; this has not been confirmed on our end, so be wary. DO NOT FLASH SPRECOVERY ON ANYTHING BUT THE DROID 1. Also, note this version is still considered a beta, so it may not always work as intended. Let us know how it worked for you.

The instructions are straightforward:

1. Download install the APK (D1, DX, EVO)
2. Click, "Root my Phone" (D1, DX, EVO)
3. Click "Allow" when app requests SuperUser access (D1, DX, EVO)
4. Allow SPRecovery to be flashed on your phone (Droid 1 only)

Voila, your 2.1 Android handset is now rooted with a custom recovery (SPRecovery). Do not attempt this if you're running Android 2.2. We don't yet know the ramifications.

With such a simplified tool available, now is as good a time as any to root, dont'cha think?

Visit DroidMod.org for future support. Or find them in IRC: Freenode #droidmod

via Droid-Life

Last edited:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
haha i remember when they said they WERE NOT gonna do this but i guess they did cause of the other phones

haythem1992

Reaction score
Holy poodangle does it unroot 2.2 for those wonderful trips to the corporate store.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy poodangle does it unroot 2.2 for those wonderful trips to the corporate store.

ONLY WORKS FOR ANDROID 2.1. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST!

sorry, if you don't read the entire post, you risk bricking your phone.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is awesome news for Mac users running 2.1! Great news for everyone really but the fact RSD can't be run through a mac without having a virtual machine set up makes it all the more sweet for Mac's.

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
Can this root the droid x with the .604 update? (the one that made the x ****ty)

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can this root the droid x with the .604 update? (the one that made the x ****ty)

nothing is quite confirmed with the DROID X yet. it's still in beta after all. i'd hold off on that, or check in with the droidmod team on IRC

bronx finest

Reaction score
Earlier this week I ran an Update.zip to get me back to Stock Unrooted 2.1, so that I can take it back to the store to get it exchanged (screen unresponsiveness & glitching), but it had been killing me using my phone with that outdated stock 2.1 so I used DMU to reflash SPRecovery, and then Nandroid to restore my backup woot woot!

Anyone seeking an unroot stock 2.1, should use this file:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/49055-need-unroot-back-stock.html#post520707

droidman101

Reaction score
nah, it doesnt do anything for 2.2, it just errors out after asking for su permissions. no need to worry :)

droidman101

Reaction score
oh and ive posted this in like 3 threads already, this uses the same method the dx uses to root(which works for ALL android phones), not update.zip. does not require a reboot

dragonflyr

Reaction score
I am running STOCK 2.1 (2.1 -update 1) WITH SPRecovery already installed on my phone (was just getting into all of this and wanted to backup fist).

SO ... can I run this DMUpdater to give me root even tho I already have SPRecoevery already installed (with a backup already performed)?

thanks!!

Moto Droid 1, btw..

yahwarrior

Reaction score
I just received my replacement Droid 1 today and I must say that this works like a charm.

Mojo

Reaction score
this made my day!!! Does anyone have a link to the latest 2.2 vanilla android ROM with wifi tether and OC??

That is all I want :)

Sysgod

Reaction score
So the main post specifically states that this will work on the DX, however the 4th step says to allow SPRecovery to be flashed. I thought that this wasn't yet possible with the DX? Please advise...

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the main post specifically states that this will work on the DX, however the 4th step says to allow SPRecovery to be flashed. I thought that this wasn't yet possible with the DX? Please advise...

you are correct.
OP edited. Don't attempt to flash SPRecovery on the DROID X or HTC Evo 4G.