Easy Root, one-click root for DROID 1 and DROID X, works as intended

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I emailed the developer last night and he is saying that you can now root 2.2 also.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I need a freakin' course on what to do post-root. They have finally taken care of the hard part for me and I'm still lost.

Gonna troll the net for info. Thanks to the devs for getting us dummies on a level playing field.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Does the backup option in ROM Manager produce Nandroid backups, or the equivalent thereof? Or should I be doing more than just using ROM Manager to make backups?

(I already one experience where a kernel didn't take and I couldn't past the M logo screen, but I was able to restore to one of my RM backups through Clockwork Recovery, so it seems like that's enough... but I'd like to be sure for the future.)
I believe so. Sorry for the delay, I missed your post the first time.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I need a freakin' course on what to do post-root. They have finally taken care of the hard part for me and I'm still lost.

Gonna troll the net for info. Thanks to the devs for getting us dummies on a level playing field.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~
My previous post was to a specific post I'd made on this thread already. Sorry, I thought I'd clicked the quote message in reply checkbox and there's no Edit button on the news forum for us non-mods. :)

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP Updated.

Easy Root now can root Android 2.2 with one click!! let us know if it worked for you.

simeon

Reaction score
dancedroid: Just did this on the OTA 2.2 update on a previously Stock 2.1 non-rooted phone. Very transparent and straightforward.
icon_ banana:

missrachel

Reaction score
I will be trying this method this weekend! But I too need a post-root guide. Are there any additional apps we need to download after achieving root through EasyRoot? Backups and whatnot? Is ROM Manager the best way to download ROMs and themes or should we do it ourselves, and if so is there a guide for that? /n00b :(

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I will be trying this method this weekend! But I too need a post-root guide. Are there any additional apps we need to download after achieving root through EasyRoot? Backups and whatnot? Is ROM Manager the best way to download ROMs and themes or should we do it ourselves, and if so is there a guide for that? /n00b :(
Is this post of any use to you or do you need more detailed information?

missrachel

Reaction score
Is this post of any use to you or do you need more detailed information?

Hi FurBearingMammal (hehe) thanks for the info. So once I root with EasyRoot, I should install Clockwork MOD.. just not sure what it means to "flash in Clockwork Recovery". I am familiar with all these terms but not sure as to what they actually mean and what I am supposed to do. And a "nandroid backup" - is just a backup copy of the current system I am running? How do I copy that file to my PC? (( I guess I need more detailed information.. :\ ))

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hi FurBearingMammal (hehe) thanks for the info. So once I root with EasyRoot, I should install Clockwork MOD.. just not sure what it means to "flash in Clockwork Recovery". I am familiar with all these terms but not sure as to what they actually mean and what I am supposed to do. And a "nandroid backup" - is just a backup copy of the current system I am running? How do I copy that file to my PC? (( I guess I need more detailed information.. :\ ))

Okay, maybe I should do a full-on thread with step-by-step instructions... I guess it sucks for me I hate doing that. :) I'll try to get on that in the next little bit as I get time/motivation...

Okay, once you install ClockworkMOD (I prefer SPRecovery and doing the update.zips manually but that's personal preference. I like having that extra control. ClockworkMOD is easier as it does as much of the work for you as it can.) you'll have to flash Clockwork Recovery in order to use it. ClockworkMOD handles most of the work for you, you just tell it what you want to do. Flashing in Clockwork Recovery means you're replacing your stock recovery image with the Clockwork Recovery image, which allows you to install ROMs, custom kernels, and themes without having to mess around with Metamorph -- which if you don't know what you're doing with Metamorph you're better off NOT using.

Anyway, a nandroid backup is a snapshot of your system as it's set up, right down to widget installs and placement, wallpaper, and settings. Restoring a backup is like turning the clock back on your phone with a flux capacitor a la Back to the Future 1 and 2 (but not 3 because it sucked :D). If something goes haywire, like a bootloop or random crashes/reboots, and you want to roll your phone back, you'd use a nandroid. You won't have to reinstall anything or set anything back up unless you changed it since your last backup. This is why it's VITAL to make nandroid backups before any update, ROM, kernel, or theme flash, and why it's a good thing to do every few days/week as you see fit.

To copy a Nandroid is the same as copying any file between your phone and your computer. Plug the USB cable into the phone and the computer, wait for your phone to say the USB cable is connected, drag down the notification window and select where it say "USB connected" and then turn on USB mass storage. Go to "My Computer" and locate the new removable storage device, open it, find the Nandroid folder (I believe it's on the root of the SD card -- root here has nothing to do with rooting your phone), and copy the latest backup folder to your PC in a safe location. The reason why you want to keep this on your PC is if anything happens to your SD card you can replace it and NOT lose your backups. Besides, you never know if you might need it for some reason, or might want to save space on your SD card -- each backup is well over 100MB. :)

Okay, I hope that helps. If it was a little confusing and you can wait a while, I'll try to get that other thread with step-by-step instructions up before midnight Eastern time tonight. And yes, if I set my mind to it, I can make things VERY clear. :D

missrachel

Reaction score

Okay, maybe I should do a full-on thread with step-by-step instructions... I guess it sucks for me I hate doing that. :) I'll try to get on that in the next little bit as I get time/motivation...

Okay, once you install ClockworkMOD (I prefer SPRecovery and doing the update.zips manually but that's personal preference. I like having that extra control. ClockworkMOD is easier as it does as much of the work for you as it can.) you'll have to flash Clockwork Recovery in order to use it. ClockworkMOD handles most of the work for you, you just tell it what you want to do. Flashing in Clockwork Recovery means you're replacing your stock recovery image with the Clockwork Recovery image, which allows you to install ROMs, custom kernels, and themes without having to mess around with Metamorph -- which if you don't know what you're doing with Metamorph you're better off NOT using.

Anyway, a nandroid backup is a snapshot of your system as it's set up, right down to widget installs and placement, wallpaper, and settings. Restoring a backup is like turning the clock back on your phone with a flux capacitor a la Back to the Future 1 and 2 (but not 3 because it sucked :D). If something goes haywire, like a bootloop or random crashes/reboots, and you want to roll your phone back, you'd use a nandroid. You won't have to reinstall anything or set anything back up unless you changed it since your last backup. This is why it's VITAL to make nandroid backups before any update, ROM, kernel, or theme flash, and why it's a good thing to do every few days/week as you see fit.

To copy a Nandroid is the same as copying any file between your phone and your computer. Plug the USB cable into the phone and the computer, wait for your phone to say the USB cable is connected, drag down the notification window and select where it say "USB connected" and then turn on USB mass storage. Go to "My Computer" and locate the new removable storage device, open it, find the Nandroid folder (I believe it's on the root of the SD card -- root here has nothing to do with rooting your phone), and copy the latest backup folder to your PC in a safe location. The reason why you want to keep this on your PC is if anything happens to your SD card you can replace it and NOT lose your backups. Besides, you never know if you might need it for some reason, or might want to save space on your SD card -- each backup is well over 100MB. :)

Okay, I hope that helps. If it was a little confusing and you can wait a while, I'll try to get that other thread with step-by-step instructions up before midnight Eastern time tonight. And yes, if I set my mind to it, I can make things VERY clear. :D

Thank you VERY much for all of this information!! It is very helpful!! I know I would truly appreciate a step-by-step guide for how to install ROMs, Kernels, etc written in somewhat n00b language lol... there is alot of great information on these forums but it is so scattered and sometimes complicated that it's tough for n00bs to learn. So as frustrated as it is for techs, devs, etc... it's equally frustrating for n00bs. Sometimes moreso because we want to learn so bad!!! :)

Anyway... I'm still a bit confused on your first paragraph about ClockworkMOD. I have not yet rooted and installed the app so it may be alot simpler than it seems once I am looking at the menu.

Flashing in Clockwork Recovery means you're replacing your
stock recovery image with the Clockwork Recovery image <-- "Recovery image"... is that like a nandroid backup?? Once I install the program, is it as simple as hitting a button that says "flash clockwork recovery"? And once I do so, is that the program I'll use to install custom ROMs and Kernels? That would be my next question... how do I do those things..?

Thank you again for your help and no rush in getting back to me... I probably won't be rooting and working on this until Sunday, when I have off work.. but I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as I can! :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The recovery image is nothing like a nandroid backup. You use the alternate recovery image to make nandroid backups.

And yes, once you have ClockworkMOD installed it prompts you to flash in the Clockwork Recovery, at which point you don't have to worry about the stock recovery image. :) This is one of those cases where you don't need to know the exact specifics of what you're doing to know why you want to do it.

If your only interest in rooting is to tether you don't need ClockworkMOD, just the rooting program and the tethering app(s) you want to use. I probably put step 3 ahead of step 1 in my first post-rooting guide. :icon_eek: If you want to overclock, you'll need SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery (and therefore ClockworkMOD) installed. If you want to theme without using Metamorph, you'll need SPRecovery or ClockworkMOD installed. If you want ROMs... Well, I think you see where this is going. :)

But yes, ClockworkMOD handles most (if not all) of the Clockwork Recovery installation by itself. Just tell it to do it and do what it tells you to do. :)